New to running, how to keep going without constant water?

Options
Hi guys! I'm really trying to build on my running, and I've been running on a track that's about 1/4 a mile around, I do this until I hit 3 miles, alternating walking and running, but I also take a sip of water each time I do a lap. I got bored of the same constant laps, and began running on a trail that's 2 miles all the way around. But the trouble is that I can't take a sip of water as often, unless I carry a bottle with me, which seems like such a pain! I really notice the difference, my mouth gets so dry and I have a much harder time without the constant sips of water!

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has any tips? Is this struggle just because I'm not a conditioned runner? I try to drink a ton before I start to run, but then I feel like I just have to pee the whole time, haha. Thanks in advance!! :-)

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try loading up on water the day before you run to see if that helps out.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water before I run and none during and my runs last around 45 minutes. My mouth gets "dry" but I spit and it feels better. When I try to drink something during this time it just slows me down. Short runs don't require constant hydration. Your body has enough in reserve. Just be sure to drink after your done.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would drink ahead of time or find a route that has water fountains. I'm no expert, but 1/4 mile is not a very long distance and I think you should be able to get through it without drinking every lap. Are you doing this out of boredom?

If you must have water, you could try looking into one of those Camelback (sp?) backpacks that has a built-in water reservoir. But those are used by people who are running long distances.

If it' a question of dry mouth, you could also try chewing gum if you think you won't choke on it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water before I run and none during and my runs last around 45 minutes. My mouth gets "dry" but I spit and it feels better. When I try to drink something during this time it just slows me down. Short runs don't require constant hydration. Your body has enough in reserve. Just be sure to drink after your done.

This for me too. I can and do take short sips if I'm on my treadmill, but I have to be really careful as drinking too much will make me nauseous!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum while I run/walk. It's just enough to keep my throat from being parched, and I don't have the hassle of carrying a water bottle. With my HRM and phone (I use the C25K app) strapped to my arm, I've got enough to lug around.
  • bwoz11
    bwoz11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water days before.... I also chew gum when I run and keep more in my pocket just in case and I know its gross but when my mouth gets dry I spit a lot haha but I know what you mean I hate carrying water with me when running. not only is it a hassle to carry but I think I use it as an excuse to stop running, when Im really not thirsty.
  • etepler
    etepler Posts: 2
    Options
    Have a large glass 2 hours before. Half a small half glass 15 minutes before.

Camelbacks are amazing and you burn extra calories with the weight.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

This works for me too. I have yet to take water on any of my runs (up to 9 miles) but I drink a bunch when I'm done. As it warms up I'll probably need water on my longer runs.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water throughout the day, and I usually don't have an issue. I would suggest gum to keep your mouth salivating while you run.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    A struggle a little with this too! Great suggestions everyone. I've made it about 5k with no water, but now that summertime is coming, I'm wondering of the heat will get to me...
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do the gum thing too. Pop a new piece in right before i go outside. that will last me for a good 5-8kms. I don't really "chew" and have yet to choke on it.

and drink lots a few hours before you start running. i don't recommend anything right before as the water sloshing around in your belly might make you puke.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just tell your body to shut the *kitten* up and do it's job and run. Tell it that it will get water after it does it's job for you. That should motivate it to finish.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I try to stay well hydrated throughout the day and will drink a little extra before going on a run, except in extremely hot weather I usually don't carry water unless the run is at least 1 1/2 hrs.

As the others have said, chewing gum can help that dry mouth feeling away.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Gum!
    Sounds like drinking water every lap is a habit - try replacing it with something else (i.e. doing a quick stretch)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I can usually go 3-6 miles without worrying about water if I'm hydrated enough prior to my run; but on those hot & humid days I carry a bottle in a hand carrier and take a sip every 15 minutes. For my longer runs beyond 6 miles I will always carry a water bottle and use my fuel belt for the really long ones over 10 miles.
  • sw91684
    sw91684 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Atomic Fireballs, or your favorite candy put a few in your pocket. And of course water, water, water.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm really trying to build on my running, and I've been running on a track that's about 1/4 a mile around, I do this until I hit 3 miles, alternating walking and running, but I also take a sip of water each time I do a lap. I got bored of the same constant laps, and began running on a trail that's 2 miles all the way around. But the trouble is that I can't take a sip of water as often, unless I carry a bottle with me, which seems like such a pain! I really notice the difference, my mouth gets so dry and I have a much harder time without the constant sips of water!

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has any tips? Is this struggle just because I'm not a conditioned runner? I try to drink a ton before I start to run, but then I feel like I just have to pee the whole time, haha. Thanks in advance!! :-)

Are you drinking water because you are actually thirsty, or are you drinking water because you think that is what you are supposed to do and because everybody else says you must?

If you are running three miles, you are not going to get dehydrated running that distance unless you are running in very warm temperatures and do not normally keep hydrated throughout the day.

Seriously, do you training and then have your drink.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Like others I use chewing gum, but since I live in the hot and humid south during the warmer months I take a Fuel Belt with two water small bottles on anything over three miles. This year I'm getting an Amphipod which allows adding or removing bottles as needed based on run length and conditions. I find that the belts work nicely for me, distributing the weight evenly, and they don't jiggle around on me. I also have a Camelback but it gets my back too hot.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    do you feel like you really NEED the water? I agree that water every 1/4 mile is kind of a lot. I think my tummy would be sloshing if I drank every 1/4 mile. I usually take a bottle with me on my runs, just in case I go farther than I planned, plus my trail has drinking fountains every few miles, but most of the time i don't need it, unless it's really hot. the gum can help, esp to start. maybe start weaning yourself down?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just tell your body to shut the *kitten* up and do it's job and run. Tell it that it will get water after it does it's job for you. That should motivate it to finish.

pmsl!

Tell it that it will get water ....:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: