Home made "gu"

Options
BrianSharpe
BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
I recently decided to stop using the prepackaged gels for my longer runs,my new fuel belt included a gel flask and was given the following recipe:

"Take one of those gel bottles. fill it to the #3 line with honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, or any combination of a natural energizer of your choosing. put in a small squeeze of molassus and a pinch of salt. fill the bottle the rest of the way with water and shake it to thoroughly mix it. result = 350-400 calories at a fraction of the cost of 4 gels and all-natural"

The version I've been making uses a bit more molasses - I fill the honey to the 3 line and then top it up to about 4 1/2 with molasses, a bit of salt and some water. My variation is a bit thicker( which I like) and tastes more like Halloween candy. But certainly feel free to experiment with what suits you palette.

The home made brew is a fraction of the cost of prepackaged gels (I estimated it cost me about $1 for the equivalent of 4 gels) and you're not tossing out the little wrappers.

Replies

• Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nice post. I will try this.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for this. Bumping to try later.

After looking in to your suggestion on my post about this, I would add a pinch of "no salt" to the mix for the potassium chloride electrolytes in addition to the salt.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe - great recipe. I would not use corn syrup. - You could use it in your fuel belt as well - then it will be 'shaken' all the time. - I use Maltodextrin in my water. Depending on the distance - 25-50 gram in a bottle = 100 - 200 cal. Squeeze a little lemon for taste.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ooooh...this sounds like a great idea!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for this. Bumping to try later.

After looking in to your suggestion on my post about this, I would add a pinch of "no salt" to the mix for the potassium chloride electrolytes in addition to the salt.

I think that's one of the reasons the molasses is added (other than cutting the sweetness of the honey) it contains a fair bit of potassium.
    @BrianSharpe - great recipe. I would not use corn syrup. - You could use it in your fuel belt as well - then it will be 'shaken' all the time. -

I don't think I'd use corn syrup either, it takes a pretty vigorous shaking to mix it, I don't think I jiggle quite that much when I run (any more.....:laugh: :laugh: )
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I think that's one of the reasons the molasses is added (other than cutting the sweetness of the honey) it contains a fair bit of potassium.

Ahhh....that makes sense. I don't think I like the taste of molasses, I will have to give it another shot.
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    thank you Brian!!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this not because I've used gu a million times, but because I'm just now reaching the point where I need to use it. I'm always looking for budget friendly items and the few versions I've bought I thought were expensive and have wondered how I could get around this..someone said to hijack honey packets from a resturaunt and candy corn etc, etc. Thank you for sharing.
  • srmikes
    srmikes Posts: 4
    Options
    Sounds great. I'll have to try it.
  • scheeri
    scheeri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I've been wondering about an alternative to buying gel packs - $3-4 for about 100 cals makes it stupidly expensive and I'm not convinced there is anything magic in it that you couldn't replicate at home.
    I was toying with the idea of the little honey packets but that wouldn't cover the electrolytes, seems as though this combo should do that. Now I just need to get a little flask that could add onto an existing belt - does anyone have something small that would carry just about 2 gels worth? Or would I use something a bit larger and add extra water?