Read if you eat Atheno's hummus

Options
Today I sat down for my afternoon snack of celery sticks and Atheno's spicy three pepper hummus. As I was measuring out my hummus, I glanced at the nutritional value and was dumbfounded. Right there under calorie content it said "60" calories per serving!! I have been eating this particular hummus for a long time and it has always had 50 calories per serving. I checked the MFP database (again) and it said 50 calories and it had been confirmed by 38 users. I was totally confused, but right there on the package it read (yes, I checked again), 60 calories. Well, when I went to the grocery this evening I just had to check one more time. I picked up a container that had an expiration date of July, 2012 and it said 50 calories per serving. Then I picked up a container that had an expiration date of August, 2012 and it said 60 calories per serving!!! What the heck!!! I count every single calorie that goes into my mouth and I realize 10 calories may not sound like alot, but if I ate 2 Tbls. of this hummus every day, that's 3,650 calories a year!! This just makes me mad!! I checked in ingredients and even though it seemed to have the same ingredients, they were in a different order. The one with 50 calories, had peppers as the 2nd ingredient and the one with 60 calories had olive oil as the 2nd ingredient.

Replies

• ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good reminder to double check food labels from time to time! :)

I ate one of those pre wrapped sweet potatos the other day... Biggins Brand that you pop in the microwave and on the package it say 6 oz.

Well then I got to thinking there is no way every single sweet potato is 6 oz unless they have some mad crazy perfect quality control, so I weighed it and it was significantly more... to the tune of 58 additional calories!! If I ate one of these every day (and some people do) that would equal quite a few extra calories!

So yep, check food labels often and weigh weigh weigh
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Pretty common thing to happen. It's one of the reasons there are so many different entries for the same food in the database. I check labels constantly because of it. I've had foods that I entered myself change over time and have to update the entries.

But I'd rather know that the companies were updating their labels to be as accurate as possible and staying on top of changes rather than letting old information stay around when it's inaccurate.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    'Dumbfounded' by 10 calories?
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. You are going to hell now! 10 calories! You probably gained 25 pounds last year because of those! :-)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to be rude to the original poster who is simply trying to relay her experience to be helpful. Grow up people.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    So they changed the recipe. Thanks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They may have added a little more oil to the recipe to make it creamier and that increased the calories.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was the exact same flavor of hummus? That's the kind I eat, but I eat the red pepper kind, not the spicy pepper and mine has always said 50 calories. Just a thought :)
  • katiedidd66
    katiedidd66 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you mines511, I was simply trying to make people aware. I have been working very hard to shed these pounds and yes, a 10 calorie per serving increase is important to me. I am certain that it is the exact same flavor of hummus, that was the first thing I checked. I understand that it's not a "hugh" difference, but every calorie counts for me!
  • poetinmyheart
    poetinmyheart Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you mines511, I was simply trying to make people aware. I have been working very hard to shed these pounds and yes, a 10 calorie per serving increase is important to me. I am certain that it is the exact same flavor of hummus, that was the first thing I checked. I understand that it's not a "hugh" difference, but every calorie counts for me!

I used to eat this and am glad to know in case I start buying it again. Thanks! :)