Is it worth buying a bike?

I'm just about to get on track after messing up for about 2 months, luckily I've not put on a pound, but I've not lost either, which is obviously my point.

I need to get some exercise back into my life, I work full time and enjoy spending time with my boy when I'm home, then I got about 4 hours before I go to bed once hes asleep, so I've got the time definatly, but not the space!

I'm back living with my parents at the moment so can't really do anything noisy, I don't wanna pee them off after letting me back home and I don't really want to join a gym but I do enjoy being outdoors. And biking can be done in any weather, which is great.

So would buying a bike be a good idea? Around an hour a day ride 3-4x a week? Is it gunna be enough?

I walk to and from work, 25 minutes each way but I think I've been doing that for so long now my body doesn't even register it.

Or does anyone else have any good ideas?

Thank you

Replies

• poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    I think the bike is a great idea. It's something you can enjoy doing with your son as he grows older.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I love my bike, and it's totally good exercise. If you live in an area that's hilly, an hour a day will be plenty.

ETA: I'm not saying biking in flat areas isn't worth it, I just don't happen to live in one so I have no experience with flat riding.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Biking is both great exercise and a lot of fun. Ditto on biking with you boy when he's old enough.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Yeah would love to go on bike rides when he's a bit older!! We have a few hills, not a ton but enough that I can get around a few!

I thought with a bike my parents are here for him when he's sleeping and when I move I assume I'll have enough room to get some exercise equitment in there so it all seemed like a good plan to me!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Just got one and enjoy it. I use it for a change of pace or easy workout. Should be able to get a decent one for $150 - 250. Less if you get used or go without gears.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    People underestimate how much of a work out your legs & abs get with a bike. I've been wanting to get one for a while now, I just haven't had a chance to save up. Our gym isn't too far away, so my plan is to get one to start biking to the gym. I also want to get one of those little trailers that go behind the bike so that I can put my daughter in it & we can go for a ride. A bike is an excellent idea.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    People underestimate how much of a work out your legs & abs get with a bike. I've been wanting to get one for a while now, I just haven't had a chance to save up. Our gym isn't too far away, so my plan is to get one to start biking to the gym. I also want to get one of those little trailers that go behind the bike so that I can put my daughter in it & we can go for a ride. A bike is an excellent idea.

I bike to the gym whenever the weather is favorable, in fact I'm currently lacing up to go! It's brutal coming home after squats! People also don't realize how much you use your chest...I never noticed it much until riding home after lifting heavy my chest.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I LOVE MY BIKE!!!!!
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    It will definitely be worth buying a bike! I have no car, so I bike literally everywhere and I love it! It adds 3 hours of biking to my exercise routine every week :)
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Yeah it's worth it!!! Don't scab out on it though- you might have to pay a bit more, but get a good one!!! That way it'll last you, and you'll find in the long run it'll pays itself off easily- getting a crappy bike will only result in a headache!!
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member

I bike to the gym whenever the weather is favorable, in fact I'm currently lacing up to go! It's brutal coming home after squats! People also don't realize how much you use your chest...I never noticed it much until riding home after lifting heavy my chest.

I used to bike everywhere when I was a kid, I just remember how much fun it was. Since the gym is just a couple miles away, I feel guilty for getting in my car & driving, but it's too much of a walk to do with my 3 year old. It would take forever to get there if I had to walk with her. The added cardio would be awesome. I can only imagine the ride home after working out your legs.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Best investment you can make for your health. I went on a nice little ride this morning 35 miles and burned 2700 calories. I would have to spend all day on a treadmill or elliptical to get the same work out.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I love my bike. I have a Trek Navigator hybrid women's bike. I have it outfitted with a pannier system and a trunk bag and a big handlebar bag. I use it to go to the grocery store and local errands. I also like to ride out on the wilderness trails in the national parks nearby here.

Highly recommend biking!
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Yes it is..but get one all put together! :) I think you will not be sorry at all. I love riding my bike because it makes me feel free even tho I have a car.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I think mixing it up is always good. if you walk at 3 MPH, and bike at 8 or 9 MPH, you'll get about the same burn. If you really up it to 12-15 MPH it will be more comparable to running. You can run some numbers in the cardio calculator. The one thing you can do running or walking, that you can do on a bike, is coast down hills. ;)

We have bought new and used bikes. just get a proper fitting one. For what you want to do, the quality isn't going to be a huge deal. My wife has a $1000 bike, and I have $300. What matters is comfort so that you'll enjoy it. You can put a great saddle on a cheap bike.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Go for it!! I love my bike:) I have a Specialized hybrid that I got for 400$ from our local bike shop because it was a two years prior model.
  • ALargeBear
    ALargeBear Posts: 6 Member
    It's great exercise and a good stress reliever. Make sure to drink enough fluid while riding, and wear a helmet and use lights/reflective gear. Start out easy so you don't get discouraged if it's been awhile since you've ridden, but challenge yourself gradually.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    I'm 53 and bought my first bike last September; I love it in spite of being deliberately knocked off my bike Saturday by some creeps in a pick up truck. I even run errands on my bike and I'm thinking about adding panniers so I can do my shopping rather than driving. Even if all you can afford is a nice used bike, I say go for it.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Yeah would love to go on bike rides when he's a bit older!! We have a few hills, not a ton but enough that I can get around a few!

When he's 11 you might even get to ride with him on Mother's Day, like I did with my rugrat, today.
    577964_3971969461962_1362296891_3581361_1878321666_n.jpg

Yes, he was pretending to pick his nose. 11 year old boys are just as silly as full-grown ones. :huh:
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    i love my bike! i didnt buy a fancy cycling bike or anything. i just bought a pink schwinn from walmart for $100 and i love it.