i hate oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• katbiggle
    katbiggle Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm not sure if oatmeal is the same as porridge oats? But that is what I am having for breakfast and it's delicious made with soya milk and bananas, fills you up and stops you wanting to snack as much.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You'd better eat it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    here's a recipe. I got burnt out on oatmeal myself. This made it easier for me, personally...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567976-oatmeal-protein-bake?hl=oatmeal+protein+bake#posts-8322146
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I do too but Quaker has servings individually wrapped that have fruit mixed in(strawberry,banana, peach, maple brown sugar, blueberry)...ADD a little water or almond milk and it's good...you should try it about 130 calories per serving and I buy mine at Walmart:)
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal :D , maybe try put it with a smoothie before you blend it, make healthy raisin oatmeal cookies or eat shredded wheat!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat it raw with some yogurt to soften it up just a little. Like I would eat muesli.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate oatmeal, too. I tried buying the steel cut oats, ick. -___- I gave up on it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    i hate oatmeal, but i want to eat it because it's so good for me. cooked regularly, the smell and taste and texture literally gags me. ive tried the overnight oatmeal...same thing-i cant get past the taste and/or texture. i dont mind it in cookies or granola, i just cant eat it "wet". or in muffins, either. i swear i would rather eat it raw than cooked into a paste or cake. anyone have a recipe or cooking method that might work for me? or lie to me and tell me that cream of wheat is just as good for me! lol

I don't eat anything I hate. Why would I? there is plenty of equally healthy food I do enjoy, so I don't have to choke down food I hate. Don't like oatmeal? Don't eat it.
  • jeanniekw
    jeanniekw Posts: 1
    Options
    I chopped up oatmeal in the magic bullet and added milk to it, was similar texture to cream of wheat. you could try that if you really wanna eat oatmeal
  • FitLink
    Options
    I never will understand why people try to choke down foods they truly do not like. You don't like oatmeal? So don't eat it. There are plenty other foods out there with similar nutritional profiles as oatmeal.

Hear hear!
  • FitLink
    Options
    There are plenty other foods out there with similar nutritional profiles as oatmeal.

such as...? i tried googling foods with the same nutritional impact as oatmeal, but i couldnt find anything. i need help! my cholestrol level is rising as we speak! lol

Oatmeal isn't a magical fix for high cholesterol. You need to eat a balanced diet including more healthy fats and fewer unhealthy fats. Lots of fiber and fruits and vegetables. Avoid white sugar and white flour.

The Mayo Clinic recommends, in addition to oatmeal for lowering cholesterol: fish high in omega 3 fatty acids, nuts, and olive oil.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I never will understand why people try to choke down foods they truly do not like. You don't like oatmeal? So don't eat it. There are plenty other foods out there with similar nutritional profiles as oatmeal.

This. If I don't like something, I don't eat it. Getting to make those choices for myself are one of the many perks of being an adult and getting to buy and make your own food. :)

But if eating it "wet" is your only issue, spread a serving out on a pan, put it in the oven and toast it up. Then just eat it dry. I've actually been known to just eat raw rolled oats without toasting them or cooking them in water first. But you'll want to have a glass/bottle of water handy if you do it that way.

The toasted oats aren't as dry though plus they have all the same nutrients as if you were to cook them in water, and are basically just a plain granola base.
  • frankuckerman7
    frankuckerman7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you on hating oatmeal. I really like oatmeal cookies, but otherwise oatmeal just sickens me. I read online that steel cut oats might be a better way to go if you hate the texture of rolled oats (which I do), so I went out today and bought some steel cut oats. I have managed to eat the entire bowl I just made, but it was hardly a pleasurable experience (even with butter and maple syrup). It just feels like what I would imagine it to be like to eat vomit (pardon the image, but that is the most accurate way I can put it).

To top it off, I also read that in order to decrease your cholesterol by 5 units you'd have to eat THREE SERVINGS of oatmeal per day. What!!! i don't think so. I figure that had to have been a typo, and they actually meant per week. If not, then that is absolutely insane. I wouldn't even get through a tenth of the second serving before hurling it all up.

Someone mentioned the Mayo Clinic's list of 5 top foods to lower your numbers, and luckily, items 2, 3, and 4 are things I love. I think I'll be sticking with those.

Just gotta find out what to do with this oatmeal I bought.
  • frankuckerman7
    Options
    A revision on this issue...I found a way for me to at least be able to get through a bowl of oats. I bought some Country Choice Organic Steel Cut Oats. They come in packets and cook quickly in the microwave. The instructions say to use 3/4 of a cup of water and to cook them at half power for two minutes, stir, then another 2 minutes. This produced a mushy mess which I could barely stomach. So I changed the instructions to use half the water and cook for half the time. I then drizzle on maple syrup (no butter). This produces a much more dense result which is a lot easier to eat. I still don't find it all that pleasurable, but it is at least not totally abhorrent.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal have you been eating? I really like steel cut oats because it has a firmer texture and are not as mushy. I flavor with honey, maple syrup, dried fruit, cinnamon, nuts.
    But I'm with the others, if you don't like it you really don't have to eat it.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am same as you so i just dont eat it often and if i do i make a ground turkey muffin which uses the oats i have left over. For breakfest try egg whites they are yummy and good protien!
  • frankuckerman7
    Options
    To those who keep saying "If you don't like something, then don't eat it," it would be nice if it were that simple, but it isn't. If people only ate what they liked, then far more people who only eat fast food, and the fast food Nazis heads would explode. Far more people would be eating sugar, and the sugar Nazis would be having conniption fits. You don't always have lots of choices based on your circumstances.

You may be the kind of person who really doesn't need that thing you detest eating, but perhaps someone else really does. You don't know what their situation is, so assuming what works for you (don't eat it if you don't like it) will work for them is simply not right. This is probably the biggest failing of the nutrition "arena." Everyone thinks they are an expert.

I don't particularly like drinking lots of water, but I know that I have to, so I do. Grownups do things like this.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but can't STAND the gluey instant oatmeal, especially the stuff that comes in those packs with the flavorings. Ugh, Gross, nasty!

I usually eat the old fashioned rolled oats, undercooked/cooked with less water than the directions say so it doesn't get pasty. Some chopped walnuts, bananas, and a tsp of brown sugar...yum. (or blueberries, strawberries, maple syrup....)

Also Steel cut oats are really good, chewy.....best way to eat them is to toast them slightly before boiling...brings out a nutty flavor.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baked oatmeal? It's more of a bread puddingy texture.
    Search "epicurious baked oatmeal", the first hit should be a recipe by Heidi Swanson that I use all the time.