Horse Riders!

Options
Hi all horse riders on MFP, if there are any. (Message boards are so filled with running and heavy lifting topics that I'm starting to think that that's all people here do.) I'd like to get know you, maybe add as a friend if you want to.

A few questions:
Where do you ride and do you have a horse of your own?
How long have you been riding?
What kind of riding do you do (western, show jumping, etc.)?
Do you compete?
What else do you do besides riding?
And whatever else you want to tell.

About me:

I've been riding since '99, so a bit over 13 years now. I ride in a riding school once a week (not during summer though), anything else is way too expensive for me. Having an own horse here would cost more than what I need for my own living. Yet I'm happy with this, I get spend time with horses, I'm not terribly broke, I don't have to worry about feeding, calling a vet, waking up early and stuff.

I ride English style and group I ride in is focused on show jumping, though we do flat work too. The riding school I go to focuses a lot on riding more with your body and legs, and less with your hands, and getting the horse relaxed and comfortable. I like it there very much, the groups are small, 4 to 6 riders The horses and ponies are all different and none of them work automatically - so when the teacher says "trot", none of the horses starts trotting without the riding telling them to do so. Love the place!

I don't compete, though I've participated in many small competitions intended for the riders who take lessons at our stable. Also we once went to another stable for only a slightly bigger show jumping comp, riders from our stable took the the first, second and fourth places. :) (I was second!) I just love being around animals and getting better with my own riding, so competitions are not super important. I wouldn't have the money to do them a lot anyway.

I fallen of a horse about a dozen times, so not that many. One time was kinda bad, the horse tripped on an obstacle (totally my fault, the gallop was not good and we were just way too hasty) and I lost my balance and fell of a galloping horse. I lost my consciousness for a few minutes (or so they told me) and got a concussion. I had a helmet on, I never ride without one, and think it would have been a lot worse without one. I had a head ache for a week after that, and never quite trusted that horse any more.

Besides riding I run, swim, and randomly play fitness games on our Wii. I'd like to get stronger legs and abs for riding. At the last lesson the horse would not listen to my outer leg on corners and circles, but I could not have been any stronger with it. So frustrating! It might be that I'm not strong enough, or that my technique is not quite there yet.

Do you guys have any exercises that would be particularly good for riders? Especially for getting legs stronger - I know how to do abs! :)

Good for us choosing a really great sport! We get cardio exercises when riding, strength when carrying around saddles and stuff, and mental well being from hanging around with the great animals.

Replies

• amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i have been riding pretty much since i was born ahah well not quite, but they have been in my life since day one, and even before i was walking i was sat up on horses. so i count that lol. i proably started properly about 18 years ago so when i was like 2 :) i have my own horseyyyyyy and i ride english. im a big fan of x-country, but i will turn my hand to both dressage and showjumping. im actually big on gymkhanas too :) i used to compete but lifes a bit hectic with work uni etc.
    ridings not my only sport. i play netball, i used to compete at gymnastic and im a competitive runner. oh im also a Personal Trainer. im currently at uni doing a BSC degree in exercise and sport stuffffs. thats it really :)
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I have been horse-riding on and off since I was 11 years old (1984). When I was a teenager I had a few ponies on loan to me and then got my own horse when I was 16. I had her a couple of years and then had to sell her as I went off to University. I did do a lot of show-jumping competitions with her. I didn't ride again until my late twenties and ended up getting a horse on loan who was a half bred arab. I became pregnant in 2005 and had to give him up. He was quite a problematic horse and I lost a lot of confidence as a result!! I eventually returned to riding lessons in 2007 but had to give it up again due to cost. I would love to start riding again in the future but it is so expensive (£25 for half an hour private lesson in Scotland!!) and we are saving up a deposit for a house at the moment.

