Yoga ?

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
Ok so I am a bit clueless about yoga. I know it is supposed to make you more flexible but that's about it. I am not flexible at all and I would like to be.

What benefits come with doing yoga ?

What dvd's would you recommend for someone just starting out ?

Replies

• Mockingjay_24
    Options
    I use the Wii Fit yoga along with the yoga mat and board. I really enjoy it. It helps centre your gravity and gives you much better posture, as well as the flexibility part =)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend taking a class as opposed to a DVD, at least at first.

You get a lot of assistance, tips and questions answered in a class as opposed to watching a DVD.

It can reduce blood pressure, and help your endurance (as is trued of many exercises if practiced regularly) and can certainly increase your flexibility.
  • mamabear23
    mamabear23 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love yoga! Started in January with almost no flexibility or balance and now I can see such a difference!! Not only is it great for relieving stress but a good calorie burner when you do power yoga!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend taking a class as opposed to a DVD, at least at first.

this

yoga is great but watching a dvd for initial yoga might turn you off and could even cause injury. It isnt easy to get in the pose and try to watch the dvd at the same time until you actually know the poses.

go to a class. You will love it
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Yep, try a couple of classes first. You will learn more about what you do/do not like in a yoga class/session.
  • alemap67
    alemap67 Posts: 13
    Options
    I tried yoga for the first time a few weeks ago and love it, particular yoga studio I go to is Hot Yoga Studio, the room has humidifiers all around the room and the temp in the room is high 90's-low 100's, I am drenched when the class is done but feels so awesome. Definitely try and attend a few classes before using dvd's so you will understand it better. Good luck!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try fishing instead of Yoga. It's just as relaxing and you get kill stuff.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps you increase your flexibility, strength, balance and coordination. Additionally, it can really allow you to focus inward, and give you a great means of reducing stress.

I completely agree that a class is the way to go, in order to get started. If that really isn't possible, I'd recommend something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sara-Ivanhoes-Yoga-Makeover-Series/dp/B000Z4KN1W (Sara Ivanhoe is a good instructor).
  • erburdette
    erburdette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yoga is phenomenal. I highly recommend you go to a class as opposed to doing a DVD, definitely at first, so you are doing the postures correctly. But really it is just amazing to feel the energy in the room (not to sound too kumbaya about it!). I have done hath a yoga (hot yoga) for years with time off to have my two kids. I just got back to it about 6 months ago and I can't believe how much better I feel when I do it consistently. A huge part of it for me is the stress relief that it provides, because part of what you are working on is deep breathing. Not only do you get the benefit of challenging postures, restoring balance, burning calories, but for me, it's like a little therapy, too! There are lots of different varieties: hath is the same 26 postures, which I like because you get a chance to work and get better at these same postures and you know what is coming next; some people like yoga flow, where it may change some from class to class; others like Power Yoga, which is generally more aerobic. I suggest trying several different forms until you find the one that fits you best. It may not be the one you expect--I am ADD riddled, usually hate rules, etc., but I find that I LOVE the structure and consistency of Hatha yoga. Knowing these same 26 postures frees me up to stay present and not worry about doing new variations that throw me off balance (no pun intended!). Best of luck!! You are going to love it.