Heart rate questions.

Options
fififox
fififox Posts: 394 Member
Hi. I have just started using a HRM.
1. I know that the 'zone' is between 113 and 149 bpm. Do you burn more the higher the rate within tht zone? In a session should I be aiming to be higher into that band or does it matter?
2. This evening I did my treadmill at a brisk walk and my heartrate was up around 130 bpm for most of it. I have heard it is best to do some intense exercise, then drop it and then intense again, etc. Should I be alternating between runnning and walking or is walking keeping it at around 130 good? I found that when I ran the other night I went up above the zone.
3. Am I right that the idea of keeping within the zone is that you get the optimum fat burn?
4. I have been told at times that I have a tendency to have low blood pressure. At times this evening on my HRM I was surprised that the rate dropped very low briefly (e.g. 62) during times when I thought I was quite active in the exercise session. It rose rapidly again. Is this normal behaviour with HRM's ?

Thanks if you can help me to understand the significance of how to use the HRM/zone. :smile:

Replies

• fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Bumping in the hope that someone will have a bit of advice. Thanks :smile:
  • bwoz11
    bwoz11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can answer #1 and #3 with this info:

Warm Up (126 bpm-137)
    50-60% of max HR

This zone is the least intense. You are in it just to warm up or cool down, in order to prevent injuries.

Fat Burn (137-147)
    60-70% of max HR

Stay in this zone if your goal is to lose weight. Your body is fueled by 10% carbs, 5% protein, and 85% fat. The actual number of calories burned per minute will be less than in higher zones but youll be able to maintain exercise longer.

Cardio (147-158 bpm)
    70-80% of max HR

Also called aerobic zone. In this zone you'll get the greatest health benefits overall. Your heart and lung capacity will increase and your overall fitness will increase, so you'll be able to exercise longer. Your body will get 50% of your calories from fat, 50% from carbohydrates, and protein burn will be minimal.

Extreme (158-168 bpm)
    80-90% of max HR

Also called anaerobic zone. This is a highly intense exercise and should be limited to no more than 10-20 minutes. Your body's ability to consume oxygen will increase. If you push it too hard your body will start producing lactic acid. Your body will burn 85% carbs, 15% fat and minimal percentage of protein.

Max (168-179 bpm)
    90-100% max HR

You are pushing your heart to the limits here, and you should consult your doctor to see if you can exercise in this zone safely.

PLEASE NOTE!!!!

The BPM may be different for your age!!! Use a formula (you can Google for it) to find your specific zones for your age. Hope this helps!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The quick resonse in heart rate is a good thing, to be able to quickly and non-symptomatically meet the activity demand is the sign of a healthy heart. As for heart rate and fat burning.. here's the breakdown: as far as % goes, you burn more fat in the fat zone.. in the cardiovascular zone, you become more efficient and rely on glycogen a little more.. but it all comes down to total numbers. The longer you work out, the more calories you burn total.. and it all results in weight loss at the end of the day/week. I don't concern myself with zones per se.. there is merit in cv training (which does good things like teaches your heart to contract more efficiently, thereby lowering bp and resting heart rate), and there is merit in fat burning lower intensity exercises. The important thing to remember throughout your workouts is variability. Take some of everything that is good.. don't focus on one type of workout, because you'll become too adapted to it and it'll lose is efficacy. Do stregth training, do high intensity intervals, do slow lower intensity stuff. It all has it's place in the grand scheme of being fit. Remember, the best workout is the one you haven't done yet.
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi, don't have specific answers to you questions but here's a link to how to work out you beats per minute zones by age /gender etc

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have just started using a HRM.
    1. I know that the 'zone' is between 113 and 149 bpm. Do you burn more the higher the rate within tht zone? In a session should I be aiming to be higher into that band or does it matter?
    Burn as much as you can. "Zones" are junk science at best. Only people with heart issues need to stay within certain zones.
    2. This evening I did my treadmill at a brisk walk and my heartrate was up around 130 bpm for most of it. I have heard it is best to do some intense exercise, then drop it and then intense again, etc. Should I be alternating between runnning and walking or is walking keeping it at around 130 good? I found that when I ran the other night I went up above the zone.
    Intervals are a great way to help increase RMR which is directly related to higher fat burn when the body is at rest.
    3. Am I right that the idea of keeping within the zone is that you get the optimum fat burn?
    No. Exercise burns calories. Where those calories come from depend on how much glycogen is stored, how fast you deplete that glycogen store and the duration of your exercise. You CAN burn more fat by PERCENTAGE using lower intensity, but overall calorie expenditure during a timed duration is more important.
    4. I have been told at times that I have a tendency to have low blood pressure. At times this evening on my HRM I was surprised that the rate dropped very low briefly (e.g. 62) during times when I thought I was quite active in the exercise session. It rose rapidly again. Is this normal behaviour with HRM's ?

Thanks if you can help me to understand the significance of how to use the HRM/zone. :smile:
    My HRM will jump to 220 BPM's while I walk sometimes. Consider it a glitch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ninerbluff, I hit a 240 BPM last night and even though I was really trying my best to "intensify" my workout and giving it just a lil more than I usually do, I don't think when I hit the 240 mark I was really pushing myself all that much so this might be a silly question, but what does a BPM of 200+ plus feel like?

At the end of my work when I could feel okay this is just about as much as I can handle it went up and down from 160, I felt better than when I try to run and my heart rate settles down pretty quickly.

My HRM will jump to 220 BPM's while I walk sometimes. Consider it a glitch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition