My Very First 5K~ Success!

Options
Jenn152
Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
I can't lie, I am so ridiculously proud of myself at this moment I can hardly put it into words. I am just under 6 feet tall, and have been an athlete my whole life. I play on rec sports teams even now. With this being said, I played sports (basketball, volleyball, and softball) where long distance running was NOT on the coniditioning regimen! Don't get me wrong, we ran, and ran a lot, but most of it was sprinting...

Fast forward about 10 years and roughly 50 pounds later... I decided to get myself out of the bad health hole I was heading down and take my health back. After losing some weight I started telling myself it would be a good thing to try to teach myself how to run and try to ENJOY it! Enter the C25K program. I was skeptical of it at first, "I don't need a program, I can do this on my own..." but about 6 weeks into it, I was really liking my progress and I signed up for my very first race (The Y-Me Race at Your Pace in downtown Chicago on Mother's Day)! I was super nervous and very excited all at the same time.

I did all my training on my treadmill, and came to the realization that running outdoors on the street is QUITE a different experience when I did a trial 5K run outdoors last Friday after work... And it was rough, but at least I knew what I was in for on Sunday. So, I could harldy sleep at all on Saturday night, and I got up at 5:30am on Sunday to get ready and headed downtown. I met my best friend and went to meet the rest of the team.

2v3lngm.jpg

We went through the pinning of the race bibs (running for my aunt and my friend who are survivors) and took some pictures and then headed over to the starting area. There were about 30,000 people around volunteering and running/walking in the race... so it was pretty intense! The race started and off we went. It was invigorating and I hadn't even THOUGHT about walking until about 1.5 miles into it... My friend was super encouraging and so supportive keeping me going the whole time! It was amazing. When I wanted to give up running and just walk for a while... a little girl who was probably 10... ran by me and did a CARTWHEEL and then kept running... And I thought to myself, "Suck it up sister!!! She is 10 and she is beating you~ with some acrobatics in between~" So, I ran... and I kept running... And I am proud to say that I SPRINTED the last couple blocks to the finish!

2yjsv1v.jpg

I may have run slowly, and I admit I did walk about 3 times for a few seconds each time, but I did it! I finished it and I am so proud. 3 months ago I could walk and walk and walk.... but I couldn't run for more than a minute or two at a time. And yesterday... I ran for 37 minutes and 3.1 miles. I am in awe of myself and my abilities. It just takes a little grit and determination and plenty of love and support along the way, and you really can do anything you set your mind to. You.Just.Have.To.Try!

Replies

• js25698
    js25698 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Great job!!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great run!!!!!
  • VickyJo21
    VickyJo21 Posts: 9
    Options
    Well done and a great job :flowerforyou:
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Good job...you are my twin! I have a very similar story. After my 1st I was hooked and I resolved in January to run a race every month in 2012. I've done 4 and am doing a Warrior Dash this weekend. Hang in there!
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and WTG! Hard work pays off. I am running my first 5k the 4th of July hopefully I do as well as you did.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done! \o/ Keep up the good work :drinker:
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you Jen!! :smile: Great job! (Next stop...cartwheels mid run)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yay Jenn! My inner child is doing cartwheels FOR you (not passing you)! SOO proud of you!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I am SO proud of you! What an inspiration!
  • Kmackenzie22
    Kmackenzie22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I've been telling myself for the last 3 years i'm going to RUN a whole 5k but I always fall off over the summer months and end up run/walking any 5k I do. Thanks for the inspiration, I want to start trying to run again and run a 5k in September!
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I remember my first 5K!!! It's such an awesome feeling isn't it! Don't stop though! I made the mistake of not signing up for another one right away and it took me almost a year to do another (My first was June 2011, My second was this last saturday!

Great Job and keep going! :)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Now you gotta run an 8K!!! I did the Shamrock shuffle 8K this past month April! :bigsmile:
    If oyu need a running partner let me know!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    well done you! Congrats!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Love the story of the little girl too LOL...
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    Gives me hope...I start W3D1 tomorrow of the C25K program.
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That is a huge achievement!!! :happy:
  • Cheeessseee
    Cheeessseee Posts: 29
    Options
    Great Job Jenn! let me know when you wanna go run sometime
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!