Strength training - important or not?

Options
Like everyone here, I am trying to lose weight.
I did about an hour and 20 minutes of weight training this morning.
But when I logged it, along with walking my dog for 30 minutes, I only burned about 123 calories.
I am just wondering if I should forget about strength training for now and focus entirely on doing cardio workouts as they burn more alot more calories than strength training.
But then I hear that strength training is really important as it helps build muscle that burn calories long after cardio does.
I am not sure what to do. I want to get the best bang for my buck so to speak.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Weight training is absolutely important. Your calorie burn will definitely last longer when you lift. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Keep up the weights and make sure your cardio keeps you in the fat burning zone with your heart rate.

Also, are you using a heart rate monitor watch to track calories burned? Seems like a low number of cals burned....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    IMO you should do both. Strength training, by itself, burns fewer calories on average than cardio but it has some tremendous benefits which include maintaining / increasing lean muscles mass which in turn maintains or increases your BMR (muscle is metabolically more "expensive" than fat), strength training also helps improve balance, posture and overall injury resistance (really important for endurance athletes).
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    But when I logged it, along with walking my dog for 30 minutes, I only burned about 123 calories.
    I am just wondering if I should forget about strength training for now and focus entirely on doing cardio workouts as they burn more alot more calories than strength training.
    But then I hear that strength training is really important as it helps build muscle that burn calories long after cardio does.

I've also heard the same thing...

I do strength training on my arms only. Since my legs are getting a great workout with the stairmaster, elliptical and treadmill, I don't want my thighs to really bulk out....When you start seeing nice curves appearing on your arms, you will want to keep doing it. It's also exciting when you are able to increase your weights, and also it feels great to have that extra bit of strength.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Weight training is absolutely important. Your calorie burn will definitely last longer when you lift. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Keep up the weights and make sure your cardio keeps you in the fat burning zone with your heart rate.

Also, are you using a heart rate monitor watch to track calories burned? Seems like a low number of cals burned....

The problem is I don't know exactly how many calories I burned from weight training this morning. My screen under strength training only tells me the number of reps, the weight, etc. but no calorie burn. The 123 calories burned came from walking my Labrador, Midnight, this morning. Is there a way to tell how many calories I burned doing weights this morning?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    nothing more important than weight training.

it's going to change your body more dramatically than anything else ( with a proper diet)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can use something like this to estimate the calorie burn http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Try this formula:
    220 pound person / 2.2 = 100 Kilogram person

Vigorous free weight training = 6 METs

100 x 6 x 0.0175 = 10.5 Calories per minute

60 minute workout = 10.5 x 60 = 630 Calories burned

Obviously, plug in your own data. ;)

edit to add: I answer to your question on how important it is, I'd say very as part of an overall fitness program. It maintains lean mass while eating in deficit and doing cardio. You can lose weight but if you are also losing muscle mass it is self defeating. BTW, like you, I do strength, and cardio, both HIIT and steady state.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Both are important and help you out in different ways. Cardio does burn more calories while you are doing it, but once you stop so does that awesome burn. Weight lifting will burn less while you are doing it since your heart rate isn't as elevated, but while your body continues to rebuild the muscle you just tore down with your work out it is burning more calories long after the fact.

Plus muscle burns more claories to maintain. Again the muscle is helping you burn more calories by raising your metabolism.

Cardio will help you chisel out your muscles making them pop out. Weights will give you something to make POP!
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can use something like this to estimate the calorie burn...

Thanks for this!!!!
  • tiffbou2
    tiffbou2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can anyone answer me this - do you not lose weight when you first start strength training? I just started lifting heavier weights with less reps 3X a week for 35 minutes about 2 weeks ago, and my weight loss has completely stalled - actually gone up a lb, even though my diet is better than ever. Could this be due to the weight training. When my muscles are better trained, will the weight eventually go? I also do cardio 3-4 times a week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can anyone answer me this - do you not lose weight when you first start strength training? I just started lifting heavier weights with less reps 3X a week for 35 minutes about 2 weeks ago, and my weight loss has completely stalled - actually gone up a lb, even though my diet is better than ever. Could this be due to the weight training. When my muscles are better trained, will the weight eventually go? I also do cardio 3-4 times a week.

