Female lifters, building muscle in the first week?

Options
I have just started lifting the last week or so, 3 times a week and cardio on the days in between. I've been trying to eat as clean as possible keeping it high protein/ low carb and eating at a deficit. So...I promised myself I wouldn't do it but.... I weighed myself this morning.

I haven't even lost an ounce! I know muscle weighs more than fat but is it possible that in a little over a week I've gained muscle and burned some fat, have I just plateaued, or is my body in shock from all the extra exercise! What should I expect? Any advice would be great, I've left my food and exercise diary open for any suggestions! :huh:

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    chances are it's water retention since you're just starting out.

ditch the scale for a couple months and you'll be surprised at how much better weight training will make your body look.
    people get caught up in making the scale move, and end up losing sight of the overall goal, a better body composition.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You might have gained a gram or two of muscle.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'd say your first instinct was right, and you shouldn't weight yourself. Without a fancy scale that measures body composition, there's really no way of knowing what's going on with your muscle and fat ratio. Your food intake looks fine-- one thing you might want to do is set custom goals and change your percentages so you can more easily track 40-30-30 (carbs-fat-protien) or whatever it is you're aiming for. (My home--goals--change--custom)

You should expect to get stronger and gain muscle, which will increase your metabolism, which should help you lose weight. It won't happen in a week.

Don't weight yourself for a month! Take measurements. There are scales that can track body comp, maye you can get one if you want to see progress more often.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Probably water retention (and maybe glycogen but I'm not clear on this). You will probably gain a tiny bit of muscle from "newbie" gains but probably not anything measurable yet.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Probably water retention (and maybe glycogen but I'm not clear on this). You will probably gain a tiny bit of muscle from "newbie" gains but probably not anything measurable yet.

this and be patient.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Muscle that is regularly used will hold extra water. It is internal to the muscle and will make the muscles appear a little bigger. This is a positive because it aids in recovery and output. The suppliment creatine superchanges this effect.
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have been lifting for about a month now..i dont dare weight myself yet LOL..I probably wont weigh myself for another month or so.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    muscle is not easy to gain. you got to be patient (I know easier said than done)...and i agree with the others...ditch the scale for a little bit...the scale doesn't tell you the whole story...just focus on your diet and exercise and eventually you will notice differences in your body...differences your scale wouldn't know about.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

this and be patient.

Absolutely. Right away I stayed totally stagnant, but I could relatively quickly see some changes in my body. Then after a month or so I noticed the pounds begin to come off more consistently (this only because I had a significant amount of fat left to lose...not gonna be too worried about the scale # here pretty soon as I'm getting closer and closer to my goal size). Patience!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Go by how you look in the mirror or by bodyfat percentage.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1lb of anything versus another lb of anything are both still a lb, what makes the difference is how much space it takes up. Muscle will take up less space than the fat.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Go by how you look in the mirror or by bodyfat percentage.
    Definitely!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1lb of anything versus another lb of anything are both still a lb, what makes the difference is how much space it takes up. Muscle will take up less space than the fat.

What weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of lead? ;)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

LMBO. This one always got me when I was younger! "Of course lead ways more!" "Okay... which would hurt more if it landed on you after being dropped off a building?" =)
  • BetterWithAge
    BetterWithAge Posts: 693
    Options
    chances are it's water retention since you're just starting out.

ditch the scale for a couple months and you'll be surprised at how much better weight training will make your body look.
    people get caught up in making the scale move, and end up losing sight of the overall goal, a better body composition.

I totally agree
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Men can gain about 1lb of muscle in about two months depending on how perfect they are. Women, about 1/6th of that.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options

LMBO. This one always got me when I was younger! "Of course lead ways more!" "Okay... which would hurt more if it landed on you after being dropped off a building?" =)

I'd rather have 2 pounds of feathers drop from a building on top of my head than 1 pound of lead. lol
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have just started lifting the last week or so, 3 times a week and cardio on the days in between. I've been trying to eat as clean as possible keeping it high protein/ low carb and eating at a deficit. So...I promised myself I wouldn't do it but.... I weighed myself this morning.

I haven't even lost an ounce! I know muscle weighs more than fat but is it possible that in a little over a week I've gained muscle and burned some fat, have I just plateaued, or is my body in shock from all the extra exercise! What should I expect? Any advice would be great, I've left my food and exercise diary open for any suggestions! :huh:

It's water. Your muscles are getting torn down through strength training and are collecting fluids to repair them. Ditch the scale for a month and revisit then.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No, you gained water, not muscle. As woman to woman, if you are driven by the mighty scale, same as me, you need to weigh yourself once a month a week after your period. Period. :bigsmile: