can your mind tell your body where to lose fat?

Options
if you concentrate on either losing fat in a certain part or gaining muscle in a certain spot if you stay truly focused will the body react?
may sound dumb but i think to a certain point yes

Replies

• sarahmy3
    sarahmy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    um - no!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If it were simply an issue of mind-over-matter none of us would even be on this site... :huh:
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Yes, you can. thats why there is nobody using this website ;)

Now, I am a firm believer of the power of the mind, but I don't think targetting fat pouches is part of its abilities.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I WISH
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    ummmm.... no.. it just isnt going to happen.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    lol
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Your mind can tell your body where to get liposuction if thats what you mean. Naturally, no, it can.t happen.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well, it probably can't hurt, anyway.

A couple of years ago my gallbladder viciously attacked me. My doc wasn't available so I saw a different one in her practice. I told him where I had pain, and how the night before I had lay in bed on my side and concentrated on it until it went away so I could get a little sleep. He gave me one of those 'Ok you nutbar' looks and said the pain is usually cyclic anyway.

Point is, probably didn't help, but it gave my mind something to do. :)
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    lol if that were true i'd have a six pack and 12 inch willy!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i don't think there is anything wrong with doing that. women use mind over matter during labor to reduce (or eliminate) pains, why not try? i highly doubt the fat will just "drop off" but i see nothing wrong with engaging your mind along with your body for total fitness. :smile:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol, NOPE. still have these huge arms and THIS is the only real place i care about
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i think it can just as your mind can be tricked into healing other parts of your body through just beliving ,Placebo Effect is well documented to help with the healing process , so why cant your mind be used to focus on a certain spot to burn fat
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Maybe.
    Creative visualization works well in sports performance.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First off, your mind healing isn't "tricking your mind." the mind has control over the mechanical aspects of your body, pain being one of them (pain is just sensation from nerves, which your brain has full control over.) fat burning is an automated system controlled by genetics, the brain has nothing to do with it. So, no, your brain does not influence where you burn fat from.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, but that's 7th level stuff.
    6th level is bending spoons with your brain. So if you can do that, you're nearly there.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    if you concentrate on either losing fat in a certain part or gaining muscle in a certain spot if you stay truly focused will the body react?

As long as you aren't paying someone else for materials to help you direct the thoughts, it certainly can't hurt and is worth a try. ;)

But I'd also help the mind out a little and get some extra exercise going on in the muscles surrounding the fat you wish to get rid of.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

As long as you aren't paying someone else for materials to help you direct the thoughts, it certainly can't hurt and is worth a try. ;)

But I'd also help the mind out a little and get some extra exercise going on in the muscles surrounding the fat you wish to get rid of.

i totally agree that it has to be coupled with exercise. i don't think the mind alone can do it...joint effort of mind + body
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

i totally agree that it has to be coupled with exercise. i don't think the mind alone can do it...joint effort of mind + body
    You can't spot reduce, with either mind power or exercise. Your brain can't pick where to melt fat from any more than it can change your skin color, or adjust how tall you are. Some things are hardwired by your DNA, and can't be changed.
  • sarahmy3
    sarahmy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    omg - I am waiting for Oprah to pop up screaming positive psychology :-)

its a bit of a Doh that positive thinking is always helpful as is feeling bad sometimes - tis all about the balance

just like food in, exercise out

aint no other way to do it...get over it and get busy!!!