Smoothie Makers, Need a lil help

Options
BuckeyeLife
BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
I have been working a greater variety of fruits into my protein smoothies. Issue I am currently having, seeds from strawberry type stuff. Anyone have a good recommendation for how to remove this kind of issue? It is kind of the thing holding me back from really using any berries.

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kfrances79
    kfrances79 Posts: 2
    Options
    Blueberries? You could also try cooking down the berries and straining to remove the seeds...not sure what this will do to the nutrition. I personally don't mind the seeds.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There really is no way to deseed a strawberry. Just blend it up real well, I have never really noticed them but grew up eating strawberries right off the plant. You could try a different fruit that doesn't have seeds like strawberries, perhaps cherries, or a frozen fruit mix that has mangos and pineapple.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    my only suggestion would be to get an industrialized blender like a ninja thats really powerful, but im not sure if even that would solve the problem..
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You can actually get a strainer with really small holes. I've done this before to remove strawberry seeds so I could make my Grandpa a strawberry shake. It worked really well. It got most of them.
  • donnadearth
    donnadearth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Straining is a great idea. Blend the berries to a liquid consistency and then strain them through a cloth towel or coffee filter. You'll lose the pulp along with the berries but you'll retain a lot of the nutrients and flavor. Good luck.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    sadly, a vitamix is not in my budget. maybe it's in yours.

however, a cheaper alternative that i have found to perform just great is the ninja blender. it's like 1100watts so it blasts thru the flash frozen fruit i use and even handfuls of tough kale. there are still some seed from straw/rasp/blackberries, but i've learned to just let em come up the straw and eat em. i dont really mind em.

let us know how you make out. blenders have such a price range...$10crap to $500insanity. :)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have been working a greater variety of fruits into my protein smoothies. Issue I am currently having, seeds from strawberry type stuff. Anyone have a good recommendation for how to remove this kind of issue? It is kind of the thing holding me back from really using any berries.

You could buy large berries and peel them, but again, this would destroy the nutrients. If you are just looking for the flavor and can get your nutrients from another source, you can strain them for the fresh pulp and juice or just buy de-seeded strawberry/blackberry/raspberry jam...
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As a couple of other posters commented, I too use a Ninja and find it works rather well chopping up a variety of things, especially frozen fruit. So perhaps a great blender will help with the seed issue.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    You can actually get a strainer with really small holes. I've done this before to remove strawberry seeds so I could make my Grandpa a strawberry shake. It worked really well. It got most of them.

This was what I was thinking, I just was not entirely sure how well it would do. Is thee anything I need to know about sizes or just kind of have to figure it out?
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    I already have a blender, I don't really deal w/ frozen stuff(or have a problem with it when I do). It was just a situation where seeds were getting left over, and in my blender bottle they kind of would come heavily and in packs towards the end. I could deal with it, but it is slightly irritating(texture bothers me the most about food, so it is an important thing for me.) I am going to try a strainer and see if that will solve my issue, if not I will likely just deal with it, or more likely, use it sparingly when the banana gets old. (I just don't get tired of banana really, but someday I might want something more, lol.)

TY for replies!