Homemade iced coffee

Options
kathdela
kathdela Posts: 148 Member
So. I love iced coffee, but hate the price, calories, and amount of sugar they throw into it. The problem with making it at home is the coffee either gets stale if you let it cool or watered down if you just throw some ice in.

So I found this awesome "recipe" for iced coffee. It's amazing. After I make one batch, I am set for a couple of weeks!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I'll have to check it out compared to mine.

I like the make my coffee the night before, add the sugar while it's hot, and then stick it in the fridge. In the morning I add the ice and cream, comes out delicious!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I love PW's recipe. Just drank some, and have a new batch brewing on the counter. It's so good. It seems to get bitter if I brew it hot and then cool it in the fridge, but her way tastes much smoother.
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    I am definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    That had a lot of steps. I just do this, it's much more simple.

Put enough coffee in filter for 10 cups of coffee, but only put in 5 cups of water. Turn on the coffee machine to make REALLY STRONG coffee.

Fill a pitcher halfway with icecubes. Poor hot coffee into pitcher. Ice cubes will dilute the strength of the coffee to normal levels and chill it. Store in fridge.

That's it. no messing around with dishes and strainers. Week's worth of iced coffee with minimal effort.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have an espresso/cappuccino machine. I just make a double shot, pour into into a full pint-size glass of ice, add some sweetener and top it off with 2% milk. That comes out around 40 calories and tastes delicious! :-)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    So. I love iced coffee, but hate the price, calories, and amount of sugar they throw into it. The problem with making it at home is the coffee either gets stale if you let it cool or watered down if you just throw some ice in.

So I found this awesome "recipe" for iced coffee. It's amazing. After I make one batch, I am set for a couple of weeks!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/

I don't like any sweetness or cream in my coffee or tea, either iced or hot. I make iced coffee like I make iced tea--I pour strong brewed coffee over ice and drink. Yum!
  • nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love ice coffee in the summer and I have been following PW since her blog started.I just caught her show for the first time this weekend.