50 years plus needs HELP!

Options
LibbyM
LibbyM Posts: 9 Member
I am looking for people that have had success or are on their way to reaching their goals. I struggle with my diet but exercise is not so much a problem. Can anyone share or suggest the best eating plan "diet" for a 50 plus person? I just can't seem to get it right!
PLEASE HELP ME!

LibbyM:frown:

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and do you have any health issues?
  • happydays2525
    happydays2525 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in my 50's and you can add me as a friend. My diary is public.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm not in my 50s but I figured I would just stop in and say, you can do this! I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss!
  • Mammawto9
    Mammawto9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Libby, I am Judy, add me too. I have been on this for about 10 days. Food is not an issue, excercise is. My Dr. told me to eat a bit every 3 hrs or so. I start with a good bfast. Real oatmeat with lo carb yogurt. I am going easy on fruit, but eat lots of salads, fresh veggies, chicken, tuna salad. I stay away from rice, regular bread, I use sara lee 45 cal stuff. I found sugar free nutrition bars at my local store for a snack. Grab some sugar free jello for a sugar fix. I dunno, it works for me. I am still learning. I have about 100 pounds to lose. So one pound a week seems harsh....but I am trying to stay encouraged.
  • Mammawto9
    Mammawto9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One more thing, I will be 55 in July. I have 8 Grandchildren. Been married almost 22 years.
  • EllenGould
    EllenGould Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm 56 and just been at this a couple weeks now. I don't exercise though I know I need to. But one step at a time. I need to loose at least 50 pounds and can use all the help I can get.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. :smile: I'm 59 and it is hard to lose the weight, but it can be done. Just add a lot of MFP friends as it really does help.
  • LibbyM
    LibbyM Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I need to lose at least 100 more pounds and I don't really have any health issues other than high blood pressure and that's already getting MUCH better! :-)
  • MforMum
    MforMum Posts: 2
    Options
    hi I`m 50 plus!I only started yesterday,also have high blood pressure and have only 7 weeks until youngest`s graduation.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I am well over 50. The most rational eating plan for me is the Paleo Diet. Avoid processed food, transfats, corn syrup and sugar if nothing else.

I highly recommend you read the book Ultra-Metabolism by Dr Mark Hyman as well.

A lot of what we were taught in school about nutrition and the food triangle is nothing but crap. Eating the recommended daily foods will just keep you too fat, make you sick and keep the agricultural lobbyists happy.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you wish :)
    I am 53 and started caring about my health and fitness 3 1/2 years ago. I would say, staying in your calorie limit and EXERCISE is the key. If you do toning exercises along with cardio you will burn more calories because muclse burns more calories. I lost 20 lbs by using Beach Body products (I'm not a coach) beginning with Ten Minute Trainer and working up to more difficult programs. I've done 90X 3 time now, mountain bike with my hubby and in general am much much more active.
    Anytime you would like to email me, please feel free.
    good luck!
  • Halloch
    Halloch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Libby,

I turn 53 next month. I have been a yoyo dieter since my teens. In the last year after struggling with personal issues and food additions I became vegan, well 99%, I cannot drink my coffee black yet. My food addictions have disappeared and I feel so much better. Better sleep, higher energy and a renewed zest for life. I have a ways to go to reach my weight loss and it is coming off slowly but I never regret turning to a plant based diet. This is not for everyone but it does work for me. Take a look at it and check out the video called "Forks over Knives". Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Libby! You have come to the right place for inspiration and motivation!
    :love:
    Each diet 'plan' is different for everyone. You may add me as a friend if you like. My diary is open to friends. I like the idea of the open diary because you can get great ideas from others.:happy:

Wishing you the best of success in your journey to a healthier you! :flowerforyou:
  • bmuff
    bmuff Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi, you can add me as a fried. I am 51 yrs. old. I started up again using MFP in April. I became serious with my weight loss on Feb. 1, 2012. I have lost 34 lbs. so far. It IS all about your eating healthy. I hit a plateau when I started exercising a LOT, and eating 1200 calories. Everyone was wonderful on here and told me I should stop exercising so much and eat more calories. I was like, NO WAY! But I needed to see the scale move again, so I said ok, I will try it. I stopped exercising and stayed right at 1200 calories a day on average, and guess what? I was able to start losing weight again. I eat lots of veggies, and protein foods like, chicken, turkey, fish. I constantly am looking for good homemade recipes that re healthy to help me. I am totally enjoying this healthy eating. I seriously am not hungry anymore. You will find the more vegetables and healthy foods you start eating, you can eat so much more and still stay under your calories. I have a hard time some days getting to 1200. But I do not have any certain diet plan or food. Oatmeal is a good breakfast food. BUT, just remember you are worth it , and you can do it, if you have the will to do it. You have to be committed to making a lifestyle change and not just temporary eating changes. You will find once you do this, your cravings for a lot of things will begin to go away. We all like a treat from time to time, but you will find you won't want them as often. I keep telling myself, I think I can , I think I can, then I say NO, I KNOW I can!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I am looking for people that have had success or are on their way to reaching their goals. I struggle with my diet but exercise is not so much a problem. Can anyone share or suggest the best eating plan "diet" for a 50 plus person? I just can't seem to get it right!
    PLEASE HELP ME!

LibbyM:frown:
    Hi, I'm 59, My diary is open, I work out a lot so that I can eat a lot and still lose weight. That way you can stick with it. Get yourself a heart rate monitor and you will know how many calories you're burning. Eat you MFP calories plus your exercise calories. I eat whatever I want. Don't deprive yourself! Best of luck to you!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and my wife is in her 50s as well. We are both using MFP. We found this helps so much tracking the food and exercise. Lucky for us our daughter is a dietician and exercise/wellness trainer so we have some help/coaching/prodding there.

Feel free to add me, mutual support, seeing what others eat helps.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi Libby...congrats on taking the first step!! Thats a wonderful beginning. My best advice is to start logging, get a food scale and start measuring EVERYTHING, Be honest. It's really about portion control and trying to stay away from processed foods. Walking is a great way to start, every day a little bit further, then you can up your speed with time. Just get moving!! You don't need all the fancy foods or work out tapes. MOST of all just stay positive...it's a LONG journey and there will be good days and not so good days.Persistance pays off. Ohh...one last thing...don't take everything on MFP as gospel, tinker with it, find what works for you. Best of luck to you. Ok one very last thing...open your diary, it does 2 things, aloows others to see it and offer advice and it keeps you honest.
  • cocono
    cocono Posts: 22
    Options
    Not quite 50! Best advice is slow and steady (a kilo a month is what successful long term dieters achieve - this has been shown in studies) - eat real food moderately and record what you eat most days of the week. Exercise helps mentally, physically and emotionally.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am well over 50. The most rational eating plan for me is the Paleo Diet. Avoid processed food, transfats, corn syrup and sugar if nothing else.

I highly recommend you read the book Ultra-Metabolism by Dr Mark Hyman as well.

A lot of what we were taught in school about nutrition and the food triangle is nothing but crap. Eating the recommended daily foods will just keep you too fat, make you sick and keep the agricultural lobbyists happy.

AMEN to THAT!!!!
  • mspastor
    mspastor Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm 50 just starting i just eat smaller portion