What will you/did you do after you complete(d) your first

Options
...half marathon? Marathon? First race?

I know a lot of people are looking to complete their first half marathon this year, what do you plan to do?

If you've already completed your first half marathon (or other goal race), what did you do?

First things first for me, DRINK A BEER and PIG OUT on a food I've been missing out on since training. And I'm doing to drink a soda!

Then I'll take a few days off then start Insanity.

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I ran my first in March. I had some beer and stew at the finish line..then went to a burger place for dinner..had a turkey burger on wheat bun and sweet potato fries. I resumed my normal training and ran 3 days after my half. My 2nd half is next Sunday (10 days) I tend to do carb load and use that as my pig out day the day before.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I ran my first in March. I had some beer and stew at the finish line..then went to a burger place for dinner..had a turkey burger on wheat bun and sweet potato fries. I resumed my normal training and ran 3 days after my half. My 2nd half is next Sunday (10 days) I tend to do carb load and use that as my pig out day the day before.

That's about exactly what I intend to do! But stew? You ate stew? You must really love it!!! :happy:

I really look forward to that finish line beer tent!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k last November and I got sick sick sick afterward. I pushed myself really hard and finished in 2 minutes faster than my best practice time ever. I did not hydrate during the race. I drank a butt ton of coffee before the race and hadnt eaten anything in nearly 24 hours. Totally dumb on my part. I had a very nervous stomach leading up to the race and didnt eat because I felt so yuck. Well, afterward, I took my kids to our fav lunch place and spent the whole time with my head on the table feeling like I was dying. I made the hour drive home and went straight to bed. I didn't do the things I should have done to take care of myself. Live & learn!!!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I finished my first half marathon in february and I actually had to wait a few hours to eat anything besides a banana, but then I had mexican food and a huge margarita. :)
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    I finished my first half three weeks ago. I celebrated with the surprise picnic with my family that my husband planned!

Then I got on a plane to Mexico two days later and celebrated my 30th birthday on the beach! :)
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I did my first 5k last November and I got sick sick sick afterward. I pushed myself really hard and finished in 2 minutes faster than my best practice time ever. I did not hydrate during the race. I drank a butt ton of coffee before the race and hadnt eaten anything in nearly 24 hours. Totally dumb on my part. I had a very nervous stomach leading up to the race and didnt eat because I felt so yuck. Well, afterward, I took my kids to our fav lunch place and spent the whole time with my head on the table feeling like I was dying. I made the hour drive home and went straight to bed. I didn't do the things I should have done to take care of myself. Live & learn!!!

Oh my goodness! Tsk tsk! :wink: I take the opportunity to carb load before a race. But if you're tummy doesn't agree, that's really hard! I've gone through a few times in my life where I couldn't stomach anything. I finally got some Ensure to get something down. Water is so important too! I'm sorry you had to learn that lesson though, how incredibly painful!!! But you finished, you'll always have that!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I had a giant chicken burger and a pitcher of beer. My first half marathon I had a cheeseburger, 2 pitchers and some fries. My second half marathon I had mimosas, crab cakes and a cookie from starbucks.

What's coming up next is a 10k and spartan race - not sure what i'll be having because i'm on a crazy new program with my trainer. I'm going to have to work something out with her in the next few weeks.
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    I did a half marathon two years ago and had every intention of celebrating the night away at the finish line. It was 94 degrees at 10am when I finished. Instead of my dreams of drinking beer and eating crap, I drank about 3 gallons of water, choked down a chocolate milk, and spent the rest of the day laying on the couch in the air conditioning. Very anti-climatic.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Signed up for my next one.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon a week and a half ago. The plan was to drink my weight in beer afterwards.

I'm not sure which was better, the first beer or going to bed at 9 pm!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Marathon in October, then getting the IUD ripped out. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!