Just started lifting, immediately much more hungry

Options
I began starting strength this week, and I've noticed an insane increase in my hunger. I understand the science behind the dietary demands of lifting but I didn't expect this intense hunger to kick in immediately. Anyone else experience this? I've never really lifted at all before, my body is probably like "wtf mate?".

Replies

• MichaelRay21
    Options
    Accept it. If you are lifting heavy and doing it right, your body will be burning more calories and you will be hungry. Eat clean during this time. Critically important.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    YESS. I get sooo hungry. While I drink my protein shake I make my meal but while my meal is cooking I eat a snack.

It makes meh feel good.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that while you are lifting, try to increase the amount of Protein you consume. It will fuel your muscles and keep you fuller longer. Good luck.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Accept it. If you are lifting heavy and doing it right, your body will be burning more calories and you will be hungry. Eat clean during this time. Critically important.

Thanks, I'm definitely cool with it. I still have lots of fat to burn but I eat pretty damn clean.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    YESS. I get sooo hungry. While I drink my protein shake I make my meal but while my meal is cooking I eat a snack.

It makes meh feel good.

Haha meal inception. I do the same sometimes with a protein bar and dinner.
    I would suggest that while you are lifting, try to increase the amount of Protein you consume. It will fuel your muscles and keep you fuller longer. Good luck.

Thanks - been loading up on the protein. Loving the cliff builder bars in addition to my meals.
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm about two weeks into *heavy* lifting and I'm right there with ya. My trainer ha me eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So I'm trying to eat 140 grams of protein/day. It really helps with hunger. Eat every 2 to 3 hours and always some sort of protein in each meal/snack. :)
  • JesseJaymz
    JesseJaymz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way. i've been lifting for a good while, but i recently added a half an hour to my lifting, started running more every other day, and started playing basketball erryday. i'm burning about 1200 calories a day, but i feel like a bear when i start eating. the other day i ate 16 chicken wings, a huge sirloin steak, and a double whopper no bun all within about 3 hours and was still starving. i've upped my water even more (was at like 100 0z a day now at least 120 0z) and have started snacking on sunflower seeds when i start to get hungry. it helps a bit, but damn!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Yep, a couple hundred grams of protein, carbs beforehand and clean up your fats intake. By that I mean good fats like nuts etc. Exceed H2O intake to help keep you full. These are some things that have helped me, YMMV. FWIW, I do a major and minor group alternating 4 days a week and excessive cardio on what you might label as a lean bulk cycle but I am in deficit so some will disagree with that. EAT!!
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Complete BS...eating clean during that time is not critically important. Good supply of protein and carbs is enough doesn't matter where it comes from.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ive been following the New Rules of Lifting For Women program since early march (heavy lifting!) and I am ALWAYS hungrier on lifting days! Sometimes I feel like a bottomless, insatiable pit. And *THANKFULLY* I crave protein! mostly meats... but yep! Your right on track in my opinion!