Vacation - help!

Options
Hey guys,

I'm on vacation for two weeks and up til now I've been really good! I want to enjoy my vacation and some good food while I'm relaxing, but I want to stay on track (especially because a friend's wedding is this coming weekend and I want to look good in my dress!). I'd love some advice and encouragement on how to keep eating well and exercising without sacrificing enjoyment and relaxation.

= ) Thanks!

Replies

• rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im on vacation too for 3 days now, and ive been eating terrible food! However i keep them within my calorie goal and try to make a healthy choice each day. Im also walking as much as i can manage. But its hard!! Im not sure if you're staying at a hotel, but instead of eating out, try and go to a grocery store and buy fruits and veggies, you can buy instant oatmeal too. Seriously dieting is hard enough at home, but while being away on vacation, its way harder!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Last summer I went on a cruise and I just made the best choices available except the last day. That day I ate whatever and enjoyed it. Oh and on my first day I drank about 400,000 calories worth of alcohol :-)

Enjoy your vacation just don't go soooo overboard and you'll be fine.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Actually, I had the best vacation last summer.. I'd get up around 5 am and be out the door by 5:30 to get my run in early before the sun could bake me. It was awesome, the solitude, the fact that I could get this awesome workout in before anyone else was even out of bed.. I felt great the rest of the day, too. I watched what I ate, but the fact that I had the hard part over and could relax the rest of the day was wonderful.. and I could afford to 'indulge' a little if I wanted because I'd started the day out burning calories.. I only didn't run one day during the whole vacation because I felt so much better on the days I did run. I ended up losing 3 pounds over vacation instead of gaining.. and it was probably the best vacation I'd had in years and years to boot.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I try to eat VERY low cal during the day and aim for an early-ish dinner and I try not to go more than 4 hours during the day without eating because I get cranky and moody. So I plan it out 8-9 breakfast 12-1 lunch 4 small snack if necessary an 6-8 dinner. We usually eat dinner out which tends to be an overloaded calorie bomb so breakfast is usually coffee and maybe some instant oats or muesli. Lunch tends to be a HUGE salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc. but no meat, cheese, avocado, egg or any other additives that make it fun. I use lemon juice and salt and pepper for dressing. A small snack if I need it, is whatever I need it to be. I like the crunchy nature valley honey and oats granola bars. Then dinner is whatever sounds good, guilt-free!
  • Blubird607
    Blubird607 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All great advice! The first week will be a bit tricky because I'm staying with family so I'm mostly eating on their menus...but I'm trying to keep portions small and do little workouts when I can. You guys are all inspirations! Thank you!