Protein shake question.

Options
AmyM713
AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
I'm still confused on how to implement a protein shake into my diet. I usually have one after I do any kind of lifting workout and not on rest days. Here is my silly question, if I've tried to reach my protein intake and still am lacking quite a bit is it ok to use 2 scoops if you have the calories left or should you really only use 1 at a time?

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    The one I use, Aria (it's made for women) calls for 2 scoops. I don't think there's any problem using 2 if you need the protein and have the calories!
  • cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    2 is perfectly fine at one time. I do this if i know i wont be eating until a bit later after my workout
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I use 2. Mix with milk... give me 70-75g protein per shake.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate the taste and it doesn't give you any digestive issues, two scoops should be fine. Just like eating a big le steak :-) I put in 1 tsp peanut butter and 1/4 cottage cheese to up the protein too. Plain greek yogurt will give you some non-powdered protein too, but I don't like the sour taste it gives to the smoothie.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use two scoops also. I sometimes have a protein shake for breakfast, or snacks and after workouts. Hope all this information helps.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between protein for men and protein for women....If you have the calories have 2, 3, 4.... scoops. Use it when you can't meet your protein macro for the day...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would make two separate shakes to spread out your protein intake.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    2 scoops is fine. you don't have to spread them out. if you wanna take two scoops at once that works.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    I've come up with a way to deal with the taste, I use 8oz fat free milk, 1 banana, and 1 to 2 tbsp reduced fat pnut butter. I try to reach my protein goal with food but some days I just don't make it. Thanks for all the answers everyone!!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Your protein for monday looks good...

I drink a protein shake in the morning and one in the afternoon...If you love fruit smoothies...make sure to use greek yogurt or any yogurt and add liquid egg whites....very healthy and lean....

another thing you can do is switch your bread to Arnold's Double Protein Bread....Or make your protein drinks with Soy Milk and Peanut butter to add more protein and healthy fats....
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    TAMMYCLARK62 Posts: 102
    Options
    I am wondering when is the best time to have your shakes....before or after your workout
  • AmyM713
    Options
    Your protein for monday looks good...

I drink a protein shake in the morning and one in the afternoon...If you love fruit smoothies...make sure to use greek yogurt or any yogurt and add liquid egg whites....very healthy and lean....

another thing you can do is switch your bread to Arnold's Double Protein Bread....Or make your protein drinks with Soy Milk and Peanut butter to add more protein and healthy fats....

I love Arnold's bread and haven't seen this so I will look into it, I've never tried soy milk or any other kind but have thought about it. I will check this out, thanks.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    I am wondering when is the best time to have your shakes....before or after your workout

I'm not an expert since I'm the one that posted the question but I think either is fine, you want to use the protein to help repair the muscle after working out, so if you drink before or after it should have the same result. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

After! Protein is recovery food for your muscles.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i drink mine after work-out or sometimes during if i'm working-out for an extended period of time. i freeze fat free milk in ice cube trays and use that as "ice" to make my shake into a smoothie. i use either Muscle Milk or Amplify, and use 2 scoops with no issues.
  • AmyM713
    Options

After! Protein is recovery food for your muscles.

Good to know!! Thanks
  • citymouses
    citymouses Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have an additional question with Protein shakes- I am replacing one meal a day with my shake. I have been having my shake at dinner time. 8oz almond 90 cal milk, 2 scoops Arbonne protein mix, 1 banana, some kind of frozen berry or melon. Is this too much fruit? And is night time not a good time to have your shake for a meal? I work out at night! :smile:
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have an additional question with Protein shakes- I am replacing one meal a day with my shake. I have been having my shake at dinner time. 8oz almond 90 cal milk, 2 scoops Arbonne protein mix, 1 banana, some kind of frozen berry or melon. Is this too much fruit? And is night time not a good time to have your shake for a meal? I work out at night! :smile:

Night time isn't a bad time for a protein shake, but it really isn't the best time for a workout if you can possibly get it in any other time of the day. At the very least, try to make it at least 3-5 hours before bed. And drink your shake after the workout, so you have the protein for recovery.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

I personally keep my fruits before workout...They are fast carbs they are good for energy use before a workout...ever heard the saying the best thing to eat is apple and peanut butter before a workout? That is so true...If possible try to limit your after workout meal to complex carbs like Oatmeal and Protein...I know this is hard because some people can't drink protein without the fruit and such...

I workout at night some days too...and if I am going to have protein at night...It's with water and I blend it with baby spinach and maybe PB if I need the healthy Fats....Dont say it's gross...because after doing that your body will thank you for it...which TASTES SO GOOD!
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    Mine calls for two scoops, I use almond milk or though, your body is absorbs calcium that is plant base better than calcium that is animal based plus it has the added benefit of only being 35 or 40 cal per cup rather then 90