STARTING TO WORRY

Options

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you are probably replacing fat with muscle, muscle weighs more. so you won't see a loss in weight, but inches. I would think that is a good thing

Oh, lord.

^LOL
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I scrolled through your food report. You have many days where you are eating under 1000 calories, some where you don't track at all, and some where you're not netting over 1200 once you factor in exercise.

You should start by finding out your BMR and TDEE and then eat between the two.

Further to that, sodium is over by a lot on some days. If you're weighing yourself right after that, or after working out, of course you're going to retain more water.

And I would rather see myself shrink than see a scale go down.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hey you!
    i follow your diaries and workouts pretty regularly. You are doing an amazing job and until you said the weight #/BMI was for insurance I was going to say the same as many posters that inches are sometimes better than #s.
    If I were you, I would go on a detox to lose water weight, it is a temporary fix in regards to pounds, but if you can have a physical or whatever measurement your insurance uses, after the detox, then maybe that will help? Also, if your insurance can accept other body measurements, like hydrostatic weighting or other more accurate measurements than just BMI based on weight.
    I'd look at it as finding a way to prove to your insurance your level of health and fitness rather than as a judgement based on your weight.

Hope I helped! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get your priorities straight. So if you dropped 15 lbs but your measurements all stayed the same, you'd be happier??

No, not at all, but I need to drop the pounds for insurance etc. If my BMI was better, I would be ok. Its more about 50 days with limited success, and I am overwhelmed with information.

MY PRIORITIES...? Getting through graduation with my only child!

10 inches in 50 days? I'd love to see that kind of results. Hell, right now, I'd just be happy with the measurements going in the right direction.

As for the insurance, see if there are other ways to deal with it other than BMI, such as body fat percentage. I'm in the same boat (my insurance and its accompanying "health incentive program" frowns on my BMI score), and nothing's more discouraging than seeing the stupid "your BMI says you're too fat," despite the fact that I've already calculated that it's impossible for me to reach a "healthy" BMI range for my height without losing a crazy amount of lean body mass (if I had nothing but lean body mass, I'd still be 15lb over the high end of the "healthy" level, according to the BMI).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Point is being misunderstood.
    Shouldn't my weight go down?

Not necessarily, and it is definitely not linear. There are a lot of variables: water weight, glycogen storage, food in your belly, etc. Keep working. You ARE seeing progress. Don't get discouraged.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get your priorities straight. So if you dropped 15 lbs but your measurements all stayed the same, you'd be happier??

No, not at all, but I need to drop the pounds for insurance etc. If my BMI was better, I would be ok. Its more about 50 days with limited success, and I am overwhelmed with information.

MY PRIORITIES...? Getting through graduation with my only child!

I understand the insurance thing. Even though I am healthy, I still have to pay a higher rate because I am 3lbs over what they think my BMI should be. They have no idea what my body is made of and how healthy I am.
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add other than I know it is frustrating, but keep on doing what you are doing. Maybe play around with calories and macros a bit. And, I also want to apologize for all the people who get off on being mean. I will just never understand that.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling all too well. I admit ... I'm a SLAVE TO THE SCALE ... and IT'S WRONG!
    After 7 weeks, I'm only down 5 lbs - to me that's pretty insignificant, but I've lost inches. I haven't taken my measurements again yet, but my face is thinner and my mom says she's noticing my body change so the inches have to be going somewhere.

I hit the gym 4-5 days a week, doing strength/lifting 2 days and cardio the other 3. I find I'll walk in the morning before work or go do the elliptical or treadmill and where I started noticing a difference was when I changed my cardio to try and work out a bit less but do interval training. I find I get more of a workout doing 20 minutes of interval training (treadmill or elliptical) than I do doing 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill. Plus if I can't get to the gym, I'm working at home doing pushups/lunges/squats and planks etc. which is also helping me.

As much as I still like seeing the number go down on the scale it does mess with my mind - ALOT. I'm noticing I'm toning up in my legs and arms and my clothes are looser. I was just visiting my cousin who I hadn't seen in a few months and the first thing she said to me was "Es.... oh my gosh, you've lost weight" ... that to me was worth more than any number on the scale.

It sounds like you're on the right track and are doing great ... forget the number, if you look better and feel better, then you are better despite the number!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your food out or estimating?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    To you OP

316389_10150363921267358_651517357_8493969_295020276_n.jpg
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    up the protein lower the carbs. I hope that helps! Honestly if i look thinner but the scale didn't budge i could care less! You dont walk around with a scale you walk around with your hot self :bigsmile:
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    And, I also want to apologize for all the people who get off on being mean. I will just never understand that.

I agree. Everyone deals with different struggles and just because yours isn't the same doesn't give you the right to be hateful when someone is asking for advice.

Good luck in getting the results you want. Congrats on your progress! You are doing great.
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would see if they would accept a reading of your body fat percentage. If you are gaining muscle, it has to be going down.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Point is being misunderstood.
    Shouldn't my weight go down?

Not necessarily, especially if you do weight/strength training or high-impact workouts, which not only build muscle, but also increase bone density, and can contribute to water retention (the body uses water to help protect itself from injury).
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just got through mine! 4 months!!!! keep exercising and put the scale up
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    you are probably replacing fat with muscle, muscle weighs more. so you won't see a loss in weight, but inches. I would think that is a good thing

WRONG. Muscle does NOT weigh more
    1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat , it is still 1 lb

however muscle is leaner so you will look smaller.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Oh, lord.

^LOL

What's heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So you've gotten physically and visibly smaller, right? But the number on the scale, which no one sees but you, hasn't changed? I don't see a problem here. Water weight is probably masking any fat loss.

I think this is a new favorite quote and way of thought. Thank you for making a snarky comment that makes complete sense.
  • phantasia01
    phantasia01 Posts: 18
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stop the strength training and do only cardio for the weight loss. Strength training is great but when you want to lose weight you shoudl really stick to mostly cardio. Additionally, I would suggest reducing carbohydrates out of your diet, and reducing sodium which can cause you to retain water weigt etc.