Hi I'm new here! Help!

Options
jazz1290
jazz1290 Posts: 3 Member
Just come over from WW i'm hoping that MFP will be better for me! I've got my setting as losing 1lb a week, and it gives me 1580 calories...this seems quite a lot! Does anyone find that they lose better when they have things set to 2lbs a week? Also can I save calories up for a higher calorie day?
Thanks! :)

Replies

• ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Have a look at what your allowance would be if you set it to a higher weekly weight-loss goal. I personally like to keep that in mind while I have my weekly goal set to 1lb/week. I aim to have my daily calories fall somewhere in between the two allowances to give myself a little leeway.
    Play around, see what works best for you!

You can't really save calories the way you can save WW points, but if you use the app it will give you a graph of your weekly average calories: I try to stay below my allowance during the week and then if I want to I can eat more on the weekend and still be balanced across the week.

Does that make sense? :)
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome! I have mine set for 1lb a week and it gives me 1870. When I was at 2lbs it was 1480 (or something close) but I found it hard to stay at or below that on days I didn't workout. (they give you more calories for when you exercise) So I changed it to 1lb but try to go a little lower. Oh and yes I save up calories so that I can go over on special occasions!
  • katyb101
    katyb101 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I am new here and have been doing mfp for 3 weeks , I am sticking below my 1200 calories but haven`t lost anything yet any ideas why ?
    Katy
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new here and have been doing mfp for 3 weeks , I am sticking below my 1200 calories but haven`t lost anything yet any ideas why ?
    Katy

cant see a diary to try and help im afraid!

all i can suggest is looking at a few things
    are you eating enough calories?? ( ino it sounds silly but sometimes to loose weight you need to eat a little more than you think 1200 is as low as you can get really!)
    are you logging everything that goes into your mouth?? EVERYTHING
    and if 1200 calories is correct for you then you need to be eating all of them really
    are you working out?
    are you drinking lots of water??

best i can do with nothing to go on im afraid
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Katy

I am no expert but you are probably not eating enough. You should at least be eating 1200 calories especially if you are exercising.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Just come over from WW i'm hoping that MFP will be better for me! I've got my setting as losing 1lb a week, and it gives me 1580 calories...this seems quite a lot! Does anyone find that they lose better when they have things set to 2lbs a week? Also can I save calories up for a higher calorie day?
    Thanks! :)

I also came from WW and had my calories set to lose 2lbs a week. I upped my calories to 1510 because I wasnt losing any weight. It is now coming off slowly. I dont save my calories like you save points. I just make sure I workout longer if I know I am going to have a high calorie day.
  • jazz1290
    jazz1290 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I've set it to sedentary instead just because i'm not back at work full time for 2 weeks so it's given me 1370 now...which seems better! And it's nice to see that I can have more on days I exercise! I'm looking forward to starting this....think I needed a change!
  • pjsims99
    pjsims99 Posts: 7
    Options
    Good luck!
  • pjsims99
    pjsims99 Posts: 7
    Options
    I found if you stick to your limit, or under, and exercise 2/3 times a week it you will achieve more than 1lb a week anyway.
  • Mandanbil
    Mandanbil Posts: 40
    Options
    I would suggest going to the bmr calculator on this site it will tell you how much your body would use in calories if you were in a coma etc just to keep your organs going, please eat ABOVE this amount daily and eat your exercise calories, I am only a newbie here but that is the advice I have seen numerous times in the forums