Possible to Be Skinnier Even Tho Scale says No?

Options
Clothes are looser, but this past week, the scale says I have lost nothing new.

??????

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yep. Body recomposition. Ignore the scale. Pay attention to how you feel.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible! You can lose inches and the scale won't budge! So definitely listen to your body and see the difference, and i recommend taking measurements
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!! No doubt about it. Scales are LIARS! I'm not bitter. lol
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    A big YES. Scales only tell the total bodyweight but it doesn't know where the weight is coming from nor does it know how your clothes fit better.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Where's that pic of what a pound of fat versus a pound of muscle looks like...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible! You can lose inches and the scale won't budge! So definitely listen to your body and see the difference, and i recommend taking measurements

this...

since i went into maintainance last september i have put a couple of pounds on over the top of my maintainance 'range' - i wanted to be 122-124, but am now 126/127 but am smaller than i was at my lowest weight of 122... it takes a bit of getting your head round!!!
  • melodymist
    melodymist Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep. Body recomposition. Ignore the scale. Pay attention to how you feel.

Good advice!
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Body recomposition?

Can honestly say I've never heard that term before.
  • LittleRedBoots
    LittleRedBoots Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Body recomposition?

I think what was meant by this is that you are losing fat but if you're exercising you've probably also gained muscle. This would mean you would be smaller but weigh the same amount.
    Options

fatvmuscle.jpg
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You probably gained some muscle and lost fat. :D
    Options
    Body recomposition?

I think what was meant by this is that you are losing fat but if you're exercising you've probably also gained muscle. This would mean you would be smaller but weigh the same amount.

Gaining muscle is not that easy that we may think. It is quite easier for someone who is new to exercise & weight lifting, also called "beginner's gain" & for morbidly obese people. However as you're getting leaner & been exercising for quite sometime now, the muscle gain is becoming more & more difficult & in order to achieve that, you have to eat in calorie surplus. A typical man will gain the most about 0.5lb. of muscle per month while women will gain half of it or 0.25 lb. of muscle per month. Sometimes the reason behind the scale not moving is LBM increase but not necessarily coming from the muscle. Our LBM is composed of muscle, bones, water, blood & vital organs. When we do weight bearing exercises, our bones are also becoming more dense hence we become heavier. The reason that we are becoming smaller & seeing muscle definition on our body despite of the deficit isn't automatically muscle gain, rather we are losing fat & our existing muscles that is lying underneath the layers of fat are now beginning to show. Strength training helps us to minimize muscle loss in a deficit & by conditioning our existing muscles, it raises our metabolism especially after a workout.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

I had NO weight loss for 4 weeks..but I lost a full size and a half. I think my body was just tightening up from all the working out.

I find it extremely hard not to judge by the numbers..but I think of it this way: nobody knows what the number says, but everyone can see what I look like. I don't care if it says 300 lbs if I'm a size 10, LOL

As soon as I started losing sizes, I stuck the scale in the hallway closet. It comes out for sunlight about once a week, just to see..but I've stopped obsessing :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You should take your measurements, then you'll know if its true ;)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Get a measuring tape :)
  • susiek80
    susiek80 Posts: 19
    Options

fatvmuscle.jpg

I needed to see this! You always hear how fat weighs more than muscle, but that's a misnomer. Pound for pound it's the same. But when looking at volume, muscle is more dense and takes up less space!
    Thanks!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    yes! inches over lbs, because ultimately they decide what size you wear. also you just might feel stronger/more fit even if the scale has not moved!