why count one over the other?

Options
i'm just curious. i heard that you should either count calories or count fat not both. why is that? and which one is better to count? i mean it seems that we count calories on here more than fat, but i was just curious. like at work tonight i was looking at different things to possibly snack on. i looked at gummy bears, they had no fat, but only 5 of them had 132 calories! needless to say i didn't eat them.

Replies

• wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i'm just curious. i heard that you should either count calories or count fat not both. why is that? and which one is better to count? i mean it seems that we count calories on here more than fat, but i was just curious. like at work tonight i was looking at different things to possibly snack on. i looked at gummy bears, they had no fat, but only 5 of them had 132 calories! needless to say i didn't eat them.
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Options
    From a weight loss point of view, I believe you want to count calories. This determines whether you gain or lose weight.
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    calories are what counts.
    if your calorie intake is greater than the calories you burn, you gain weight.
    if you burn more calories than your calorie intake you lose weight.
  • readytomove
    Options
    If you think about it, they make themselves mutually exclusive. 1 gram of fat counts for 9 cal, while carbs and protein only count for 4. So, if you count the fat, you are going to keep everything down, but in my opinion, I'd rather count total calories, so that it makes for a more complete picture, you know? Besides, if you count fat grams, then you might try to stay under too much, and you DO need fat to be healthy, and to LOOK healthy (i.e. skin and everything). Don't know if that helps, but it's how I look at it
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It really is kind of tricky. Let's say you eat 1500 calories a day, but those calories are made up of white flour, high sugar fruit juices, white potatoes, etc. You're not going to be losing weight like you would with the same 1500 calories made up of stone ground whole wheat products, high water content vegetables like bell peppers, celery; fats like extra virgin olive oil; a couple slices of orange instead of a glass of juice, etc.

Check out the Sonoma Diet website for tips on great foods to eat. You can sign up for their emails without signing up, and will get some great tips and great recipes to boot.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It really is kind of tricky. Let's say you eat 1500 calories a day, but those calories are made up of white flour, high sugar fruit juices, white potatoes, etc. You're not going to be losing weight like you would with the same 1500 calories made up of stone ground whole wheat products, high water content vegetables like bell peppers, celery; fats like extra virgin olive oil; a couple slices of orange instead of a glass of juice, etc.

Check out the Sonoma Diet website for tips on great foods to eat. You can sign up for their emails without signing up, and will get some great tips and great recipes to boot.

Beepower put it quite well.

I'd like to add that the reason you will have an easier time losing by eating the right amounts of nutrients is that if you eat the foods in the first example, you'll probably still be hungry after a day of 1500 calories and your body will actually MAKE you eat more by giving you tremendous cravings for more food, especially sugars and fat. However, if you eat the healthier way in the second example, the fats and whole grains will help you to feel fuller for longer, and you'll be less apt to get hungry, and 1500 calories might be totally satisfying.

You'll still loose weight if you're over or under on fat as long as you're not over your calorie limit, but eating a good balance of fat, protein, and carbs (don't forget fruits and veggies!) will help make it easier to stick to your calorie goals. My advice is to count calories, but use the fat/carb/protein limits more as a guide - if you're slightly over or under on one, no big deal.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My husband (who's also trying to slim down) complains about a skinny guy at work who's always offering him candy like licorice and telling him, "It's fat free."

If you only counted fat grams and didn't pay attention to calories, you'd be deluding yourself!
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! you have been very helpful!:flowerforyou: