swimming with the polar hrm

Options
irishkiss
irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
Has anyone swam with it? Im kinda scared to because I really like having it and dont want to mess it up!!

Replies

• Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrnIdGirl
    BrnIdGirl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this also
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have taken my Polar FT7 for a swim a few times without issue, just makesure you rinse everything off in fresh water afterwards. I shower after a swim so I wear it in and wash and remove it there.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Most models are claimed to be waterproof. Why not check out your model with your retailer ?o r else contact your local Polar service centre.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I swam with my FT7, and although I read on other forums that it was fine, mine wouldn't sync up. PLUS the strap kept sliding down my chest. After 4 laps, I just gave up on it. I hope others can steer me straight too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I swam with my FT7, and although I read on other forums that it was fine, mine wouldn't sync up. PLUS the strap kept sliding down my chest. After 4 laps, I just gave up on it. I hope others can steer me straight too.

If yours wouldn't sync up, and the strap was sliding, then your strap was way too loose. Both of the sensors on the chest transmitter have to make contact with your skin in order to catch the electrical signal from your heart. Tighten it.

I've had mine on for lots of swimming trips, also snorkeling, and scuba diving (to 87 feet deep) and it worked fine. Polar is made by Suunto, who also makes dive computers - including the dive computer I use. The heart rate monitor is rated water resistant to 50 meters deep. I don't mess with mine if I am diving deep with it, I don't press the buttons: I don't want to give it any reason to let any water in any of the button depressions, but I've found mine to work great!

edit oooooops! 50 meters -
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    @Trail_Addict, that is because you are a slick operator. I had this people at first too when I would kick off the wall, I solved it by using some waterproof medical tape {just a small strip} did the job. Yes check and ensure that the device you are using is waterproof.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    One more thing, Trail Addict...stop swimming so fast! No, I was thinking that maybe the reason my strap stays tight enough is because I am a woman and it is always covered with a bathing suit. I can see how a slightly loose strap could slide more on a man.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I swam with mine and it was fine, they are water proof per the website
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks...mine said water resistant per instructions...but there was still some doubt. I did read you are not supposed to push buttons. I just wanted to hear if other people did it to ease my fears. Thanks all gonna try it this week.:bigsmile: