Ready to do this!!!!

Options
I admit I'm scared to do this..... I'm scared that I'll quit too quick and end up gaining even more weight...
I'm 27 years old. I'm 5ft 4in and I weigh 223.9 as of this morning:frown:
I want this more than anything!! I want the willpower to keep going!! I'm terrified that if I don't start eating healthy and exercising now that in 6 months I'll be 300 pounds...

I'm scared of getting to the point where I'll be so heavy and so unhealthy that I'll develop conditions that won't allow me to exercise...
I'm ready to do this!! I would like some new friends that can encourage me and share ideas... and I as well would be more than happy to give the same support back to my friends.
I have just joined a new gym and bought some workout dvd's for home.

Replies

• Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey you've made the first step! That's more than many people can do.
    My first advice to anyone wanting to lose weight, is not to think of this as a "diet" or a special thing you do to achieve a goal then forget about. Adopt this as a lifestyle change. Think every day how this is the new type of person you're going to be from this point on. And never go lower than 1200 calories. That won't do you any good and it's not sustainable as a lifestyle.

Search out simple, unprocessed foods, as close to their natural form as possible. Load up on veggies, fruit, whole grains, and lean proteins. Drink your water! If you need recipe ideas I recommend Clean Eating. Try to do at least some form of movement every day and keep looking to challenge yourself once something gets 'easy'. Do a combo of cardio and strength training to build fat-burning muscle. That said, it's important not to over train, and incorporate a rest day to keep yourself from getting stressed out.

I'm happy to make friends to give support and feed back, and you can check out some of my meals for ideas if you like.

You can do it!!!!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Good for you to take the first step. Just remember to take baby steps and slowly change things. Slow and steady wins the race! There is a lot of different ideas and opinions here. Take it in and make your choices. This should be a lifestyle change not a diet. Diets fail. Your life is your life. Get ready to live it!
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Welcome here. Let go of the fear, focus on the goal and take it one step at a time. Many small consitent steps will lead to success!
  • nicky521
    nicky521 Posts: 10
    Options
    Congrats! You've started and all you need to do is take it one day at a time! I find this website really helps. It's know it's overwhelming! I'm also 27 and weighed 235 when starting last week. But I've gone to the gym a couple times and I just try to meet my calorie goal everyday and I've already lost 5 lbs. You can do this! Just think about how great you're gonna feel about yourself!
  • gardengir48
    Options
    Hi Jessica, I know what you are feeling. I am 5 4 and my first weigh in was 167. I run my own business and do a lot of heavy lifting so I never really thought I was over weight then I saw my picture at my youngest sons wedding. Yuk...I know if I don't do something now I will look like my older sister. Don't get me wrong I love my sister just don't want to look like her. My work keeps me very active so its hard to exercise more after work. I have been working out on my tread climber for the last 2 weeks and it really makes me feel better about myself. But, sticking with it is going to be a challenge as summer comes in and work picks up. I know I need to do this for myself and I'm going to keep working on it. I don't know much on how to become friends on this site so if you help me out we can stay in touch to keep each other going. Good luck honey
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Don't worry, there is a great community on here to help you when you feel like quitting!!! I love it, and its really helped me!
  • jessicaleighscimeca
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words!! I need to use my fear of getting heavier to work hard at losing!! I can do this! No diet pills, no fads..... just eat less, move more!!
  • sigmabody
    sigmabody Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

I know it seems scary at first but only because we're so used to looking at the top of the mountain before even taking the first step. You've taken your first (joining MFP) and you're all ready to take the next by having people in your corner who want to continue to encourage you! Remember one PLANNED step at a time and before you know you'll be looking down from the mountain top instead of looking up :-)

Please add me as a friend if you like!!