How often are you supposed to replace running shoes?

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
I heard around every 500 miles or so. How do you determine when they need to be replaced?

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends on the shoe too. I've had some that were good for about 500 miles, but some that I had to replace around 300. I can usually tell when I start to have pain in my knees or shins, then my shoes are getting old. The shoes I have now are AWESOME and I love them, but I've heard they have to be replaced around 300 miles (I have Brooks Pure Cadences right now). My Nike Pegasus +28s lasted for a really long time before I started feeling any pain. I have joint issues anyway, prone to tendonitis and I have very little cartilage in my knees (thank you years of dance and really small joints), so I've got that as a big indicator to when I need replacements.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I retire mine at around 500 miles. I just seem to get achy feet when they are getting old. It's never because of wear.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things - runner's weight, stride, weather conditions, etc.

I replace mine when the tread starts to look worn. That's probably a little before they NEED to be replaced, but the support is sooo important to me that I'd rather be a little early than a little late and have to deal with leg/back pain.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    They say... you take your old ones in with you and try on new ones....if they feel like clouds in comparison, you are ready for new shoes.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have 5 pair that I wear in rotation, and I replace one pair every couple of months.....I watch for the wear on the treads and how they feel as I run. I have some shoes that need replaced after just a few hundred miles, and some that have lasted around 700.....
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I track the mileage on my shoes (as well as my actual running) on the Runner's World website. I usually start to feel a soreness/stiffness the day or so after my long runs when I hit 350ish and replace by 400.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The guy in my local running shop says a decent pair should last up to 1000km, but that if you get any toe pain, knee pain or shin pain to try a new pair for a few days, to see if that's the cause.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I suffer with pf (no problems with good inserts) and I asked my podiatrist (who is a runner) this very question. He said that most recommendations deal with mileage, often saying anywhere from 300 to 500 miles, and that works for many/most people. But he cautioned that mileage is not very useful for lower mileage runners like myself, because the EVA in running shoes loses resiliency even sitting in a closet. Certainly running compresses it much more quickly, but in the case of lower mileage runners age may be the determining factor over mileage. He told me to never run in anything over six months old, regardless of mileage. He says the breakdown in EVA can contribute to shin splints and other issues even with a pair of low mileage shoes that show little wear. Acting on his advice has let me run without problem for years.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I used to get 350 - 400 and then I switched to a softer shoe. Now I get 250. dang it
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I hear what everyone is saying, but my old pair, that probably has well over 1000 miles are so cozy...i love them. My newer pair have about 500 miles now, and are just starting to feel great. i think I like shoes that are worn out, that's when they just start to feel good. New ones suck. I use Brooks Adreneline. I don't have any pain, so maybe I'm replacing too soon for my taste? I don't know. I use my old ones for running in the rain or on the sand. But, I used them not too long ago for a normal run, and my feet were so happy.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    john - that interesting.
    I generally run 5k a few times a week in summer and thats it, so my shoes are a few years old without doing many miles. I started running again in October just in general cross trainers as I was only doing 10-20 mins at first and had no problems with that, when I got up to 30mins switched to my proper running shoes and after 2 weeks had knee issues, so I am starting to think my shoes may have caused it.
    Im under Dr's orders not to run at minute so am hesitant to buy more shoes till its sorted, but I would be interested to see if it made any difference!!
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    john - that interesting.
    I generally run 5k a few times a week in summer and thats it, so my shoes are a few years old without doing many miles. I started running again in October just in general cross trainers as I was only doing 10-20 mins at first and had no problems with that, when I got up to 30mins switched to my proper running shoes and after 2 weeks had knee issues, so I am starting to think my shoes may have caused it.
    Im under Dr's orders not to run at minute so am hesitant to buy more shoes till its sorted, but I would be interested to see if it made any difference!!

Hmm, that does sound like the new shoes may have caused the problem. Did you go to a specialty running store and let them analyze your gait and make a recommendation? If not you may have bought the wrong shoe for you. I had a lot of problems with shin splints when I started but for me it was lack of conditioning more than the shoes. I had to build up real slow - slower than c25k even. Good inserts are crucial for me, all shoes off the rack hurt me. But I use Sole Dean Karnazes inserts and I'm good to go. As for the six month recommendation of my podietrist, I fudge that a little now that I am conditioned. I buy a Gore-Tex pair each winter and a standard pair each spring. So I am mostly staying within the recommendation but I'll wear the Gore-Tex on cold wet days past the six month date and wear the standard ones on warm dry days past the date. So far so good. Finding the right shoes for you is crucial and may take some specialty store help and some experimentation. Still much cheaper than many endeavors!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hi john,
    the running shoes werent new which I think was the problem.
    they were from a proper running store a few years ago, analysed and fitted and caused me no problems for the small amount I ran every summer. I thought as I hadnt done many miles in them, it didnt matter that they were a few years old but maybe it does!!
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    Hi john,
    the running shoes werent new which I think was the problem.
    they were from a proper running store a few years ago, analysed and fitted and caused me no problems for the small amount I ran every summer. I thought as I hadnt done many miles in them, it didnt matter that they were a few years old but maybe it does!!

I misunderstood, but that makes sense. Yes, for at least some people even very good shoes that are several years old could cause problems. I bought some high quality (Asics Gel-Kayano) shoes and only put maybe 100 miles on them before switching to trail running, so they sat in the closet. Three years later for a time I had to run the roads close to home so I got the Kayano's back out and tried them. The first few runs all seemed great then I started getting sore shins and knees. I then started using my new trail shoes on the road and the issues went away. That is what really convinced me to stay with shoes no more than six months old. Clearly not everyone has this problem, but doing what my podietrist recommended works for me!