Worried about being Hypocritical!

Options
As part of my course, I have to meet patients who are overwieght and talk to them about their weight and subtly hint that they should try and lose weight. I have to do this as it is part of ongoing assessments. The thing is I don't feel comfortable giving advice or making suggestions I too am overweight. Yes, I am trying to change that but I find it difficult to share that info with people so in their eyes They may see me as a bit of a hypocrite. Really don't know how to tackle it.

Would love to hear what people think.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather hear health and fitness advice from someone who had struggled with their own weight and knew what to do about it rather than someone who had been naturally slim and athletic all their life! You may currently be a work in progress, but you can use that to empathise. "You know, I struggle with my weight too, but I realised that was because I was doing X wrong. I'm doing Y now and I've steadily and healthily losing weight."
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i agree with berry...

i need surgery on my stomach and my unsympathetic stick thin doctor basically jiggled my belly during an examination and said well your gunna have to lose this before i can even consider the surgery' i left in tears. i was so embarrassed. when it comes to weight loss to hear someone give you advice and let you know your not alone is far more comforting!!
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have met a few nurses who have had to advise me to lose weight who were substantial people themselves. I have never felt any malice towards them, I think it made what they were saying easier to take, it is always harder to hear that from a thin person, you always think that they are judging you even if that isn't the case.

Maybe you can draw on your own experiences to inspire them?
  • daisyhougan
    daisyhougan Posts: 52
    Options
    Actually, I agree with the above posters too. My doctor's stick thin and hasn't been as tactless as others might be. But I don't think he's ever struggled with his weight and while I feel comfortable talking about weight with him (more so than with my last doctor who wanted to recommend surgery for everything from acne to weight gain), I don't think he "gets" it as much as somebody who has struggled with their weight too. If somebody were to speak from their own personal experience, it might be helpful to me too.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    As long as you are tactful and empathetic, I think it can a positive thing. The problems people have are when people who overweight themselves seem judgmental. I'd have no problem with someone who acknowledged the difficulty of weight loss and was sensitive and positive.

As an example of what I do consider hypocritical (and mean): A paunchy doctor saw my 126 lb, 5'5 22 yo self with a history of ED ,poked my stomach and told me that I needed to "tone up that soft belly" . That had a bad outcome.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Be honest about your own weight struggles. It helps to hear weight loss tips from a person who also struggles. It is nothing like having a person who you know has been skinny all their lives tell you how "easy" it is to eat right and excercise.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Berry's right...
    I'd much rather hear health and fitness advice from someone who had struggled with their own weight and knew what to do about it rather than someone who had been naturally slim and athletic all their life!
    I've had some dreadful experienced with various GPs in the past: the one who told me I didn't know what it was like to feel hungry (without understanding that I don't have normal hunger and full responses!); or the others (all slightly overweight themselves) who told me I had the body of a diabetic and then were palpably disappointed when my BP, sugar and cholesterol all came back as "normal" time and time again.

I've also had some crazy, contradictory and completely incompetent advise from so-called dieticians and nutritionists, but having read the MFP message boards there seems to be an argument and counter-argument for practically every dilemma.
  • hoofingchick
    hoofingchick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, totally agree with everyone else, it is always helpful to take advice from people who understand or have experienced what you are going through, no matter the issue. It actually will probably help them understand your advice more if they think you have empathy for thier problem through your own experiences. It is hard to share your personal experiences so just a hint would be enough.

Keep the good work, helping others and being supportive is one of lifes gifts that you should always try to share.
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thank you for all your input. I think that you might be right, but I'm still really worried about it. I need to interview 2 patients and at least 1 will be overweight/obese. I think Im going try and go for the empathy and explain I know its difficult. Thanks again
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    good luck x