Yes, very common/typical for a weight gain when starting strength training. It's water weight, not fat weight, and it's good because the water is helping you muscles heal and get stronger. Things will return to equilibrium and you will start losing again.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What taso said. I would add that as I've gotten closer to my goal, my goal is no longer a weight loss goal. It is a BF% goal. So I don't really care what I will weigh when I get to 15% body fat. I will be healthy, in great shape and look better than I do now.
  • tiffbou2
    tiffbou2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Yes, very common/typical for a weight gain when starting strength training. It's water weight, not fat weight, and it's good because the water is helping you muscles heal and get stronger. Things will return to equilibrium and you will start losing again.

Thank you so much for the encouragement - I'll keep plugging away! :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    After I got my HRM, I found out that my strength routines get my heart rate up, and do provide a nice burn. Without much of an impact really, because I cannot do anything along those lines.

Make sure you're doing more compound moves and less isolation work. If you feel the need to increase the intensity, feel free to add stuff like plyo squats and jumping lunges. You can also add things like burpees (and variations, side burpees, with jumps, with push-ups, etc.), mountain climbers, man makers, etc.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Strenght training changed my body in a way that cardio never did.

So I say it is very important.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I've also heard the same thing...

I do strength training on my arms only. Since my legs are getting a great workout with the stairmaster, elliptical and treadmill, I don't want my thighs to really bulk out....When you start seeing nice curves appearing on your arms, you will want to keep doing it. It's also exciting when you are able to increase your weights, and also it feels great to have that extra bit of strength.

I would encourage you to add legs/core to your resistance training, for the only reason the muscles in your arm aren't all that big and thus don't burn that many calories. Your legs/hips/core stablize the rest of your body, burn more calories when worked. While the stairmaster offers some resistance, it's nothing compared to actual resistance training...and your balance, and knee & joint health will improve.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Strenght training changed my body in a way that cardio never did.

So I say it is very important.

agreed
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

The problem is I don't know exactly how many calories I burned from weight training this morning. My screen under strength training only tells me the number of reps, the weight, etc. but no calorie burn. The 123 calories burned came from walking my Labrador, Midnight, this morning. Is there a way to tell how many calories I burned doing weights this morning?

Honestly, it matters not the amount of calories you burn while you life...but if you truly need to, wear an HRM. In fact, you should be wearing one with any workout to ensure you know what you are burning.

With your weights, dont fear "BULKING OUT"... do the research talk to MULTIPLE trainers, as they all think they know the truth when 90% dont know ****. You need to weight train to assist in muscle burn and retaining muscle mass. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Thus, you won't bulk out. You need to life in all aspects of the body. Otherwise, your "tone" will be unbalanced (if you happen to be so vain that looks are a major issue) and so that your body doesn't ravage the areas you are not focusing on.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Ok, I'm going to say something that might blow your mind a bit... FORGET ABOUT CALORIE BURNS FROM EXERCISE. They don't mean anything. Weight loss = diet. Fitness = exercise. It doesn't matter how many calories you burn while exercising, because you should be basing your calorie deficit off of your total energy expenditure for the day. The more calories you burn exercise, the more you should be eating to compensate. So don't pay attention to calorie burns, they are what they are, and how many calories you burn has absolutely nothing to do with improving your fitness. In fact, the more fit you are, the less calories you will burn.

So, exercise, strength training, and cardio, in whatever amounts you need to improve your fitness. Note your calorie burns so you can track your diet, but never exercise to a goal of a certain amount of calories burned, as the actual calorie burn is meaningless. Strength training may burn less calories than cardio, but it will have far more wide reaching effects on body composition and fitness.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Strength training/muscle building is NOT important for fat loss. The effects of extra muscle on your metabolic rate have been overblown hugely. Whilst absolutely true, the effect of adding an extra 20lbs of muscle to your body is about 50cals a day, so it's irrelevant.

Similarly the caloric burn of a weights workout is substantially less than a cardio workout.

So a purist answer to your question is NO. However, there are so many other benefits from weight training on strength, body shape, self image/confidence etc etc that it's a great thing to do and I would never argue against it, but you don't need to do it to lose fat.

So then is cardio important?

Same answer really. In a purist sense NO it's not. You can create your calorie defecit just from diet. But it certainly helps the fat loss by generating a larger defecit and again there are second order benefits to health, fitness, increased energy etc that are very valuable.