Dance Dance Revolution your *kitten* off!

Options
Hi! I am doing a new post to see if I can't find any other friends using DDR as their Cardio workout. I am a stay at home dad of 2, and I don't much trust people in my neighborhood so I spend most of my time indoors. My first week, I burnt approximately 5,212 Calories on DDR, and I have to say it was the best $20 I have spent in a long time. Before the military, I actually used to play all the time "Makes sense why all the beer never caught up with me." for hours upon hours. If you are a DDR fan, or you just need new friends, feel free to drop a line here for me! I am a very kind person and I am always on MFP during the day, mostly on my Android phone. In 2 weeks, I have lost over 13 LBS, in which most of it is from DDR. Anyways, I am gonna hop off, and spend some time with my Wife. Hope to make some new friends on here!!!

Replies

• makainui
    makainui Posts: 31
    Options
    i use the WII dance for cardio sometimes.............................
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have used DDR a lot for cardio. It is awesome and so much fun :D
  • wraith_mistress
    Options
    I use dance central 2. I used to use DDR but I find dance central gets the whole body into it! (And I don't get bored or frustrated as easily as I did with DDR.)

:D

Love it!
  • RistinaWin
    RistinaWin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it. Can I find it at Target? I've been looking for some new ways to do cardio. Sounds like a great burn!!! I'm always on and open to new friends if you want to friend me. Good luck in your journey =)
  • katie001x
    katie001x Posts: 19
    Options
    I used to play DDR all the time! But I had trouble with the mat. If I wore socks, I would slide, and if I wore shoes or did barefoot, my feet would stick to it. So I've been doing Just Dance on the Wii. It is a lot of fun and works everything. Lol.
  • Gerweguy
    Gerweguy Posts: 4
    Options
    If only Skyrim was on the wii. ;P I was actually looking at DDR2 at Meijer the other day as another fun cardio. I have 2 daughters so I'm sure it would get used plenty. :-)
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    LOVE using DDR for cardio. I dropped my last 40 pounds using DDR exclusively for cardio. I get so addicted- I'll play for 4-5 hours straight if I can. I use the professional metal/chrome dance pads. I have two- and they lock together for playing double mode. I haven't tried that yet, but I think it's the only challenge I really have left to tackle. Double aced every song on all three games that I have on all intensity levels. Hit a few triple aces, but only on standared mode. I do wish that more of my body would be involved. The legs get a killer workout, but the arms obviously not so much. I'm going to start throwing on some weighted gloves so at least they're being engaged a bit more. I try to throw in some of my own snazzy little arm moves to make me feel more like I'm dancing, and I get some good abs in on the "sexy" songs doing a little swaying & swiveling :).
  • Neen79
    Neen79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have all of the Just Dance games, but I never thought of using that as my cardio woorkout. Thanks for the tip!!! :tongue: I enjoy Golds Gym Cardio Boxing for the Wii. I'm ususally pretty sore the day after a 30+ min workout and I love it.
  • MorrisGetsFit
    MorrisGetsFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Heck, yes! I dance dance revolve (revolt ?) at least three times a week, and it's my main cardio source! On Heavy and Challenge Modes I burn about 900 calories an hour, although I usually only go til 800 cals. I have six games for PS2: Max, Max2, Extreme, Extreme2, Supernova, and Supernova2. I usually fall into a routine where I keep the same disc in the PS2 for a couple months. I have Just Dance for the Wii as well, but I'm just not as into that - it's mostly just a workout for my controller hand, lol.

I was out of town for a week just recently and had to use an treadmill at a gym - what a terrible way to exercise! DDR is definitely the way to go!
  • amberbackus
    Options
    I don't have DDR but love to do Just Dance and recently got Zumba for the wii! I love to dance and its fun exercise!
  • edmercdeleted
    Options
    Better than the Wii is the XBox Kinect. I was a little suspect when I first saw what it was, a camera that tracks your movement. I expected something glitchy.

Not so.

We have "Just Dance 3". It's fantastic. It also comes with a great game (Kinect Adventures) that incorporates your whole body into the game play.

If you are not sweating five minutes into the game, then you are not really playing. ;)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have that game but haven't dragged it out in awhile. I think I'm going to do it today with my HRM and see what it gets me
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    DDR and Dance Central are totally amazing for cardio! Added!
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    @Ed I would love to get kinect. It seems awesome and the XBox 360 is amazing. Only problem I have with it is the price. I have a ps3 from way back when. I was just out the military with no responsibilities, so I bought one. As for peole looking for a full body workout, if you get the ps3 version, with the PS move, it will work your upper body as well. I haven't gotten it but may in the future.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I looooove DDR! I'm pretty horrible at it, though. Any suggestions on how to get better? I do great on basic, but gosh awful on Difficult most of the time.
  • HausOfTina
    HausOfTina Posts: 92
    Options
    In the past I have lost 42 pounds doing straight DDR, I have gained it back (it was 2 years ago)... but now that I am home from college I have done DDR for the past few days! love love love it.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Love Dance Central for Kinect (Xbox 360)
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love ddr! I really enjoy using it for cardio!
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just got back to DDR again. I still use my old mat that I bought in ~2003-2004. It works great (it had better, I paid about $60 for it at the time), but is pretty worn out. In middle school and high school I played so much and loved it!

I really like the workout modes on a lot of them, too. It's nice for us calorie-counters that like to know exactly how long we've been playing and how many calories we've approximately burned.

What are your favorite DDR games?

(I have Dance Central 1 & 2 as well, and love them a lot, too)