Taking Before & Afters.

Options
When taking before and afters, what is the best lighting (flash on or off..etc) to actually get the darn camera to show the muscle tone that truely does exist ? lol ...

Replies

• twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bumpity-Bump.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    *nods* I would like to know this too.

Also... do you set up a timer and take your own, or do you get others to take them for you? Just curious. I've never really taken this kind of shot before.
  • binia91
    binia91 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im not quite sure I'm afraid - I've yet to take any picures! I'm too scared...I'm too ashamed to look at the photos! I know I probably should though, so I can have something to compare with in a few months time.
  • twinmama1987
    Options
    I take the pics alll the time for more than a year now, BUT... my muscle definition doesnt show up so easily (i do set a 10 sec timer and set it on the kitchen table) then i run and get ready lol. But the lighting is what eludes me
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The more light the better. Interior lights are usually quite dim. try for some sunlight.
  • garrettstewart
    garrettstewart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What you're aiming for is a natural source of light. A flash, especially if aimed at a mirror, is going to essentially freak the sensor in the camera out and try to overcompensate for missing light. I won't bore you with nerdy details, but if you're looking to showcase muscle groups, you're going to want even lighting, which involves shadows. Hope this helps.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid you've asked a really hard question that doesnt have a simple answer. If you're going for one of those magazine style photos you should be prepared to invest in some studio lighting and photoshop. If you're working with a point and shoot, you're going to struggle with lighting. An on camera flash is difficult to work with when taking photos of people. It really blows out all of the shadows and creates a zombie like appearance. Try tuning off the flash and getting creative with natural lighting. One thing you could do is stand beside an open window. Even better if you can stand between two and get sunlight from both sides.

Google says it much better than I - here is lots of info and resources:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=point+and+shoot+lighting&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIH_en
  • twinmama1987
    Options
    THANK YOU!