Success using Wii games?

Options
Hi Everyone

I'm trying to lose about 25lbs but I'm struggling with exercise. I hate it with a passion. I'm totally gym phobic and I can't run for more than 5 mins at a time. I work in an office so I'm sat down most of the day.

I'm walking for an hour 3-4 times a week and I'm using Wii Fit Biggest Loser for 30 mins every day. I don't know whether that's enough though.

I stick to 1200 calories a day and very rarely eat back my exercise cals. I lost 5lbs last week but have gained a pound and a half this weekend. What are your thoughts on what I'm doing? Has anyone had any success using Wii games?

Thanks

Nicky

Replies

• ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on XBox Kinect dance games too please :bigsmile: BUMP
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on XBox Kinect dance games too please :bigsmile: BUMP

I use the games sometimes, just because its a game doesn't make any less intense! I downloaded zumba last night I will try that out tonight.
  • nicholawelch
    nicholawelch Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been using wii fit+ since the end of feb and have lost 14lbs so i would say yes. I have now joined the gym but it is a great way of getting some exercise and having fun at the same time.

Hope this helps
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nicky, I tried the demo for biggest loser and BOB is hardcore!

I also walk home from on occassion (usually 1h10 mins), but I walk a lot since I don't have a car, I don't really count it unless I want to give myself permission to have some lindt balls :).
  • mellonitis
    mellonitis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new here too I've been on mfp for a little over a month now I started at 150.aiming for 120 and have lost 11 lbs. I just have gotten into working out with the Wii. I have your shape with Jenny McCarthy and ea active zumba just dance and a few others. I have only been using the Jenny one for a little over a week and since I started I have not really lost lbs on the scale but have taken measurements and weekly pics. I have lost a total of 3 inches with it and the calorie deficit.i can c a big difference in this past week. I do the bikini ready and extra challenges.totaling to 30 mins a day 6 a week one off . I plan to start the ea active with my husband in the next few days I'll keep u posted. I could not hang with the zumba I just don't have the rythym just dance didn't give me the desired feedback. I believe the your shape runs about 10 bucks now a days. I enjoy the fact that it's USB camera tho tempermental does not allow u to half *kitten* it with the elimination of the remote in your routine. I always mute it cuz I hate the music and the times the camera doesn't c properly. But on the upside you always burn more than u think...
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    I've found that Biggest Loser really makes my heart pump and I get a sweat on and out of breath so it must be doing some good? I'm only on level 1 of the 5 levels of workouts so I could increase the intensity if I wanted to. There are high intensity workouts on there which last over an hour - surely that's got to be equivalent to doing a gym aerobics class?
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My sister lost a good few dress sizes for her wedding using wii fit. She swore by it!
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think you could also try one of the fitness dvd like kettleworx , thats a 20 min 3 times a week . very nice short work out.
  • witcheekimmie
    witcheekimmie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love my Zumba for Wii. It is perfect because I can set how hard I want it to be according to how I am feeling. If I start feeling like I am not getting a good workout I just up the intensity.
  • mellonitis
    mellonitis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm envious. As much as I want to and try I cannot do the moves I more get embarrassed even alone than anything.. lol
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey last year, Biggest Loser Challenge for the Wii was my form of exercise. I believe it was a 12 week program and I lost over 40 pounds. Now mind you, I was over 300 pounds to start and I also completely revamped my diet, but I believe that it was a big help.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Would be interested to hear what people think of JUST DANCE. I too hate the gym with a passion, I love cycling (but the UK weather has put paid to that for now!! Roll on the spring, fed up of the damn rain!!)...

Tried a few different classes, which I enjoyed but never enough stick with them beyond a couple of weeks.

I've just ordered JUST DANCE 3 for the wii, so will try that. I have Wii Zumba 2 but I'm not very co-ordinated.

I need some "buddies" for challenges, so we can turn it into a competitive thing. I've more interest then.

xx
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes I lost 26 pounds using the Gold's gym cardiovascular work out on the wii
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    We use the Wii Fit Plus DVD. I like it for being able to do activities early in the morning without leaving the house. There is such a variety and my family loves it too. I enjoy being able to check overall level of fitness, track total activity during a day (including activities outside of Wii) and the fact that it keeps track if I'm not doing it everyday. Another way to add to my accountability and activity. I do think it's helped me.
  • trishahedrick
    Options
    I use Wii Fit and i've toned up a LOT! I also use Zumba for my wii and i've lost 10 pounds by using the 2 system games. It's been 2 weeks and i've lost 10 pounds! EGO BOOSTER!(:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have lost some of my weight by using my Wii - Zumba, Biggest Loser, Wii Fit , Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing

It is a great help to those who are gym phobic
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba 1 and 2 for the Wii and I love them both! You get a great cardio workout and work up a good sweat, plus its fun! It takes a bit to learn all the moves but once you have them down you can really get into it!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am just using the Wii fit right now and have lost 8 lbs so far. I am noticing more tone than weight lost. I just keep doing the activites for longer and longer. Hula hoop and boxing kick my *kitten*.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to at least 1400, eat back most of your work out calories and exercise is exercise, no matter the form. You'll see results. Take measurements too, those are more important than the scale..GOOD LUCK!
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    My husband and I use Just Dance 3 and we LOVE it. We definitely build up a sweat while doing it. I can burn 400 + calories an hour doing Just Dance 3.

I just ordered Zumba 2 for Wii and I'll see how that goes. I wanted to get it because I only go to a live Zumba class twice a week and I wanted something for when class is cancelled or for other days of the week.