zumba + MFP

Options
I go to zumba a few times a week but I am not sure what I should put into mfp exercise log. I have been putting aerobics in but I'm not sure how close this is. The class I go to is pretty intense so if anyone knows for sure let me know.

Replies

• Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I hope someone has the answer! x
  • neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I put it down as dancing. Don't know if that's right or not.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I log it as aerobics and just choose my level of exertion/effort.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM to use, here is a website http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would be VERY conservative logging anything without a HRM, ESPECIALLY if it is something you can't really measure (like running where you can measure how far you ran in how much time, and even this can be WAY off).

I just did my first Zumba workout yesterday, and I must say I was VERY dissappointed with how much cals I actually burned...maybe the instructor wasn't very good, but I won't be doing it again any time soon.

Your best bet is to get a HRM. Otherwise, use extreme caution!
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    There is a fab calculator at:

http://www.zumbacalories.com

But with all these things, assumptions are made and averages taken.

For true, individual accuracy you need a heart rate monitor.
  • E_K71
    E_K71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is a link to a zumba calculator :smile:

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • Tyeckia
    Tyeckia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The answer, I think, is to use a HRM so you'll know exactly how much you're burning. My best investment ever!
  • EliBond
    EliBond Posts: 23
    Options
    I spoke to my zumba instructor about how many calories it burns and did some research and it's a lot more than intense aerobics at around 1,100 calories a session! - WIN

I've tried to add it to the database but I don't know if it works otherwise, I've just been putting the numbers in.

P.S I LOVE ZUMBA

=]
  • ladyhrist
    ladyhrist Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Wii Zumba which, thankfully, does the calculations automatically. I went and looked and there didn't seem to be an entry for Zumba at all, so I had to make one for the Wii. I do know that three low-intensity songs for 15 minutes, cooldown included, was a net loss of 226 calories for me. I don't know how helpful that is, but I hope it helps someone.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my zumba instructor about how many calories it burns and did some research and it's a lot more than intense aerobics at around 1,100 calories a session! - WIN

I've tried to add it to the database but I don't know if it works otherwise, I've just been putting the numbers in.

P.S I LOVE ZUMBA

=]

Yeah, I REALLY doubt this. Plus it depends on how long the sessions are, and cal burns are ALWAYS different for everyone. If you are putting in 1100 cals in a zumba burn...then you are probably WAY overestimating your burn unless you did it for like 3 hours and couldn't breathe the whole time.

Of course instructors are going to tell you it burns a bunch because they want you to take their class and feel like you accomplished alot.:indifferent:

The only way you know for SURE is with a HRM.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My polar FT60 showed up more or less identical to high impact aerobics. I was working hard at it though. You said your class is intense so I guess it would be pretty accurate x
  • treasa327
    treasa327 Posts: 8
    Options
    here is a link that might help
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/

for myself i work it as 648 calories burned per hour.....that is an intense zumba class- depends how much effort i put into it. it compares closely to the same amount of energy i put into my hour long no-contact kickboxing class.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    While HRM are probably more accurate than other methods, it's probably also good to keep in mind that the values from HRMs are also estimates, and like other methods, may be particularly prone to overestimating calories burned, since the perception is that customers will be happier if the burns are higher.

I'd advise a combination of conservative estimates and watching your weight. Over time, if you are not losing weight, and you are staying within your calories, the problem may be that you're overestimating calories burned. On the other hand, if you're losing faster than expected, you may be underestimating.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just did one of the Zumba DVD's tonight and according to my HRM I burned 368 calories in 40 minutes. I was exerting myself to the fullest also.
  • Xoxa1029
    Xoxa1029 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I play the new game on Kinect and it is so fun I don't feel like I am working out at all! It is a bummer that it isn't in the database. But I have a fitbit so the steps link onto MFP.