random...

Options
So I was wondering becuase i've heard of it before though i'm sure it's different for every individual. But isn't there a set amount of calories you burn to lose one pound, and also a certain amount of pounds you lose to drop a pant size??? Just curious :flowerforyou:

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    It is a fact that 3,500 calories equals one pound, and generally a 10 pound weight loss = a pant size. The calories hold true for everyone, but I know the pant size depends on your body and how it is proportioned. I've lost almost 30 pounds and I am only down 1 size (though I am still wearing my baggy jeans b/c they're so comfy!)
  • slimmingmom
    Options
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your body too - I lost 6 inches around my waist but only like 3 pounds - definitally could tell a difference in my clothes fitting.
  • supafly
    Options
    It is a fact that 3,500 calories equals one pound, and generally a 10 pound weight loss = a pant size. The calories hold true for everyone, but I know the pant size depends on your body and how it is proportioned. I've lost almost 30 pounds and I am only down 1 size (though I am still wearing my baggy jeans b/c they're so comfy!)

Yep, that's what I've always heard. :smile:
  • kermiefan
    Options
    You know--I've also heard that 3,500 calories equal a pound, but, I'm not sure if that's correct or not for sure....

Why?

Because I've kept track before of calories burned each week and they've totalled up to be that amount yet the scale wouldn't budge--when according to the numbers, it should have. Very frustrating!

I think there are a lot of factors involved that I have to admit that I don't know much about--all having to do with calories needed for body functions each day and each month, plateaus/homeostasis, and basic metabolism type of stuff.

I'd be interested in knowing, though!

And for me, 10 pounds doesn't show much because I"m tall--where as on someone short, 10 pounds might show a lot. :flowerforyou:
  • krt1168
    Options
    The 3,500 Kcal/pound is correct. The reason weight may not correspond in loss to the number of calories lost or the numbe of inches lost is that fat weighs less than muscle. When exercising, you try to burn fat. Gaining muscle will speed up your metabolism so you burn more calories at rest which in turn will help with firming the body. As long as the body is getting in better shape with exercise, I would not concentrate as much on the actual weight loss. To shape and firm instead of build mass (preferred for females), use lighter weight or resistance with more reps.