Choosing a house to buy

Options
torygirl79
torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
I've been house hunting for quite some time and found a house I really like. It's nicer than most I've seen, just about affordable and only has one major downside.... It's much further from where I work in a semi rural location with a 40minute or so commute.

Houses in my price range nearer to where I work are either smaller and modern or need a lot of work. This is mid 19th century with nice features and in reasonable condition (not perfect but my budget is not unlimited lol). It's on the same road as some heavy industry (haulage) but further up and next to a golf course so relatively quiet. It would not be convenient for someone who did not drive (I do) nor does the road have lighting, however there is a pub at the end of the road and it's very near a canal for walks etc.

I like it but my parents (who are helping out with a loan, so have views I have to take into account) are not convinced. In fact they are openly anti. Wondering if anyone else has made similar choices on character versus convenience, one way or the other and how they worked out.

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to deal with that complication when buying my house, thankfully. Buying a house is stressful enough. What I learned in my search and purchase is that there is always going to be a compromise. It's either in the wrong location, to big or to small a yard, in need of major repair or updating, or simply priced to high. Unless you're designing and building exactly what you want, no house will be perfect. You have to be good with living with that compromise for a few years at a minimum.

As for the complication of your parents, I would suggest sitting down with them and having a very open conversation about this house and other houses you've looked at. Find out the root of their objection to this house and explain why you're interested in this house.
  • flightlessbirdie
    flightlessbirdie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    buying a house as you know is a huge investment and mostly emotional....when you find the right house for you, you'll know it & when you don't have an unlimited budget like most of us, there's bound to be a few boxes unticked. I guess it matters how important those boxes left unticked are to you and whether the actual house outweighs those things. It's also easy sometimes to get swept over by a great house and not think about the practicality, like will you mind travelling the extra miles two times a day - when you work late, or need to stay in town longer etc...will the sound of the trucks bother you and all those questions. There's always bound to be a few uncertainties and what if questions when buying the house because let's face it, you're spending a lot of money....there's no right or wrong, but really just what feels right to you. As for your parents concern - we were in exactly the same boat when we bought our first house, and we ended up going with a house that they liked more than the house we liked best - and we've always regretted it.

Things to ponder anyway :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It's much further from where I work in a semi rural location with a 40minute or so commute.

This would be a deal-breaker for me, even if you take public transportation since you don't drive. I would not want to spend 40 minutes in traffic a day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I live where I do. I live in a small town about 40 minutes from my work. No way could I afford anything 1/2 this nice closer to the city! I would much rather have a nicer/bigger house out in the country than a tiny box in the city.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    When we bought our first house we listened to our parents & took their advice. Never again, we ended up in a house that did not suit us or our lifstyle, it suited them. We both were so glad when we finally sold up & bought where we are now. A rather old, rather shabby mill cottage that the in-laws hate but we both love.
    At the end of the day, who's going to live there? You or your parents?
    Sit down with them & ask why they are so against the house, it might just be the lack of street lighting is a worry for them.