Runners please get in here, need some advice on a 1/2

Options
directorj
directorj Posts: 537 Member
I was on a 2 month break, with no running at all. So I started running in the last 2 weeks and it looks to me as I'm getting my stamina back. Last Friday i pushed for 8 miles and did it no problem. Do you think in the next 2 months, I should be able to hit that 13.1?

Well my real question is, how did you know you were ready for it?

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If you feel solid at 10, you can pull off the Half. Two months is plenty of time to push that long run out if you're already up to a solid 8.
  • miksmomma2011
    miksmomma2011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have completed 1 half marathon. When training the most mileage I did at one time was 9 miles. If you are already running 8 miles and feeling good, I think 2 months is definitely plenty of time for you to be ready. Good luck!!!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I went from 6 miles to 13.1 in 7 weeks training for my half - and I had never been a runner before (only started running 4 months before that!). You just have to be smart and dont overdo it and bring on any injuries.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran my first half with my longest run ever clocking in at only 8.2 miles (and that was about 5 weeks before the half or more, woops!). I did it...but I kind of died, ha. It was also my first 1/2 ever, but I finished. So, I definitely think you can do it.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Feeling good running 8 already. 13.1 in 2 months is definitely doable!:smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally do-able. Most training plans only get you up to 10-11 miles. I trained for about 4 1/2 months for my first half, but I was starting as a total beginning runner with "long" runs of 2-3 miles ;) The most I did before my first half was 11 1/2 miles, for my 2nd half (next week) I only trained up to about 10 1/2 miles. Just do your long runs a little slower than your normal pace, and use them to practice your hydration/nutrition etc.

Good luck!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No problem, just pick a plan and stick to it.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate it, gave me more confidence in hitting that goal