lost weight, gained weight.....sad!

Options
When I was 15, I weighed just under 190lbs. I was unhappy, very VERY self conscious and disgusted at how I let myself get so big! So in march 2011, myself and my sister both decided to lose the weight once and for all. Upon joining MFP, I weighed 176lbs. I never took any before pictures, just started eating 1200 calories and exercising. By August of that year I weighed a nice 158lbs. I was so proud of myself for losing it.

In the mean time, my sister, who I started this journey with went to France for the summer. I worked my *kitten* of exercising and eating well and she enjoyed herself and wasn't too strict foodwise. When she returned after 3 months, she had lost 10lbs and I had only lost a measly 1lb. I was so disappointed! She looked amazing when she returned! After that I seemed to lose all motivation. We had started this journey together, we always would go to each other in the mornings after weighing in and ask each other how much we lost. It was such motivation. But now she is at a healthy weight that she is happy with and here I am after gaining all mine back. I have no motivation. I care, but I don't care if that makes sense!

I'm in a viscous cycle and I don't no how to stop it. I wish I appreciated my weight loss the first time around. Please is there anyone out there who's the same or has a similar experience. I would love if someone could help me get motivated again, I just don't know what to do anymore. Thanks.

EDIT just realised I posted this in the wrong section! Sorry!

Replies

• umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    If you stop and allow yourself to gain weight back, isn't that worse than only losing 1lb?

Use the negative energy you have and get up and work out. Go for a run, bike, dance in your room. I don't care WHAT you do, just do some kind of fitness. Get back on your food diary.

I understand you're losing motivation, so you need to change that mind frame and work harder. If you think your sister looks so great, then work hard to GET TO WHERE SHE IS. :) You can do it. Don't give up.
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Go to the Eat More To Weigh Less group and read about their successes. I know it sounds backwards but it makes so much sense when you understand it. When you're reading the info, think about why your sister was able to eat and enjoy food but still lose the weight.

I hope things get better for you!:frown:
  • jhallboro
    jhallboro Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't even know you but I have faith that you can do it because you did it before.Sometimes it do look like ain't going anywhere but you have to stay focused!!!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the method. There are many ways to get fit. Your state of mind is the key. :wink:
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is your journey, not your sisters. you can not judge yourself by other people. Your sister was in France, I bet she did a lot of walking. Good for her. You need to find the value in yourself to see that 1lb as the first brick in your path to better health. You can do this. Good luck and keep trying.
  • mranselmo
    mranselmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Create a goal for yourself to achieve, and when you get to that achievement, Find something to reward yourself. And Never do it for someone but yourself because at the long run, you will realize you don't want to do it for that someone anymore. Ask yourself and give yourself reasons why you want to lose weight and write it down for you to remind yourself. As for me I want to look the best in my prime. I want to be able to wear all the clothes I want and look good. I want a healthier and longer life. I hope this helps :)
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and regained 15. I found that sticking to 1200 net and exercising moderately didn't do anything for me anymore. I did it strictly for Feb/March and did not lose a pound. That method worked for me before so it was frustrating.

I'm trying to eat more and lift heavy to lose and I'm starting to see the scale move. It's only a tiny bit so far but I think my body is changing.

Join one of the groups that are for lifting heavy: New Rules of Lifting for Women OR Stronglifts 5x5 for women OR Women eating 2000+ calories per day

I know that eating more seems crazy but it makes sense if you eat the proper amount for your body (pay attention to protein/carbs/fat) and just stay a few hundred calories under what you REALLY need. Those groups will help you figure out that number. Mine seems to be about 1800-1900 on non-lifting days and 2000-2100 on lifting days. I'll adjust it in another month if I need to.

It's not a quick fix but I'm expecting to see body fat loss in 3 months. If not, then I'll re-evaluate.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You need to get another weight loss buddy it may help with the motivation. Forget about your sister. If you want to enjoy the success of weight loss and getting to goal you are just going to have to stop moaning and beating yourself up. Think positively and get on with it. You can win if you let yourself. Don't become a yo-yo dieter like I have been for the last 10 years. I can't get those years back. So lose the weight and enjoy your life.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Truth hurts, but it's just what I needed to hear! Thank you all! I really don't wanted become a to yo dieter. I found I am becoming increasingly more obsessed with food and I want it to stop. I decided to lose the weight now as I am young, almost nip it in the bud, before I was faced with any weight related health issues!
  • nathanas85
    nathanas85 Posts: 19
    Options
    In April of 2011, I worked hard with my workouts for two weeks and did not lose a pound. I had to take a step back and check my nutrition. What am I eating? and why is it not working? Remember, nutrition is 70% of your results. Keep your chin up! You can really add some nice variety in your diet eating healthier if you research.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I need to learn more about nutrition so I can fully understand.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Truth hurts, but it's just what I needed to hear! Thank you all! I really don't wanted become a to yo dieter. I found I am becoming increasingly more obsessed with food and I want it to stop. I decided to lose the weight now as I am young, almost nip it in the bud, before I was faced with any weight related health issues!

