Why do I feel skinny some days and not others?

Options
I have officially lost 50 lbs!!! I never thought this day would come and even though I want to loose 20-30 more, I'm confused! When I first started I was 212lbs and now 161 I would think I would feel amazing everyday?? What's going on?! Today I felt huge, at the mall I was grossed out everytime I saw my reflection. I don't remember feeling this bad even at my heaviest.. Should I be toning more? I run a lot. I hate feeling huge! Thoughts :)

Replies

• traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    I know what you mean, i started at 203 and im now 170, some days i feel wonderful....actually skinny (as if) but other days i feel so fat and bloated that i dont believe i look any better at all :noway:

and by the way, you look amazing.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I've lost 71lbs and now weigh 133lbs. I'm in no way fat but some days I just feel fat... well maybe not fat but not slim. I have no idea why this happens, I mean I don't look any different from the day before when I thought I looked good. I can only put it down to residual 'fat chick' mentality creeping up on me now and again.

Well done on your 50lbs, that's awesome :)
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    yep I am the same :grumble:

I think for me it is now cos I can compare myself to slim women which I never did before, but all the slim woman don't seem to wobble like my legs do!! (well, all the airbrushed celebrity ones anyway!)

So even though I am smaller I am still not 100% happy with my figure. Don't suppose I ever will be lol!
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    I guess its just inbuilt in us, we believe others always look better :noway:
  • kbtooke
    kbtooke Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm having that issue today. I feel like I look good in my shorts and tank top. But I tried on my size 8 jeans today (which fit) but I felt, and looked like a size 16 in them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's a purely mental thing.... I have to remind myself that if I felt good about myself yesterday, I can't possibly look different today in any noticeable way.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, nice to know quite normal.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Cause you're a chick. We do that.
    There are days where I just love to see myself pass the mirror, and then the (increasingly rare) days where I cannot stand my body.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I feel fat most of the time. It sucks.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a mental thing. But I will get my head going about whether the "feeling/looking fat" is reality or "feeling/looking skinny" is. Then I have to cancel all that out and tell myself it doesn't matter, to just stay focused on moving forward.
    It's a purely mental thing.... I have to remind myself that if I felt good about myself yesterday, I can't possibly look different today in any noticeable way.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Dang us for being so hard on ourselves! I"m in the same boat guys!
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's human nature to have those days where you feel better than others. But if it is really bothering you I would say that it's not your weight but some deeper issue that is probably bothering you. Maybe you need to think about what it is other than just what the scale says that is robbing you of the great accomplishments that you have achieved this far. It is natural to want more but you also have to reflect and be happy with how far you have come. Good luck in your journey.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You are very much not alone. I go back and forth like that all the time! I love the way I look some days and other days I feel like a cow. It sucks, but it is what it is... I'm hoping one of these days I'll get over it...
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I totally agree. I had too much sodium over the weekend, and now I'm convinced I look much heavier even though the scale doesn't say that. This seems like yet another one of those awesome things that women get to deal with!
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started this weight lose program weighing 185 and am now down to 157. However I spent the 1st 40 years of my life pretty much average or under weight. During my teens and 20's I was way under weight. 5'5" and 104lbs. No matter how thin I was I still felt fat. I obsessed about it and never liked how I looked in the mirror. Just want to say I know how you feel. I just hope I can be happy getting back to 145 to 140lbs, which would be a dream after the last 10 years being so heavy.

Mary
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Cause you're a chick. We do that.
    There are days where I just love to see myself pass the mirror, and then the (increasingly rare) days where I cannot stand my body.

Truth.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel your pain too. I see myself in pictures from a wedding I attended on Saturday....Even though I know I am far away from the 220+ I was...I still have a lot to go, and the pictures show it. :(

I try, every day, to just find ONE positive thing about my "newer" body....a measurement, an article of clothing that fits better...a compliment (a couple of people did not even recognize me at the wedding!!!) Just focus on that and it does make the journey more pleasant!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. There are some days I think I look great and others where I feel bloated, even after losing 50 pounds and hitting my goal weight. It is just our crazy brains... it is evening out a lot more though.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, at the store I bought a size 1 jeans. A size 1!
    At one point in my life, I was a size 13.
    Looking in the mirror, since I haven't been able to exercise for over a month (due to health reasons) I was actually finding "love handles" on myself and poking at my stomach.
    I think it's 100% a mental thing.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yup, have the same problem. Some days I can put on a pair of jeans and feel skinny while other days I put on the same pair of jeans and even though they fit, I feel fat in them. Total mental thing, I'm sure but once that feeling hits in the morning it is so hard to rid my head of the thought. It brings on that, 'will I ever be truly happy with my body?' question. Frustrating more than anything.