Weight loss without body fat reduction?

Options
2»

Replies

• 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am also part of Eat More to Weigh Less. I am doing it slow and last week I didn't lose any weight on the scale (actualy gained .8 lbs), but lost .2 pounds of fat and gained .8# of muscle! A small victory, but that is what I want slow progress!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I stayed the same BF% even if I lost 15 pounds. I was just a smaller version of the soft me. Only when I started strenght training, fueling my body properly and getting rid of my scale did my BF decreased
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Like the four ladies before me have said go check out the group Eat More To Weigh Less. You need to fuel your body to get the results you want. They also have a youtube channel eatmore2weighless. Check it out it's awesome.
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and fueling your body properly will get you the bf% and physique you want. I echo what others have said. Visit the Eat More to Weigh Less group.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is a response I got from one of the people on this board I work with. She is 36 years old, 5'4 ish, 154 lbs. I had her eating 2100 calories on lifting days and 1800 calories on non workout days. She did zero cardio, and lifted heavy enough where she failed at 8-12 reps and in 12 weeks here was her response.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm another successful advocate of properly fueling our bodies and strength training ...burn fat, gain muscle .... CHANGE how your body looks and feels. I've been on diet roller coasters since I was 13 ...always utilizing the mainstream low calorie intake and lots of cardio. I finally educated myself and WOW ...yes ! I feel strongly that one must properly eat and incorporate strength training into your life. Yes ..indeed ....can lose WEIGHT without it ...but ME ...I want to lose FAT not just weight. There is a difference. Take a serious READ and Research at the Eat More to Weigh Less Group. I'm paying it forward ...

Ive blogged about my story ...you may find it interesting. My profile is open

Jen
    5'4
    Size 8
    Weight ? Go take a look /read
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hmm, you've lost 12 lbs and suspect that you haven't lost any fat. First I'd say that's highly unlikely and I'd wonder how you're measuring your body fat %. Those measurements need to be very careful. First, some devises are more accurate than others, second you have to take the measurements under the right conditions i.e. my trainer would say "don't do cardio before I take your body fast %". The best way is to take the measurement with the same device, at the same time of day/same circumstances over a period of time and track the trend. That will smooth out little ups and downs.

Besides that, you've lost water weight and muscle. You do not want to lose muscle. A little can't be avoided, but you do the best you can by keeping your calories from getting too low, keeping your protein intake up (1 g per 1.5 lb of body weight) and doing resitance/strength training exercises as opposed to just cardio. The recomended protein intake on this site is too low. I don't know where they get the idea I should only have 45 g.

I hightly doubt that you have not lost any fat in those 12 lbs. Fat % measures are notorious for their margins of error.

Good luck.
  • JoLo27
    JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone :smile:

For those who asked whether I've got smaller, the answer is definitely yes. And I look much better in the mirror naked too!! My clothes are loose, whereas before they were so tight round my waist that I had to undo the button when I sat down. I have probably gone down a couple of bra cup sizes as well.

I've been on MFP since March and have been averaging around 1400 calories a day net. I walk a lot - anything from 5-12 miles at a time, a couple of times a week and i go to Pilates (with machines) once a week, so I'd be surprised if I'm losing muscle.

I've been measuring my body fat on a bathroom scale with this option on it.

I'm not sure that I understand all the different theories but I guess that my challenge now is to introduce some resistence work and to start looking at where I get my 1400 calories from. I'm definitely eating too much fat and sugar. (I was shocked to find out that there are 10g of sugar in a small pot of my favourite organic probiotic natural yogurt!) I will aim to eat more protein and will join the Eat More to Weigh Less group.

There's no doubt I've lost fat around my waist but I really want to crack this and get my body fat % down to under 30%. No good being slim if you're no healthier!!

Thanks for all your support

Jo