You can do it Michelle. No reason why you can't and others can. Those that do believe that they will achieve.
    Best advice I can give you about food is to try and eat some healthy foods (don't know what you eat) but also eat foods that you like. Incorporate them into your lifestyle. Don't classify food as good and bad. Eat at a caloric deficit and do some weights to maintain muscle mass. Try and have an active lifestyle then maintain for life.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    I currently don't get to exercise aa much as u would like (major exams in 2weeka) but after them I plan on working my *kitten* off this summer! BRING IT ON!
  • Sroub1357
    Sroub1357 Posts: 13
    Options
    I did the Same thing over the past 2 Years. I started at 180. Busted *kitten* down to 150. Was at a happy weight and stopped working out and paying attention. When I finally noticed again I was back up too 175. It made me depressed and it was VERY VERY hard to get back at it!! I finally one day got up and decided that I needed to just do something. So I started MFP and Running again. I have gotten back to running about 4 miles every couple days and it Feels Great!! I am down to 162!! and I have not given up!! I will be back to 150 before the end of the SUMMER!! If not more!! You can do it, and once you get started again you will feel better!! Trust me. I know its hard and I know you don't believe you can do it again!! I was there and TRUST ME you CAN!!!
  • Michelle650
    Options
    ^^^ than you for your response! And Congrats to you for losing the weight again. I have been big all my teen year, I suppose I can never imaging myself at a healthy weight and size. It's all negative attitude and that's what I need to change first!
  • theCoke
    theCoke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I gained back ten pounds over the last year and it is DEPRESSING! I am going to get back on track and lose it again. Here we go!
  • Michelle650
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I gained back ten pounds over the last year and it is DEPRESSING! I am going to get back on track and lose it again. Here we go!

Here's to us!
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This reminds me on myself as well. I lost 40 lbs two years ago using slim fast. Went from 203-163 (I'm 5"3') and then the shakes started to turn my stomach. I tried to keep it off but my old eating habits were hard to budge. I'm back up to 180 and am trying again to hopefully become "healthy" and not "obese". MFP is already helping me to see where my weight is coming from. I know we can do it!!! Good Luck!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and regained 15. I found that sticking to 1200 net and exercising moderately didn't do anything for me anymore. I did it strictly for Feb/March and did not lose a pound. That method worked for me before so it was frustrating.

I'm trying to eat more and lift heavy to lose and I'm starting to see the scale move. It's only a tiny bit so far but I think my body is changing.

Join one of the groups that are for lifting heavy: New Rules of Lifting for Women OR Stronglifts 5x5 for women OR Women eating 2000+ calories per day

I know that eating more seems crazy but it makes sense if you eat the proper amount for your body (pay attention to protein/carbs/fat) and just stay a few hundred calories under what you REALLY need. Those groups will help you figure out that number. Mine seems to be about 1800-1900 on non-lifting days and 2000-2100 on lifting days. I'll adjust it in another month if I need to.

It's not a quick fix but I'm expecting to see body fat loss in 3 months. If not, then I'll re-evaluate.

This is me! My entire life I yo-yo down 5 up 10 down 10 up 15 and always putting off doing good things for me (exercise, healthy eating etc) because A0 I had plenty of time and B) it was too much of a sacrifice until I woke up one morning and realized A) I'm almost 60 (now I AM 60) and B) I was a 185 pound bowl of flab. I didn't like what I saw and hated how it made me feel! I decided then and there I had to get off my butt and make better more healthy choices. At first I did low cal and light exercise and that worked for a little while, I took off 25 pounds and then stalled. No more weight loss and worse, I was still flabby and unhappy. So I started reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and decided to start weight lifting. I'd done some back in my 30s but not like this book prescribed. It all made sense to me! I'm still in Stage 1, about halfway through and I'm doing this, I've added calories up to 2K on workout days and 1600 on other days (yea MFP says I'm over a lot of the time) Nope I haven't lost any weight, I'm still swapping 3-5 pounds between 158 and 162 but I'm eating about 500 calories more each day than I'd been eating and I haven't put on any weight. Really! My shape is totally changing!
    NSV#1 I have bicep and shoulder muscles that weren't there 3 weeks ago - real definition. NSV#2 that flabby roll at my waist is much smaller! and NSV#3 for the first time in 25 years, I'm wearing size 12 pants.

This whole experience is a journey for me back to being lean, healthy and fit. I didn't get this way overnight, and I don't expect to get there overnight either!

... but hell yea it works!

Michelle, whatever you decide to do, try and find the fun and keep your focus! Make it a life change, not just a temporary means to an end. The food industry in general are not our friends! They are businesses trying to make money and they are just as sneaky and underhanded as any other big business can be. Eat whole foods, stay away from the junk and processed foods, and put lots of fresh and fresh frozen veggies into your diet!

I have total faith that you can do this if you decide to you really want it! Friend me if you want, I'll be your cheerleader!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements, workout, eat well and forget the scale for a while. Sometimes you gain weight while losing inches, I know I have and if I didn't have my measurements I'd think I was doing something terribly wrong.
    I don't do 'sympathy' or coddling I'm afraid, I don't think that does anybody any good... but I can empathise. But nobody else can do this for you, you have to decide for yourself that you're worth it and stick to it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!