How much running

Options
Hi all

I started running 8 weeks back, I can currently run 6 miles, I also go to a boot camp once a week.
If I stick to 1200 calls per day how much running do I need to do until I start seeing inch loss?
I have a dress size to loose and Pettite....hence low cal range

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How many times a week are you running?

How petite is petite? You may find that you're creating too much of a caloric deficit which in turn impacts on fatigue which in turn affects running form which may increase the likelihood of injury while running.
  • monpettitefleur
    Options
    Hi

I'm doing twice a week (5k each) plus bootcamp which includes running

I'm 5ft, 33 yr old female

Thanks do much
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    Hi

I'm doing twice a week (5k each) plus bootcamp which includes running

I'm 5ft, 33 yr old female

Thanks do much

That's pretty good, but If I were you. Instead of doing it all in one day, I would run 2 miles 5 days a week, to see more inch loss.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    First of all, you need to eat your calories back. There's a whole debate on whether or not to eat the calories back and you can search "eat exercise calories" for both sides of that debate in the forums. Second of all, it's really about calories in, calories out. Yes, we think "runners are skinny" but in reality, that's because we see the elite runners. Duh they're skinny. But go to any local 5K and you'll see people of all shapes and sizes, including some who wear plus size clothing who can pound out a pretty good time, sub 30 minute or less, in the 5K. At the end of the day, "abs are made in the kitchen." Weight loss is about 70-80% nutrition, only 20-30% exercise. Don't focus on running more miles to lose weight, focus on eating at least a net 1200 (not the same as just eating 1200, again you can search that on the forums) calories per day, incorporate strength training to build more muscle which will in turn make you lose inches, and keep up your running.

FWIW, I lost most of my weight running no more than 12 miles per week. Since I started running longer (up to half marathons) I have only lost maybe 5 more pounds, but that's probably 75% due to very closely watching my macronutrients and calories.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    But go to any local 5K and you'll see people of all shapes and sizes, including some who wear plus size clothing who can pound out a pretty good time, sub 30 minute or less, in the 5K.

Not just 5Ks..........you tend to see fewer heavier runners at the marathon level but there are certainly lots of us at the half marathon distance that don't fit the 140lbs soaking wet stereotype.