STARTING TO WORRY

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you are probably replacing fat with muscle, muscle weighs more. so you won't see a loss in weight, but inches. I would think that is a good thing

Oh, lord.

^LOL

What's heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Ugh, I'm so sick of people bashing the "muscle weighs more than fat" thing - muscle DOES weigh more than fat!

Fill a mason jar with muscle and another mason jar with fat. The one filled with muscle will weigh more! Of course 1 lb of muscle is the same as 1 lb of fat, they're both one pound. But would you say that lead doesn't weigh more than feathers because 1 lb of feathers and 1 lb of lead weigh the same? No, clearly lead weighs more. It's the same with muscle and fat.

End rant.

It truly doesn't matter because she isn't gaining lean muscle mass. You really need a surplus of calories to increase muscle.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stop the strength training and do only cardio for the weight loss. Strength training is great but when you want to lose weight you shoudl really stick to mostly cardio. Additionally, I would suggest reducing carbohydrates out of your diet, and reducing sodium which can cause you to retain water weigt etc.

this is mostly nonsense

OH MY....I need the weights..
  • elwinberry
    elwinberry Posts: 25
    Options
    So glad you showed the intelligent answer. You can google pictures and see the difference. 1lb of muscle is half the size of fat. So many people dont understand that. Ive only lost 22lbs but ive gone down 3 pant sizes. I do strength training 3 days a a week. Im happy with the visual changes not the scale numbers. However I totally understand the frustration with the insurance. I would try more cardio for now. Drink more water and then more fiber. Good luck. And congratulation on the graduation. Keep up the great work. You will be there in no time.
    you are probably replacing fat with muscle, muscle weighs more. so you won't see a loss in weight, but inches. I would think that is a good thing

WRONG. Muscle does NOT weigh more
    1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat , it is still 1 lb

however muscle is leaner so you will look smaller.

The "muscle weighs more" thing goes by VOLUME, not weight. 1 cubic foot of muscle does, in fact, weight more than 1 cubic foot of fat, because muscle is more dense. That's what that line means.
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    If you're doing WEIGHT TRAINING along with cardio, you're gaining muscle while losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, thus why the scale isn't budging while you're losing inches.

Don't sweat it, keep it up and you'll drop pounds eventually. And in the mean time you'll get to see physical changes to your body, which are more important, IMO.
  • xraylady33
    Options
    I want to thank you for the positive words, and UN thank anyone who has negative crap to add, as i am trying to fix whatever it is I am doing wrong.

I can handle what I am doing wrong, this is why I ask.

i will up the protien, yet again. And add more water again, I lost 70 pounds, and have kept it off, but according to the world, I need to lose 30 more.

I obviously have not figured the calories correctly or something, thats why I asked.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I logged faithfully, I exercised more than I normally would, I drank so much water, my urine was CLEAR, and still the scale hated me. Not sure what finally happened. I got on the scale Saturday and presto.... -2lbs.
    Let me tell you, I WAITED AND WAITED AND WAITED...January to May for that freakin drop!!
    Good luck, wish I had some answers!:flowerforyou:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

I lost 70 pounds, and have kept it off, but according to the world, I need to lose 30 more.

F the world. You look great.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're doing WEIGHT TRAINING along with cardio, you're gaining muscle while losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, thus why the scale isn't budging while you're losing inches.

Don't sweat it, keep it up and you'll drop pounds eventually. And in the mean time you'll get to see physical changes to your body, which are more important, IMO.

Again, there is ZERO chance of her gaining muscle.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    you are probably replacing fat with muscle, muscle weighs more.
    :smokin:

I'm in the same boat and this is the same thing I've been hearing. Don't worry too much, stress can wreak havoc on your progress and overall well-being. I firmly believe that in time the scale will start to move and the benefits I'm reaping along the way (health related) will be there when the scale finally catches up with where my head thinks it ought to be. I hope the same for your progress too. Send me a friend request if you like and we can help each other through it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    And, I also want to apologize for all the people who get off on being mean. I will just never understand that.

I agree. Everyone deals with different struggles and just because yours isn't the same doesn't give you the right to be hateful when someone is asking for advice.

Good luck in getting the results you want. Congrats on your progress! You are doing great.