I've been on a few horsey holidays in the UK and in Portugal but I would love to go on a Western riding holiday in the USA!!
  • Hayley7611
    Hayley7611 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey there! So glad to see there are some horse buddies on here :). I own 5 horses of my own, and love them all to death. All different types. . Paint, Quarter Horses, Paso Fino, and an Arabian. I train them all myself and the only riding I do anymore is just trail/endurance riding. So much fun! I have been riding all my life and started training appx 7 yrs ago. I'm located in good ole TN and that is where all my riding takes place!
  • wolf2000
    wolf2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been riding for about 4 years. I ride western. We have 3 horses. I do gymkhanas, trail riding, roping. I may have only been riding for a short time but I love riding and many of my horse world friends are very surprised to learn I have only been riding for 4 years. I am a pastor and we recently started VT's first Cowboy Church. I love working with the rural and equestrian culture. Prior to getting heavily into riding I have done one sprint triathalon and it is my goal to get back into doing triathlons again. Hopeing that might help me loose the 20 pounds i put on going back to school. I just turned 30 and want to set a good example for my 3 kids about healthy eating and getting exercise. That's why my wife and I have both recently joined MFP. Hope to make some new friends on here as we all go about getting in shape.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I haven't been riding in a few years but this winter I'm going to be signing up for lessons (switching from English to Western) as i'll have a bit more money hanging around for such a thing. BUUUUUUT...

Where do you ride and do you have a horse of your own? a stable local to my parents house, Camelstone and no sadly i do not anymore

How long have you been riding? about 10 years, English

What kind of riding do you do (western, show jumping, etc.)? English, i was mainly into dressage but a couple years ago overcame my intense fear of jumping

Do you compete? no

What else do you do besides riding? lift weights, run, swim, hike...
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started riding when I turned 50yrs old to get over my fear of horses. My daughter has been riding her whole life and I was the one who would take her to her lessons.

I now own 2 horses and keep them at home. I ride western. I havent ridden for over a year because of my weight and the fact that I couldnt get off the couch. I joined a gym and things have changed for the better!

I am starting lessons again in June and really looking forward to it!

I hope to take one of my horses to a show in September - at least that is my goal..lol

I have a personal trainer who I do strength training with as well as weight lifting and walk/running. I go to the gym 3 times a week and do my walk / run twice a week with the running group there.
  • equinescrapper
    Options
    Where do you ride and do you have a horse of your own? We live in the Northeast USA. I personally don't own a horse but my mom does so I can ride him whenever I want. He is a 10 year old Paint gelding. We owned his momma too but had to put her down in 2005 due to COPD. Breeding her was the best thing we have ever done. We have had him since the moment he was born and have worked very hard to make him a safe, quiet boy that my niece (6 years old) and my daughter (2 years old) can ride.

How long have you been riding? Started riding in 1998, but my time in the saddle has been very in frequent. My mom boards our boy about an hour north of my house so just going to the barn after work is not really an option. I try to get up there on the weekends but that is also super hard with being a mom and trying to run our own house.

What kind of riding do you do (western, show jumping, etc.)? I mostly ride to have fun. I don't have the confidence to jump or really push the limits. I fell during a trail ride 10 years ago and broke my arm. I gained most of my weight during my recovery and then winter came and didn't do a whole lot. Now that I'm heavier, I don't have the seat or muscle tone that I want.

Do you compete? I don't show our own horse. However, about 4 years ago I had the opportunity to show a friend's appaloosa for in state shows. I did walk/trot (I can canter, but again, no muscle/seat so I'm not ready to go to the next level) and did pretty well. The horse was safe, but afraid of lots of things so it was a stressful summer. Lots of work!

What else do you do besides riding? For exercise, I've just been walking on our treadmill. I love to hike and my husband has recently gotten into that with me. We love to go as a family. Husband carries our daughter and I get to carry everything else :) We have tons of challenging trails locally and within a short drive of our house. I'm looking forward to our memorial day camping trip and to spend a week in the state park up north.
  • appyspirit
    appyspirit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am one of those people who has never outgrown her 10-year-old girl love of horses. I took lessons for about a year in 7th grade, and then went back to it in my 30's. Presently, I have a huge Appaloosa gelding that I rescued from the feedlot. He has been an interesting puzzle to solve, and it has taken a couple of years to get to a decent level of trust where we are both starting to feel pretty comfortable riding. At 51, being the sole breadwinner in our home, I am not a big risk-taker! However, since joining MFP, I have been managing to ride on any day I have off (weather permitting). Now, I am finding that I look forward to rides, rather than dreading them. And my horse is gladly coming to greet me at the pasture gate! I'm feeling stronger and have more energy, which is absolutely wonderful. It is nice to find a horse community here on MFP, and to see others pursuing similar goals.
  • MissAmyzing
    Options
    Hey there!

