the dark side of fat loss

Options
Not sure which category this post should actually go in.

Has anybody read this? It's available only online (which is a downside in my opinion). Was hoping to get some insight on it.

http://darksideoffatloss.com/

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at:

"Because if you’re attached to the idea that fat loss is simply a matter of calories in vs. calories out, or that saturated fat is going to give you a heart attack, then you may be surprised by what I have to say."
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Too much blah blah to watch video. Don't feel like really reading, as it seems nothing I read really said a damn thing about his plan. It basically sounds like eat better, get healthier, working out can follow. There is nothing innovative here that I saw. I'll stick to primal life.
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with: Its a gimmick that tells people what they want to hear. That they SHOULD have their cake and eat it too. That it isn't THEIR fault that they are overweight. That there are sympathetic people everywhere that UNDERSTAND how HAAARRRD it is.

-.-
    Its crap. Its propaganda. Run like hell.

Calories in < calories out. Cake calories DO NOT EQUAL salad calories.
    This isn't directed at the topic poster, but for anyone considering buying into that crap: Stop feeling sorry for yourself and looking for a sympathetic short cut. You gained weight over time, you'll lose it over time, but ONLY if you make a lifestyle change. Get over it and just do it.
  • MikkiMcCoy
    MikkiMcCoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I need to write my own ebook and sell it online.
  • tdlsaint
    tdlsaint Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Glanced at it, it doesn't interest me at all. The reason is, it's just another guy trying to sell something that's been true for as long as people have been dieting to lose weight. He tries to make it sound like he knows some big secret, saying stuff like 95% of the people who diet and lose weight end up gaining it all back plus more.... Well, no kidding. NO diet works long term.

You have to make a lifestyle change on how and what you eat. Forever. Commitment.

If we found ourselves in a position where we wanted or needed to lose weight because of the food choices and quantities we made, and we "dieted" to lose that, only to go right back to the same eating habits that caused us to have to diet in the first place.... then of COURSE we would gain it back.

Also, he is a personal trainer that put people on a 1000 calorie a day diet with a 2 hour cardio program to boot.

He's wanting you to pay $39 for what you learn here at MFP for free, and talking about plateaus with starvation mode etc.

Snake oil.
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone just trying to make money off of the lack of healthy people in the world. Take it from someone who has tried every gimmick, get thin fast, you'll look like a supermodel when you're done scheme out there for the last 20 years: I don't believe it at all. you never really hear/read what the plan is about - only that it's NOT calories in vs. calories out. whatever.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    The only take away from this article is that drastic dieting doesn't work. He routinely makes reference to working out for 2 hours and only consuming 1000 calories. He's right that this is not sustainable over time and gererally leads to one giving up on their goals.

Other than that he is a complete idiot. There are probably thousands of people on this website who are proof that moderatley counting calores and exercise will drive results.

This "trainer" tries to breed crdibility by using extreme diets (which is just as unhealthy as overeating) to drive his misguided point.

Bottom line, set a realistic weekly weight loss goal (.5-1LB a week), eat your calories (including what you burn) and you will be just fine.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I dunno, looks slimy to me. I wandered from there to undergroundwellness.com, where there are podcasts and stuff. You could probably listen a few of those to see what it's really all about. While there I discovered a product called 'Squatty Potty' and I think my life is fundamentally changed in some indefinable way.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    author of this like to get an attention and he's getting it.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I read all of that and still have no idea what he's talking about. Gimmick. And he'll get rich off his gimmick. And likely, for a small percentage of people, it will work; we're all different. But at the end of the day, how anyone can say the simple concept of eating clean food and burning more calories than you ingest will not cause you to lose weight...

A lot of us are living proof that begs to differ. :)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Research BMR and TDEE here and you will get a better less gimicky type of plan. Join the group eat more, weigh less as welle
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    dat der math equation no good, need 39.00 book.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Try this on for size.

When I graduated from college 10 years ago, I weighed 171 pounds. Pretty solid.

Now, I don’t make it a habit to use the scale, but on a whim I saw today that my body weight is still 171 pounds.

According to the calories in, calories out proponents, in order to keep my weight the same over the last 10 years, I would have had to eat EXACTLY the same amount of calories as I was expending for energy.

For 10 years. That means if I had even just TEN calories over my limit per day then I would have 10.4 extra pounds of fat on my body right now. And my credibility would be shattered.

To clarify what 10 calories actually IS – it’s 1.5 almonds.

So if I just had 1 and a half almonds more than I was supposed to, I’d be 10.4 pounds fatter right now.

And yet, here I am, standing before you at only 171 pounds.

Am I the only one who finds this incredible?

If this isn’t enough to prove that calories in, calories out doesn’t work, then I don’t know what is.

Just to succinctly clarify his point here. He is saying that because he is the same weight now that he was at another point in his life then that is proof that calories in/calories out doesn't work.....

If his claims were correct then he wouldn't have to make stuff up to try and sell it.