Curious Physician with Type 2 Diabetes

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
Hi.

I'm a 54 y/o (DOB: 11/27/57) white male physician with history of well controlled self-diagnosed type 2 diabetes for 7 years. When I first diagnosed myself in 2005, I weighed 230 lbs. I am 6 ft 1 in tall. I went on a diet and exercise program and lost 25 lb. Over the last 7 years, my weight has gone from 205 to 212. It's time to lose some weight again. I started using this application on 5/512.

Let's see how this goes.

Replies

• samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey. I have found MFP very helpful in tracking my eating and helping me with portion control.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We are please to have you here. There is a lot of support here. Lots of good advice.
    Logging your food and exercise is a real eyeopener. Also if you actually measure and weigh your food you will see why it is so hard to lose. We have all been fed giant portions for so long we have no real clue how much we need.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Welcome! Tons of information available on this site. Lots of support and motivation...You give it..You get it back. Works both ways...Good luck on this journey. I am addicted to MFP and it has helped me lose over 30 lbs.....since January 9 th. Logging keeps you accountable. I try to meal plan at least 3 days ahead. that way I always have something to eat that is healthier. Today being a holiday it was a tad difficult.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am no longer diabetic (in fact quite the opposite now) because of weight loss. I just sent a FR
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've had great luck managing my Type 2 with a low carb diet. All my readings for 2 weeks have been completely normal without medication. Though who am I telling, you're the Dr!
  • kamile83
    kamile83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Also if you actually measure and weigh your food you will see why it is so hard to lose. We have all been fed giant portions for so long we have no real clue how much we need."

This!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Nurse here. Lots of good support. The challenge is to keep track every day and measure your portions. It is kind of hard to believe how much you can mindlessly eat without being aware that you are doing it. I know you have a busy life but you will have to commit to keeping track and logging. Whether you plan it out the night before or log it as you go you will be successful if you are persistent and committed. This journey is not for a few months to loose the weight and then return to the old ways. Have to be in it for the long haul and continue to log even when you are on maintenance. Good luck and welcome.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm greeting everybody!

My goal:
    1. 207 lb to 185 lb

My plan:
    1. 1 hr of full-body resistance training on MWF
    2. 1 hr of cardio on TTS
    3. Weekly deficit of 3600 calories
    Sounds like a reasonable and good plan! Feel free to add me if you want "support" and comments along the way.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why "self diagnosed".? You know the saying, " the doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient...."?

Kidding aside, congratulations on your work so far and good luck with your future plans (but you should really get yourself a GP!)
  • kerbylin
    kerbylin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Will be looking forward to your progress.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    you GO Doc! Good to see a doctor doing the same as he'd prescribe for a patient! LOVE going in to see a doc who suggests I lose a few pounds, while he can't bend over to tie his own shoe laces! ROFL Great job, I see elite in your future!. ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I'm a type 1 diabetic and former type 2 diabetic (aka "double diabetes") for many years when I was very overweight and obese. Of course, I will always have type 1 and I have found that continuing LCHF makes BG much easier to manage. I understand the carb addiction as I can eat tens of thousands of calories per day if I let myself eat certain foods. Personally, I have found it easier to manage if I don't touch carbs at all.

Even though I no longer have enough insulin resistance to be considered a type 2, my goal is 10% body fat (I'm about 10 lbs. away). The plan is to continue eating LCHF for life. My last VO2 Max test showed 49.3, which is considered Excellent for my age /gender according to the testing facility's chart:

5e8d506807382afc10f8b4babfd6e01b.png

Feel free to send a friend request if you would like.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was just looking for similar people. Currently age 42. I am have Diabetes Mellitus. Probably had for 6 years with no meds for three years until a month ago. I lost insurance and stopped seeing the doctor. Finally had the labwork done and went to the doctor. Now taking Metformin and cholesterol drugs. Also on a 150 carb diet. I can definitely see the difference. No longer running to the bathroom every 2 doors, no more waking up with a cold sweat. Please add me for moral support.