In high school I used to ride 5-7x a week, mostly volunteering at the barn that led trail rides. I also leased a stubborn, tough, loving and wonderful Paint Horse who was my first love for a long time until his owners had to get rid of him for "behavioral issues" :(.

So several years and one toddler later, I'm back at it, and I'm taking hunter-jumper lessons once a week at the local barn, and I absolutely LOVE my trainer! It's great to be back at it again, and is awesome to be learning a completely different discipline! Any other horsey folks out there, feel free to add me! <3
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi!! I am a horse lover/rider. I own 5 horses and 1 shetland. We rescue horses and 4 of the 6 are rescues. I have a full blooded Arabian from an awesome bloodline. Also a Missouri Foxtrotter that is a retired therapy/rehabilitation horse, who is the best trained horse I have ever owned, AND was given to me!! 3 quarter horses that are paints and Buster the shetland. One of the quarter horses was near death when I bought him for $100. He was put out to pasture at 4 mths old and forgotton. We got him at 1 yr old and was no bigger than a 5 mth old. He was so skinny and full of worms and had quit drinking water. Had to hydrate him with a baster. But he is now full grown and 7 yrs old and healthy. The Arab was beaten, starved, amd left with no water. Another quarter was trained by a mean trainer and has trust issues. But I love them all. The shetland was bought at a sale and had huge globs of hair falling out, was skinny and in horrible shape. I ride western. Have had horses since I was 12 (I am now 56). I dont show. Never did. Just pleasure riding. Keep up with riding!! Horses are A W E S O M E!!!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hi, not a rider, although I rode when younger and was apparently good. I love horses and fortunately live near the New Forest, in England, which is abundant with horses and ponies wandering freely about. I also love Harry Potter, and that is another thing about your post that caught my eye.
  • Xatholasian
    Options
    Hello, I have been riding since I was 7 yrs old. I have ridden everything from Huntseat, Dressage, a very little jumping, Western pleasure and some Western Horsemanship. That was all back when I was young and in school. Now I trail ride as much as I can. I have 3 horses (OTT Standardbreds) I call my own and 2 boarders that stay with me too.

My riding buddy and I have been planning a dream vacation to a place in WY, but there is a weigh limit which I am not under yet. Granted my goal weight is well under that limit, and I know once I achieve my goal my personal horses will thank me over and over for the change.

I am always looking for more horsey friends on here so any of you that are looking to, feel free to friend me... :)
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 44 and have been showing Arabian and Half Arabian horses my whole life. my dad is a horse trainer (and retired electrian) and i grew up on a 50 horse farm in Ohio. we have downsized over the years but still show. i do a lot of trail riding now that i've retired my show horse but still take him to a few shows a year in Arabian Native Costume, my fav class, and his. he is the one in my profile pic and was my Country English Pleasure horse for years. i've shown English (saddleseat) pleasure, Park, Country English, Costume, Western, Saddleseat Equitation and halter. we were on a national level for years and cut back when we downsized. through the years i have shown Saddlebreds and Morgans for clients. there is nothing more thrilling than riding an explosive Park Horse, such an experience!!! my son who is now 14 will ride to play around but i showed up until i was 7 months preg with him and he has been on the back of a horse since he was an infant but doesnt have the same desire as i did when i was little. he's into football and 4 wheelers more but i will always have horse running through my veins, just like my dad. we moved a couple times to diff farms and built new barns with indoor arenas...in ohio/pa....we needed indoor facilities to train horse year round.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend rides and has done show jumping as well. It seems like the inner-thighs and lower back are pretty important. If you're looking for one big exercise that will hit that as well as quads then Sumo Deadlifts are a great exercise for you, sets of 3-5 reps.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been running barrels since the age of 6 (I'm 29). We have 3 horses. The heat index today is 120 degrees so at this time of year, it's a total chore to get out there!

