Running - lower leg burn

Options
Hi all
Hopefully someone might know.
I've started running recently, and first I had a bit of hip pain - still a bit of an issue, but less so now I've got the correct running shoes.
On Saturday though, I developed a burning sensation in my lower legs, I get that even if I'm just walking. It's the front from about half an inch under the knee to about an inch above the ankle. Is this just part of getting fitter e.g. a normal muscle ache or something else...I'm wondering cause I always had the muscles in the back of my legs hurt if I've gone a little further or faster than before, and that feels really different from what I'm experiencing right now.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Katja

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    it sounds like shin splints. Many things can bring these on, such as wrong running shoes, new runner - they do eventually go away as the more you run.

If you haven't been fitted for the proper running shoe based on your gait I would find a running store and get them to put you on their treadmill and they will then video tape you running and then play it back for you so you both can watch how you strike and they will then fit you for the right shoe.

An exercise I was given to develope that muscle was to bend at the waist and place as much pressure on your bent knee(using your hand to apply pressure) and then tap your toes - you will feel some pressure right away but try to do it for 5 minutes on each leg and repeat 3 times a week.

Hope this helps some
  • darrinseats
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but it sounds like shin splints. I have no personal experience but you could google "shin splints" to see if all the symptoms match.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes...it could be shin splints...especially if you have it in both shins.

You will want to take extra care to stretch before and after you run…and I’d even suggest stretching again later in the day just to make sure you’re getting everything loose.

Make sure to stretch your calves/Achilles as well. You can have a partner press down slightly on your feet…..so sit like you’d be doing a sit and reach hamstring stretch but don’t lean forward…just have someone push down on the top of your feet while you point your toes …. Make sure to tell them how much pressure to use to they don’t push too hard or bounce or anything. Get a pack of those little paper Dixie cups you usually keep in the bathroom and fill them about ¾ way with water…freeze it and when you’re done with a run/walk put your legs up and tear off the top of the cup to expose some of the ice and rub it up and down your shin (15 on, then let everything warm back up to room temp and do it again for 15 min). You said you have been fitted for shoes so that’s probably not the issues. You may want to brush up on running form and make sure you’re not doing anything wrong there (especially since you mentioned hip pain as well). Maybe try some NSAIDs and see if that helps. In mild cases you can keep running but if it gets worse or unbearable you may need to take a break until it gets better or go to the doctor to make sure that’s what it is.
    Also, when I ran cross country..before and after we ran we’d lay on our backs with your knees bent up in the air and we’d ‘write’ the alphabet with our toes/foot…it works out those little shin muscles in the front to strengthen them…I would wait until you start feeling better to begin this but it should help prevent shin splints in the future.
    You could tape your shins…I haven’t had to do that since high school though so you’ll want to look up the proper way to do it….you have to use short strips of tape so you don’t do it too tight. Taping the arches also helps if you have arch/pronation issues.

Also: don't know what work out shedule you're using when it comes to walking/joggin/running but if it is shin splints, that type of injury is usually due to overuse/too far too fast/too fast to soon. So if you've upped your speed/distance or don't have any rest days...that may be what brought this on. 'Overuse' injuries are particularly pesky so it's important to jump on treatment right away and stop all together if it's necessary to heal. Shin splints in general is something that generally you can continue your routine with but like I said if it gets worse or doesn't get better then a trip to the doc would be in order.
  • eagle_01
    eagle_01 Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks all! Definitely sounds like shin splints. The things you learn as you go along...
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrible shin splints. The main way I got rid of them was by slowing down but continuing to move. Eventually, over time, I got them less and less until they finally went away. One suggestion I've heard from trainers to deal with them when you are out exercising is to shorten your stride. If you shorten your stride, you will be putting less stress on the affected muscles, which will hopefully ease the pain.