water, how much is too much?

Options
vade43113
vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
As the title says, how much water is to much water?

I ask cause I carry around a half of gallon container with me, and end up filling that thing 3-4 times aday... Someone said that I should loose ten pounds if I did that... still no see any difference, but eh

Replies

• JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that you take your weight and divide it by 2 and that's how many ounces of water you should be drinking a day..
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Wow. Do you just sit on the toilet all day too? I drink a lot of liquids but that sounds like a lot. It's usually recommended that you drink 64oz a day, other then that just drink when you're thirsty not because someone told you drinking 4 gallons of water a day will make you lose weight.
  • vade43113
    Options
    Wow. Do you just sit on the toilet all day too? I drink a lot of liquids but that sounds like a lot. It's usually recommended that you drink 64oz a day, other then that just drink when you're thirsty not because someone told you drinking 4 gallons of water a day will make you lose weight.

4 1/2 gallons... so it only makes 2 gallons.

and the main reason I am doing that is to stop drinking so much pop... but I found the less pop I drank the more water I downed... strange.

Somone just told me that if I continued, I should loose 10 pound in the first week
  • vade43113
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that you take your weight and divide it by 2 and that's how many ounces of water you should be drinking a day..

Thank you
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

and the main reason I am doing that is to stop drinking so much pop... but I found the less pop I drank the more water I downed... strange.

Somone just told me that if I continued, I should loose 10 pound in the first week

The issue with "too much water" isn't over the course of a day. It's too much all at once, which 2 gallons throughout a day is nothing to worry about.
  • litelight
    litelight Posts: 53
    Options

What JadedSoul says.
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing called water intoxication. To put it simply, you can die from ingesting too much water. Too much water can literally wash away much needed electrolytes and such.

That 8 glasses a day should be a limit but it's kind of a misnomer considering that everything you eat has water in it.

I just drink water when I'm thirsty and stay away from soda, juices, and alcohol. That for me is for when I go out
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    too much water can be intoxicating and I think, damaging to your health. But I think I drink too little. 8)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hydration is good - and it would take ALOT more to be too much. But the losing 10lb in a week - that is pretty much nonsense so I would ignore the advice of the person who told you that. You MAY lose some water weight as you become more hydrated and as such MAY retain less - but 10lb, highly unlikely.
  • ashleigh8993
    ashleigh8993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i also aim for the body weight dividing in half and try to drink that many ounces of water throughout the day. I count my coffee and unsweetened tea too in that but I know others say you should not.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    9 gallons a day is too much and can lead to water poisoning.

That's a LOTTA water to drink.
  • agambetta
    agambetta Posts: 2
    Options
    I was always under the impression that a good rule of thumb was a gallon of water per day?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    248 ounces (2 gallons) is almost certainly too much. My trainer recommended 1/2 ounce per day per pound of body mass. Drinking too much water can be fatal.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to get too much water. Usually your body will force water out to make room. You just need to make sure you aren't 'holding it' in. If you drink to the point of feeling ill and having a migraine, then you could be reaching intoxication levels. This can lead to death. There was a case of it locally a couple years ago. I would really be cautious of forcing water into your system if you don't feel the need for it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    248 ounces (2 gallons) is almost certainly too much. My trainer recommended 1/2 ounce per day per pound of body mass. Drinking too much water can be fatal.

You need A LOT more than 2 gallons for it to be fatal.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Maybe she said you'd lose weigh because you're saving calories by drinking water instead of pop.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    If you were drinking too much you'd notice, because the effects of water intoxication are VERY fast. I drink between 13-21 glasses of water a day. I haven't died yet! :) But I just love my liquids.
  • mzkezh
    mzkezh Posts: 74
    Options
    I drink between 16 (128 ) to 18 (144 ), 8 oz of water a day, had a doctor appointment and she chewed me out. she said that was too much water for me to take in daily and to cut it down to half my body weight. I explained that i am thirsty throughout the day (feeling dehydrated) and dont drink soda. she suggested sugar free candy, so I tried it and its nasty. So my daily intake has decreased to 12 (96) to 14 (112).

if any one have any other suggestion, I am open
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Ah I misread. I apologize. I don't really count my ounces because I just drink when I feel thirsty or restless or bored. It's kind of my substitute for eating when I'm bored. I drink a couple liter bottles, a couple half liter bottles, some diet sodas and green tea so my liquid intake is maybe 150oz or so. I 'll have to count one day.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i drink 128 ounces on average, more if i have a hard hour zumba workout. i have never drank more than 200 ounces though. i dont drink anything else besides water so im sure than has something to do with it.