Anyone familiar with Kettlebell workouts?

Options
I've been doing a kettlebell workout a couple times a week along with other workouts. Just trying to mix things up to get some movement with my weight. Has anyone tried any of the work outs out there and what are your experiences with the kettlebell workouts? I'm really feeling (not yet seeing) the different muscles being worked. I wondering if I should do more days week...any advice? Thanks!!!

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm interested in learning more about this, too. I've been eyeballing some kettlebells in the store but have put off buying them as of yet.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Was just thinking about buying a kettleball today!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump for info
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about them, but also heard to avoid of you have back problems due to the nature of swinging between legs and such
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    i have one, but i don't really know what to do with it. so far my trainer has only shown me one exercise using it, and it was just squats, holding a kettlebell haha :)
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I love my kettlebell! I use it when I can't get into the gym.. I just look up videos on YouTube.. Most kettebells will come with a workout DVD though. They're not too bad :-)

The DVDs are a good idea if you're new to kettebells, because they usually teach you how to do the exercises properly.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell workouts. I follow a DVD from Lauren Brooks I got on amazon.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm interested as well. I just bought a kettlebell. I have seen some lower body exercises I want to try, but am looking for others as well. I can't remember the name of the exercise right now, will have to look it up. I'm going to google it when I get home.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Jillian has a DVD Shred it with weights that you can use a kettle bell with. It is a good workout.
  • E024431
    E024431 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do kettlebell workouts and use the Jillian Michaels shredd it with weights. There is 2 levels on this DVD, so once you master Level 1 you can move on to Level 2 and/or Use a heavier weight on Level 1. I am down 25lbs in 12 weeks and really love this workout.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    To switch it up, I have been doing tabata training with kettlebells to make it more HIIT. I usually just YouTube my moves. One example is a burpee to a clean or a two jump squat into figure eights.

But YouTube has some good workouts.
  • losingitlittlebylittle
    Options
    I saw someone above mention not doing kettlebells if you have back problems... If your form is correct, you shouldn't be using your back at all. Most of the philosophy behind kettlebell workouts is using your whole body to move the weight. I had back surgery a little over 2 years ago, and I had great luck with kettlebells - really increased my strength and stamina. Just make sure you are doing it right. Unless you've trained with a pro, I really don't think they are a good at-home workout. So many people do it wrong, and can really get injured. Even the videos/DVDs I've seen aren't great unless they come from Art of Strength. Just my two cents...
  • Kalebs8mom
    Kalebs8mom Posts: 42
    Options
    I use the kettlebell within my workouts at the gym. Here are a few -- love them!!! 1) you swing the kettlebell between your legs and up above your head --- you have to squat while doing this. 2) you squat to pick up off the floor with one hand and lift above your head (like you were putting something up on a shelf) and then squat back down bringing it to the floor and changing hands. If you can't lift above your head bring up to your chin. 3) holding it out in front of you while doing squats. 4) what we call "farmers walk" and you tote the kettlebell over your head (keeping your posture straight) or we have had two of them and hold down to our sides. 5) side sit-up -- lay on the floor with left knee up, kettlebell in right hand and straight above your head and then sit-up aiming to your left side while keeping your arm straight, then repeat with the other hand. Hope this helps.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend enough getting a good coach for beginners with Kettlebells. Jillian Michaels (from my understanding) is really despised by many kettlebell enthusiasts because of her poor coaching techniques.

My muay thai coach is a kettlebell nut, and has multiple KB certifications, and he was key in straightening out my form.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend enough getting a good coach for beginners with Kettlebells. Jillian Michaels (from my understanding) is really despised by many kettlebell enthusiasts because of her poor coaching techniques.

My muay thai coach is a kettlebell nut, and has multiple KB certifications, and he was key in straightening out my form.

This is true. I heard about that. You know i had a lot of my kettlebell techniques corrected when i attended a crossfit intro class a while back. That might be a good idea. There are many crossfit locations that offer free one week passes.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Love Kettlebells :heart: ! I totally agree with the other posters about learning proper form. The kettlebells are very different from free weighs. You can check out Youtube for lots of good videos. It's an amazing work out but does take time to see the results.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY KETTLEBELLS!!! Definitely keep with it -- you will love the results! I use Kettleworx (www.kettleworx.com) dvd's, which basically turns it into a combination of strength and cardio training at the same time. I highly recommend this program. It's a 6 week program, and you never do the same workout twice, so there's plenty of muscle confusion (this is a good thing - your muscles don't get accustomed to the same routine). My brother in law is a certified personal trainer, and he swears that if he'd known about kettlebells sooner, he never would have used anything else! I feel the same way. Kettlebells provide a total body workout rather than just working isolated muscle groups. Can't get any better than that!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Ryan Shannahan is a great kettlebell coach. www.kettleworx.com I love these dvd's! He stresses proper form, and although his personality is a little goofy at times, he's not nearly as annoying as JM or some others ;)
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebell workout. I am using the Kettle Worx DVDs

http://tv.kettleworx.com/
  • jennylee1219
    Options