Greetings - Any Rheumatoid Arthritis Fighters

Options
insane5150
insane5150 Posts: 93 Member
Hey guys!!! I am thrilled to have joined such a wonderful group. I'm 32yrs old and weight loss has been a struggle all my life. In 2010 I was at my peak of 270lbs. I thought that gastric bypass was my miracle answer. & IT WAS, it showed me that I CAN lose the weight on my own. I was so motivated to lose the 10% pre-surgery weight, that the Dr was ready to do the procedure in less than 2 months. By that time, my mind was in a different mental state, that I declined the surgery and continued my journey. I ended at losing 85lbs *clap clap clap*

After losing all that weight, I started having health problems. I just kept thinking, how is this happening, the Dr's always say, "it's your weight, it's your weight" The most severe was being diagnosed with Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. It took me from an extremely active person, to some days not even being able to move, brush my own hair, open a water bottle, the list goes on and on. That really put me not only in a non active state, but really took a toll on me mentally. Take this pill, that pill, you can't have babies, your hair might start to fall out with this med, you will gain weight with this med.... and boy did I ever. In about 8 months I gained back 35 or the 85 lost, *sigh* I am finally getting myself back mentally... and taking control of my RA rather than it controlling me.

The motivation and encouragement here is soooo strong, I LOVE IT!!!

Replies

• psr1964
    psr1964 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi!

I have RA. I have had it for ten years...with all the ups and downs prednisone can offer! I just came out of a flare up -- need to get the weigh off -- literally off the joints! I look forward to getting on the healthier side again!

Peggy:smile:
  • insane5150
    Options
    Hey Peggy, thanks for sharing!!! I just can't seem to find a med cocktail to put me in remission, so frustrating. It has all happened so fast. I am trying to do anything I can to help, and just like you said get this weight off the joints.

Every workout I do is literally pushing and fighting my way through the discomfort. My knees will lock up, and just become so stiff.... Just yesterday, I found that if I end my workout with biking, that it really really helps. Taking the weight off the joints and extending them was awesome. I am sore after, but can actually bend my leg.

Good luck to you Peggy!!!!! Keep keep keepin' on :smile:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I found cutting out white sugar/sweets helped :)
  • insane5150
    Options
    ^^^^ thank you... I do have to agree... I am just thankful that I am not a sweets person. Though I will admit, I do have 2tsp of granulated sugar with my coffee every morning :-)
  • Incredmrse
    Incredmrse Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 23 and have RA, too. It really sucks, because a flare up will knock me out for a week and then I lose motivation for another week then before I know it I gained back half of what I lost. I'm still in the beginning of my diagnostics, and nothing seems to help.

--Erica :ohwell:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have psoriatic arthritis though, not rheumatoid...but can absolutely relate to the frustrations! Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • Roni_M
    Options
    ^^^^ thank you... I do have to agree... I am just thankful that I am not a sweets person. Though I will admit, I do have 2tsp of granulated sugar with my coffee every morning :-)

Have you tried splenda? I love it in my coffee and no weird aftertaste!
  • insane5150
    Options
    awww *sniff sniff* Erica & Roni....

Even though I know that I am not the only one, but it is nice to know that I am not alone. That there are other people out there that can relate. If you ever come across something you find that helps, please share. RA & weight loss for some reason don't seem to mesh.

Dr suggested water exercise, but I don't have a pool and there is just something about public pools that creep me out.
  • insane5150
    Options
    I have but I think it is something that I would need to get used to. It almost seems sweeter than sugar, but healthier than sugar, but not the same taste as sugar, hahahahaha.... say that 1 ten times fast.
  • Duchess56
    Duchess56 Posts: 1
    Options
    H my name is duchess and reading your post made me to know that I am not alone. Today I pushed through a dvd workout. couldn't do all that they did but i made it to the end. I just joined today and didn't want to let the day go by without posting my 30 minutes of exercise. It was very hard but I really feel better now that it is over. I hope that this post will encourage you to keep moving.
  • insane5150
    Options
    GREAT JOB Duchess!!!!! I wish I could say that it will get easier, but you and I both know that there are some days that are better/worse than others.

Your post certainly does encourage me to keep moving, thank you!
  • debra4647
    debra4647 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was newly diagnosed with RA about 2 months ago. It's not real bad, but some days I hurt all over. The Dr. was surprised he missed it before.
  • insane5150
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Debra... just remember to stay positive. Some of the meds can be scary, flare ups are really uncomfortable, but don't let it take your life away.

One of the hardest parts about RA for me, is that a lot of people don't have the knowledge of what it is. The word "arthritis" is the only word that is familar. Many people shrug it off like its no big deal, they say "arthritis, I have arthritis, just get some cream to rub on it". It is sooo much deeper than that.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Debra... just remember to stay positive. Some of the meds can be scary, flare ups are really uncomfortable, but don't let it take your life away.

One of the hardest parts about RA for me, is that a lot of people don't have the knowledge of what it is. The word "arthritis" is the only word that is familar. Many people shrug it off like its no big deal, they say "arthritis, I have arthritis, just get some cream to rub on it". It is sooo much deeper than that.

That's a huge pet peeve of mine! "Oh yeah, i got arthritis in my knee from an old injury, i just take a tylenol".... NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME THING!! Absolutely drives me nuts.

For those that aren't familiar with psoriatic arthritis, it's not generally as damaging to the joint as rhuematoid but also inflames the tendons and ligaments so it is pretty painful. We also don't tend to have the definitive swelling that rhuematoid has, more of a generally puffiness in the area where the joint and tendons are inflammed. It seems to "travel" around a bit more, from joint to joint sometimes hourly (perhaps this is why it isn't as damaging?). It is also autoimmune and in my case has gotten into my back and hips. My sister in law has juvenile rhuematoid, was dx at the age of four. She is 37 and her fingers are already turning. It breaks my heart to hear someone has rhuematoid... don't hesitate to take the meds the rhuemy reccomends. I know they have scary side effects but they just want to slow the damage down.

I hope you all have many pain free days during you weight loss adventure! :flowerforyou:
  • Ninja_Bunny
    Ninja_Bunny Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am finally going to a rheumtologist on friday (after waiting 2 years) I am not 100 % positive I have it but I am about 98% sure. My grandmas whole family has it. I am in constant pain, or completely stiff for most of my days. It is so frustrating I just want to scream. Some days I can not even lift my arms above my shoulders and I end up hobbling around like a 90 year old. Thank you for the post, it gives me hope!
  • BBV33
    BBV33 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, there are good days and bad with RA. Sometimes fighting fatigue can be hard.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

You might want to try glucose (the industry name for it is "dextrose"). There is a lot of research being done on the dangers of sucrose and specifically, the fructose portion of it. Glucose doesn't cause the metabolic disturbance that fructose does (and sugar/sucrose is 50% fructose). Glucose is taken into the bloodstream directly from the gut, whereas fructose must be metabolized in the liver in a way that is similar to the utilization of alcohol and sugar alcohols (manitol, sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol, etc). Glucose doesn't taste as sweet as does sugar/sucrose. Also, are you making sure that you are getting enough Vitamin D? Vitamin D has an important role in down-regulating a hyperactive immune system (they are using it for MS patients). Finally, have you tried pool exercise? There are several RA patients in my pool exercise class for people with joint disability (I have osteoarthritis) and they say that it has been really beneficial for them.