Healthy Cooking...Cookbook suggestions

Options
poeticallydevine
poeticallydevine Posts: 56 Member
i'm trying to find new and creative things to cook. i see that the biggest loser has a couple of cookbooks. Does anyone have any suggestions for cookbooks like the biggest loser one, or something similar.. thanks for your replies in advance!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The Joy of Cooking is an old book, but there are some awesome healthy recipes in there or ones you can make lighter by substitutions.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've found the most helpful recipes online!! Blogs, recipe websites...I find if you google what you are looking for, you'll find a buncha ideas that you can make into your own!
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    'Cook Yourself Thin' and it's sequel, 'Cook Yourself Thin Faster' are great cookbooks! The chefs teach you a lot about healthy substitutions in their recipes, and my fiance (who grew up on butter and whole milk) LOVES the food from those books. I'd highly recommend them. Each book has several breakfast, entree, appetizer/side, and dessert ideas. Calories are listed in the books for each recipe.

I'd also recommend www.skinnytaste.com, which has great healthy recipes (the chef, Gina, calculates the calories for you, too!). Her site is organized really well so that you can find specific recipes based on what you're looking for (chicken dish vs appetizer vs vegan dish).
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    The best ones I have found so far are Taste of Home Diet Comfort Food Cookbooks. I have to make food that doesn't taste diet so that my husband will actually enjoy it as well. 95% of the recipes I have tried have been delicious, and easy to make for the most part. They are usually 400 calories or under. They have snacks, breakfast, lunch, dinner, side dishes, and desserts.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    All the "Looney Spoons" books are awesome
    and they don't taste like some typical healthier recipes.
    I use these books a lot and they include the nutrition information
    with each recipe which is very helpful.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I use the recipes and cookbooks I already have and just adapt them to be healthier. It's an ongoing learning experience. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    the vegetarian bible has some great easy recipes to help get more veggies in your diet
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Online recipes...my fav is www.skinnytaste.com. Amazing recipes and another one for desserts is chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options
    1) Weight Watchers: I have one from a few years ago. The recipes are listed both with points values and calories & macros. Everything except the bread recipes are tasty.

2) The Belly Off! Diet book goes into some detail about general fitness but includes a section of recipes that my husband really loves. The Men's Health Chili recipe and the spicy chicken "wings" recipe list in the book are both favorites.

3) Cooking Light Magazine and yearly cookbooks are what we go to most frequently. I can't tell you how many recipes I've tried and loved from them. They probably make up 90% of my regulars. Srsly, Cooking Light is the best!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Not perfect, but an incredibly cheery and basic book is

The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

His main book (The Primal Blueprint) has some recipes and I think there's one or more spin-off recipe books.

You can easily find them at amazon, etc.

Generally speaking it's a great book and well worth reading - enjoy!
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    I'd also recommend www.skinnytaste.com, which has great healthy recipes (the chef, Gina, calculates the calories for you, too!). Her site is organized really well so that you can find specific recipes based on what you're looking for (chicken dish vs appetizer vs vegan dish).

just checked this site out... OMIGOD, can't wait to try her recipes. Her format is really helpful, and the pictures are gorgeous!
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    I just added www.skinnytaste.com to my favourites. Thanks for that tip and thanks for the awesome topic idea!
  • tmstebb
    tmstebb Posts: 13
    Options
    Weight Watchers are really good and also Hungry Girl:
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Taste of Home makes some "Diet Comfort Food" cookbooks - they are pretty great. They break it down by different types of meal (breakfast, lunch ,dinner, dessert, etc) and then also by number of calories you want to build a meal around (100-250, 250-250, etc). I really enjoy them. Checked one out at the public library on a whim and ended up buying another one of them - there are 3 out there that I am aware of. Good luck!