Protien powder/ Whey powder whats the difference?

Just curious...Is there a difference?

Replies

• rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    There are many types of protein powders, whey is just one type.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Whey is dairy.... So if you are vegan, that is one difference. While I am not completely vegan anymore, I like using a vegan prootein powder called Sum Warrior.
  • x12jenar13x
    x12jenar13x Posts: 15
    whey is pretty much a fast release protein. It's ideal for pre or post workout. Then you have casein protein which is a slow release protein, ideal for your non workout day and before bed.
  • x12jenar13x
    x12jenar13x Posts: 15
    for got to add something. protein powder shake is the same. it's what kind of protein powder do you want. Fast acting or slow acting or both.
  • whey is pretty much a fast release protein. It's ideal for pre or post workout. Then you have casein protein which is a slow release protein, ideal for your non workout day and before bed.

Most vegans know this, but both whey and casein are milk products.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    whey is pretty much a fast release protein. It's ideal for pre or post workout. Then you have casein protein which is a slow release protein, ideal for your non workout day and before bed.

Most vegans know this, but both whey and casein are milk products.
    I could be wrong, but i always thought Casein was an egg product. Just looked it up and i guess i was wrong. I could swear i once read Casein was an egg product. Anyhow, now i'm also informed. LOL
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    All whey powder is protein powder. Not all protein powder is whey.

Found this site recently and am LOVING it. http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx
    Create your own custom mix of proteins, carbs, fats, and/or other supplements with your own choice of flavor and sweetener... GMO free vegan and omnivore options.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member

I'm glad someone said "before bed." When it's like 7pm or so, if I hadn't had enough protein during the day, I'll have a whey protein shake around that time. I go to bed between 9-9:30.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member

Whey is fast only when compared to casein in fact. For timing purposes (like pre-workout or if you are adamant about fast post workout), whey is much much too slow to make a difference.

The only real fast release proteins that I'm aware of would be pure amino acids or whey hydrolysate. And even that takes 60-80 minutes to enter the blood stream.

Check point 8 here : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths