Smoothies -- can you keep them in the fridge overnight?

Options
ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
This is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to ask and make sure. I like to make smoothies with a frozen banana, a cup of milk, and yogurt. With one container of yogurt and one banana I get enough for two smoothies. If I were to put one of them in the fridge for 24 hours, would it taste gross by the next morning? I wasn't sure because of the trauma the banana goes through, if it would start tasting funny if it sat too long. I know it won't spoil, but I wasn't sure if it would still taste the same the next day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• jennlee80
    Options
    The texture would probably be off a little. You can always cut the banana in chunks and then freeze it-just use what you need!
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ive done it before..and it didnt taste weird. what i did was freeze it.
  • Jenn080203
    Options
    I agree, the texture would be a little off, which I don't like at all, but of course that's my preference.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have done this before with banana and it did not taste yummy anymore - I threw it out :(
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to ask and make sure. I like to make smoothies with a frozen banana, a cup of milk, and yogurt. With one container of yogurt and one banana I get enough for two smoothies. If I were to put one of them in the fridge for 24 hours, would it taste gross by the next morning? I wasn't sure because of the trauma the banana goes through, if it would start tasting funny if it sat too long. I know it won't spoil, but I wasn't sure if it would still taste the same the next day. Any thoughts?

I did this for the first time just last night. I made a strawberry banana smoothie and when I took it out of my lunch box at work this morning it was BROWN. LOL...The fat girl in me still drank it and it was yummy, but it was brown.
  • csmengr
    Options
    I make a fruit and yogurt based smoothie, and they aren't any good overnight. They end up separating and forming a gross liquid layer on top due to the acid in the fruit breaking down the yogurt. However, with milk and a banana, I suspect you won't get that result. I think it would tasted ok, but with evaporation, the texture would probably change.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Yeah, the texture is what I worry about. The banana does all right straight out of the freezer and put right in the smoothie, but I worried that the whole thing might get weird if it sat for that long after being beaten around in my food processor. All right, I'll come up with another solution for the days that I don't want to drink 2 smoothies. :) Thanks!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste weird. It looks a little brown, but still tastes fine, and if you mix it up with a fork it should be good. ^^
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I FREEZE THE OTHER HALF IN A THROW AWAY CUP...AND SET IT OUT IN THE MORNING AND LET IT THAW AND IT TASTE FINE TO ME
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I don't want to freeze it because I want the enzymes to still thrive.

I think if I don't want two, I'll just cut the banana in half and stick it back in the freezer. My yogurt containers have re-sealable lids, so I could just scoop out half of it for a smoothie. No big.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    its true that in the refrigerator it will seperate but if you stir it up again it will still be fine. its not nearly as "fresh tasting" but it's still plenty good. no need to drink two smoothies in one day just b/c you feel oligated. and no need to skip. what you could do on day two is put it back in the blender with an ice cube or two and a tiny splash of vanilla extract and BOOM you're back in business!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I exercise very early, and do this often. I find that the texture is different, but certainly not gross by any means. I do find that the banana doesn't hold up as well as other fruit. Strawberries or blueberries hold up better in a smoothy that you're not eating right away.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I did this for the first time just last night. I made a strawberry banana smoothie and when I took it out of my lunch box at work this morning it was BROWN. LOL...The fat girl in me still drank it and it was yummy, but it was brown.
    You need to add lemon juice. Browning is just the fructose oxidizing, it shouldn't affect the flavor. Also, if you cover it with saran wrap and push the plastic right down onto the surface of the smoothie it will keep oxidizing to a minimum and keep the top layer from drying out and getting chewy.
  • Doriprincess
    Options
    I bought one of those smoothie blenders that just has the base and a take-away cup for smoothies. Maybe it's because the base of my smoothie is citrus (orange and pineapple juice) but it was fine overnight, even with yogurt.

My problem is I need to drink a smoothie right before my boxing classes but don't want to drag the whole contraption plus ingredients (plus my huge gym bag) to and from work every week on public transportation (I'm in NYC).

In case anyone cares, I use 1/2 banana, a couple of frozen strawberries, 4-5 pieces of canned pineapple (only because I'm allergic to fresh) in juice and about 1/2 of a small container of greek yogurt for protein. The base is a bit of the pineapple juice from the can and some orange juice. It is VERY good.