Thank you...I was looking for what I was doing wrong, not smack down, for making an observation. I appreciate the kind words.

In all fairness, without the insurance context, complaining about not losing weight, while acknowledging that not only are you losing inches, but doing so at a rate of a little under 2" a week (and, worse, not being satisfied with what many see as enviable and dramatic results), is kind of like a baseball player worried about paying his bills because he "only" got $4 million a year on his last contract.

As others have said, you're doing PHENOMENAL. Keep up the real, healthy changes, and look for a loophole or alternative in your health insurance.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Ugh, I'm so sick of people bashing the "muscle weighs more than fat" thing - muscle DOES weigh more than fat!

Fill a mason jar with muscle and another mason jar with fat. The one filled with muscle will weigh more! Of course 1 lb of muscle is the same as 1 lb of fat, they're both one pound. But would you say that lead doesn't weigh more than feathers because 1 lb of feathers and 1 lb of lead weigh the same? No, clearly lead weighs more. It's the same with muscle and fat.

End rant.

Seriously? I don't think you realize what you are saying.

Muscle is MORE DENSE than fat. Your mason jar example is about MASS not WEIGHT.

And a lb of feathers and a lb of lead of course weigh the same, they're a pound.
  • xraylady33
    Options
    In 50 days you should lose weight, much more than you would gain in any muscle you put on (or water weight). Relook your daily caloric needs, and be honest with calories burned. I have been doing this for 7 or 8 weeks, same as you, and I've lost over 10 pounds, and I exercise tons. Also, I eat every single cardio calorie back. With only 2 days of cardio, you may not be burning as many as you think. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound (or eat 3500 fewer), or a combo of the two. It's great you've lost inches, maybe just add more cardio to get rid of more calories. Good luck!

I use a HRM, and burn anywhere from 300 to 500 four days a week. So this is the problem? Not burning enough? With a deficiet I should lose, i thought?
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Stop now, before you lose more inches!!!

Really? Why are some people just mean. She had a legitimate concern and then the mean people show up. Makes me sad that we come here for support and there are rude people that take away that support.

Now, on topic: I really hate that insurance companies use the BMI scale. It is very inaccurate especially if you aren't of average height. It is only accurate from about 5'4 to 5'11 below or above that height makes it unreliable. I'm 4'11" and it says I'm morbidly obese and I wear a size 12. What morbidly obese person can fit in a size 12?
  • xraylady33
    Options
    I logged faithfully, I exercised more than I normally would, I drank so much water, my urine was CLEAR, and still the scale hated me. Not sure what finally happened. I got on the scale Saturday and presto.... -2lbs.
    Let me tell you, I WAITED AND WAITED AND WAITED...January to May for that freakin drop!!
    Good luck, wish I had some answers!:flowerforyou:

thank you! Needed that.
  • Jaebmatal
    Jaebmatal Posts: 3
    Options
    And you have to remember, Muscle weighs more than FAT. The reason you are losing inches is because muscle takes up less space in the body. hang in there - the metabolism will kick in again and the numbers will start to move...
  • Jaebmatal
    Jaebmatal Posts: 3
    Options
    WOW! congratulations!
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    First off I am sorry for all the rudeness of the people responding... It is very frustrating not seeing a difference on the scale. I just wanted to encourage you to keep at it though. Eventually you will see a difference!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not very serious. Log everything, everyday and I noticed you were way under on one day last week. Eating under 1200 will cause your body to hold on to everything, ALWAYS eat at least 1200 calories.

Try eating less processed stuff and and more real, natural foods.

You are doing fine, keep it up and all of a sudden, it will happen. Good Luck.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds, and have kept it off, but according to the world, I need to lose 30 more.
    WTF, why didn't you say this at the start? Maybe you are fine where you are... Change insurance companies if you can.. BMI stands for Bull**** something something (I don't know what the M and I stands for).
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stop the strength training and do only cardio for the weight loss. Strength training is great but when you want to lose weight you shoudl really stick to mostly cardio. Additionally, I would suggest reducing carbohydrates out of your diet, and reducing sodium which can cause you to retain water weigt etc.

this is mostly nonsense

Agree... with the nonsense part :)