Friends Dragging Me down

Options
I went to help friends move this weekend and took my lunch with me. I was planning to eat dinner when I got home or if they ordered pizza I had asked my friend if I could get a salad and then use some of her fat free dressing instead. After we were done my friends Mom decided to get us all Mc Donalds without asking anyone what they wanted. Of course everything she got was not healthy. She bought cheese burgers, fries, big macs and chicken nuggets. When I refused to eat any food a few people decided to tell me it wouldn’t hurt to eat Mc Donalds. I told them no that’s part of the problem. I do really good all week then I mess it all up in one day. They proceeded to ask me several more times and I was then annoyed. I shouldn’t have to explain why I don’t want to eat junk. I feel like if I am trying to be healthy then my friends and family should support me

Replies

• sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on standing up for yourself!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: If you wait for your friends and family to support you, you'll be fat forever.........this has to be your journey. It takes practice to refuse unhealthy food but in time it gets easier. It was hard for me at first but now my friends know that I don't eat fast food, pizza, cake, etc. and probably won't eat anything that I haven't decided on ahead of time.

I love MFP because I have a host of friends here who understand and support and encourage my new healthy lifestyle

do not be discouraged.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and do not be annoyed, just smile and tell them that you only eat the food you've planned to eat.
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just keep sticking up for yourself! peer pressure sucks! they are just jealous :) thats how i see it!! keep up the good work!
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I probably would have grabbed a burger then just removed the bun. That saves a lot of calories.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to eat as well as possible, but you do realize you can't always be perfect? You are allowed to treat yourself and have "bad" foods once in awhile. It needs to be a lifestyle change if you intend on sticking with it, not a strict diet.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    "should" is typically a value-laden word. Yes your friends should support you and we should have world peace, but neither is happening. So... here's my take on it:
    Mc Donald's sucks-
    You are awesome for sticking up for yourself
    Eating bad food and indulging is often like an addiction and your peeps possibly don't like it when you don't join in the 'using'.
    When lifestyles change, often friends change too...
    your health is very important, as you are... keep on loving yourself enough to strive towards better health.
    Rock on... and good for you for sticking to your guns!
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. My family doesn't support me either. Thankfully, when I started all this, my kids were young enough to understand about making healthy choices and what being overweight and obese does to a person's body. They're seeing me go through it every day. How hard I work, etc, etc. My mother, however, is a completely different story. She buys junk, brings it into the house and refuses to eat anything healthy because, "all that healthy stuff gives you gas and I don't want to accidentally fart at work." Wow, that's your excuse to stay fat... really?!?!?!? It amazes me what some people will tell themselves to keep eating giant bags of chips and XL Hungry Man frozen dinners and marie callander jumbo pot pies and boxes of little debbie snack cakes. Screw that! I've got a life to live and I'm going to live it healthy. I don't care if I have to have the traveling farts 24/7. Whatever it takes is what I'm going to do! 110% or go home.
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    All of us here are proud of you for standing up for yourself. I go through the same thing, as i'm sure a lot of people here do. It's just people over reacting to you rejecting what they offered. If they want to stuff their faces with 1500 calories worth of food in one "meal" let them. When you're fit and feeling better than you ever have, just explain to them that you made lifestyle changes and eating healthy was your first step.
  • barney50501Missy
    Options
    My mom, brother and daughters decided to go to El Pollo Loco for a late lunch today after we all visited for Mother's Day. I told them that I couldn't join them, that I already had plans on what I was going to eat for dinner and that would keep me at my calorie goal. I felt bad but I know that if I went I would have eaten something (cause I love their chicken and tortillas) and blown what I had already planned out for tonight. I know my brother looked at me weird but I figured it was best to give them all hugs and kisses and come home to get my workout for the day in. It can be hard to stay strong but you did really great! Good for you.
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Stay strong. Proud of you for staying true to you & your goals.

Good for you!!
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You stuck to your plan, even in the face of pressure, and that is a MAJOR victory.
  • nightnurse2
    nightnurse2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a pat on the back for standing up for yourself and keeping strong. It's so easy to cave in and say 'tomorrow is another day'!