21o6fx1.jpg
  • KatTheAmazon
    KatTheAmazon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been riding since I was 12. In my early twenties I didn't ride regularly due to college.

I had a horse from the ages of 14-19. He was an OTTB and we primarily evented. Also did the random h/j show now and again. He was my heart horse. He saved my life. I hope to have another like him someday. He was put down at age 28 in 2009. He was a wonderful horse.

I was a once a weeker like you until a strange fall last year. I fractured both of my elbows. My husband had me promise not to get back until I was in "better" shape. It was a fall that could have happened to anyone and such a freak accident that I couldn't try it again if I tried. Got back on early this year and DH was pissed off so I stopped again. Apparently you have to be a hard body to be able to ride (insert rolley eyes here). Hopefully I will be back soon because I one of those types that need riding for my mental health.

Anyway, I have done quite a bit of research on what you should train for if you ride. Obviously the number one thing that helps the most is ridibg itself! Isometric exercises help the most not weight lifting. While WL helps your body it doesnot necessarily help your riding. When we ride we use a very unique set of stabilizer muscles. Yoga helps as does Pilates. Obviously the two most important areas are the lower back and legs. I see it myself when I WL - those are my two strongest areas. Back when I was still riding everyday and showing, I would supplement my riding with Pilates to help my core.

(ignore any spelling erros- on my phone and damn the autocorrect!)
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I ride and have my own horse, Tumbleweed, my big love of a gelding. We don't show; we ride for fun and trail ride. I can't really afford a horse, but I have one anyway :) I read recently: The expense of owning a horse can expand to fill up any budget...so true! I do get exercise riding but also have recently started running again and I see a difference in my endurance in riding.

Nice to meet some other MFP riders.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I’ve been riding since I was 5 (23 now). I ride hunter/jumpers (show at 3'6"), do basic dressage and showed competitively for my alma mater, which is a very big horse college on the east coast.

I’m also passionate about Thoroughbred horse racing and have been in the industry for over a decade. I have experience on both the backside with the horses and the front side doing marketing. And I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about the sport, from past performances to pedigrees.
  • rmatey
    rmatey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

I do eventing with my horse - he's 6 so we're still dinking around at Beginner Novice, hoping to move up to Novice next year. (I'm in the US - I don't think they offer anything as little as BN in England.) We do very little showing, partially to keep the budget in line but mostly because I don't have a truck and trailer so it's hard to get anywhere! I'm lucky that the barn where I board my guy has a huge field out back with cross-country jumps. Last night we were out playing in the water complex - great way to cool off!

I started riding in 4th grade, took time off for college, and got back into it a few years after I graduated. I run the rest of my life on the cheap to afford my guy. Worth every penny - I feel incredibly lucky to have him. :)

Before I got back into riding I was doing a lot of step aerobics, and I think it helped me a TON when I got back in the saddle. Step-ups, squats, and lunges help a lot with leg strength.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I live on 10 acres in Manitoba, Canada and have 2 horses. One 18 year old QH gelding "Scooter" and one 12 year old paint arab mare "Sunny". I am more of a casual trail rider type and I like to practice natural horsemanship. I have my stage 1 Glenn Stewart level and would like to go farther in the future. I have a 2 year old son who is my main time goblin for right now and I hope that he inherits my love of horses and can be my future riding partner :) I've ridden pretty much my whole life, though I am not schooled and dont have a specific discipline. I have both english and western tack and ride what I like to call Wenglish :) Whatever suits us that day :) Jumping has always intrigued me, though I've never tried it. Maybe one day! Ive heard that Yoga is supposed to be great for riders.
    Ride On!