Has anyone been on a cruise?

Options
I am going on a cruise in 2 weeks and am SO excited! I am very strict with my diet and I have great self control so I am not worried about over-eating or anything like that. What I am interested in knowing is if there are healthy food options on board?

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cruise line. Some have some very good food choices, others, well, not so much. You should be able to check that out online before you go.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the cruise line. They tend to have many choices and multi-course meals. So, there are usually good choices available. The hard things for many people is that so much is available and all the time... like a 24 all-you-can-eat buffet. But you don't have to eat all the courses or try all the options or finish all the food you are served. There are usually many good salads and fruits. For some people the trouble is the drinks. The staff get much of their pay through tips, so they're usually very accommodating about things like bringing you only half a portion if you ask. (And if they help you with things like that, make sure you recognize that support with a tip and on the evaluation forms please.) And there are many exercise options available. In addition to many ships having a gym, there are often walking tours where you stop, walking and jogging routes on ship and various exercise classes.

Enjoy!
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have been on several cruises and there has always been healthy food options available. You can also get things without sauce, no butter, etc. The salad bars and fresh fruit options as well as fish, seafood, lean meats are always available. Lots of opportunities for exercise too using the stairs, walking the length of the ship or around the promenade, dancing into the wee hours. Have a wonderful time!
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes... we went on the golden princess. Food was spectacular. Came back a couple lbs heavier then i left.
    My parents go about 3 cruises a year.. my mom always sats she gains just a little. But..like the above poster
    said, ships have gyms and all the walking in ports ( and onboard) will help. Have a great time!!
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The other posters pretty much summed it up...you have options, you just have to ask or make them yourself in the buffet.

I went on a cruise with a diabetic and for the dining room meals our server always asked if he was having the diabetic option, which he did for the majority of the meals, and then at dessert time, he was given 2 diabetic choices beyond the published menu items. In the buffet he had to ask for the no sugar added dessert, but they always had it. I even got into the habit of eating some of the diabetic options and found them as tasty and sometimes tastier than the regular options.

We also attended health focused seminars on sea days and instead of paying for a massage mulitple times during the cruise, I did a series of personal training sessions - still had a couple of massages, but balancing the funds between massages and personal training was perfect.

You can make the cruise experience anything you want and still have a fun and healthy vacation!! Enjoy :happy:
  • prose114
    prose114 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Princess offers healthy food choices from their buffet, but stay away from the other eateries onboard.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you search cruise message boards like cruisecritic.com for your line (even another ship), you may be able to find sample menus. Most lines now have some version of healthy menu options during the sit-down dinners that are marked as such. Also, the portions at the sit-down restaurants are not out-of-control so folks who are reasonable at the buffet shouldn't have a massive problem.

I took a total break on my last cruise - didn't weigh the week directly before or the week directly after so it wouldn't be on my mind. I actually lost a pound during the period, much to my surprise.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    They often have diabetic choices which are usually healthy. Mine even had sugar free dessert choices every night. There are also lots of ways to exercise--pool, track around the deck, fitness room and lots of stairs. I actually lost weight last time I took a cruise.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I would be surprised if they didn't have a fish or chicken option, which is usually very heathy. Also most meals come with a salad I'm sure, if not a full salad bar! :) enjoy your trip!
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    With the way that the cruise lines have dumbed down the food and with puny portion sizes in the main dining room (as compared to restaurants on land), it can be easy to keep things in check. Just try to use self control at the buffet and other serve yourself establishments.

This of course all sounds good in theory, I will find out how it goes as we will be cruising soon also.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    there are TONSSSSS of healthy choices on every cruise I have been on (6) they have different foods for everyone.. I wouldnt worry about not having options.. they have fresh cut fruit and usually a huge salad bar.. they have alot of yummy dishes that are healthy at the dinners.. lots of shrimp.. I wouldnt stress over it!! enjoy yourself!!:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Been on 2 Disney Cruises and a couple of others and now booked for another Disney Cruise to the Carribean this July. It's a cruise so I do indulge, but like daily clockwork, I'm in the gym working out DAILY usually at 6:00am. And I bust my *kitten* doing it. Also while my kid is playing in the kids area, DW and I like to walk around the decks and talk and enjoy the water scenery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've sailed on Disney Cruise Line and it was spectacular. The food was all so delicious and there were MANY options to choose from. One thing that was nice was that the waiters rotated from restaurant to restaurant with you so they learned your dietary likes, dislikes, and restrictions. Hopefully you also have the same server are your meals--make good with them and express your wish to have healthier foods and have them work their magic for you.

Enjoy your cruise!! I can't wait to go on another one.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I went on Carnival Elation in December. From what I remember, I think the healthier options are in the actual sit down restaurants with menus. The buffets didn't seem to have too many healthy options and definitely had too many temptations.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I would focus on spending time in the gym and stay away from snacks and the buffet. Order from the menu!!!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    On the cruise I went on, they had everything. You could be as healthy or as unhealthy as you wanted.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We've been on several cruises. I think the next time I will order children's portion. The last cruise had a sushi bar which we hit every afternoon. There are plenty of choices. The cruises we've been on have had a jogging deck path and exercise room. The big threat for me was the yummy tropical drinks. Most of the time we did find ice tea, coffee, water and juice served throughout the day. We bought a thermal glass on board and after breakfast filled with ice and juice or tea. Have fun and enjoy.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Also I want to say that when I went I didn't eat well at all, but with all the walking around on the ship we did just getting from place to place definitely helped me not gain. I think I gained a total of 2 pounds the entire vacation and I can easily gain 10.
  • arogers98
    arogers98 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We've been on 13 cruises utilizing 4 different cruise lines. They all offer a "lighter fare" but you can also order a regular meal exactly how you want it. You can leave certain things off, have them out others on the side etc etc. We went one of our cruises last year after I started this journey and I only gained 1 lb. and that was also eating from the "grill" poolside that served hamburgers and fries. Just make sure you take advantage of their fitness room first thing in the morning before it gets too crowded.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Look for opportunities for incidental exercise as well. DH and I went on a cruise a couple of years ago and chose to use the stairs every single time rather than the elevators. Even though I developed painful arthritis in my foot during the cruise (thought it was an injury to start with), we both came home at the same weight as we left.

We didn't want to spend our holiday in the gym in the bowels of the ship so looked for other ways to get our exercise.

Enjoy.